PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody own a mobile detail business

Pages : [1] 2

gmblack3
01-29-2003, 06:22 PM
What I mean by mobile is using a van or something to go to there customers. It would have a power source and be able to carry water to wash the cars. My question is around how much does a rig like that cost.

Jngrbrdman
01-29-2003, 07:17 PM
There are a couple places you can go to get an idea of what a set up like that costs. It just depends on how much you want to be able to do with it. I ran a quick search on Google and came up with these sites:

www.marsinternational.com

www.nationaldetail.com

www.appearance-plus.com

www.mobileworks.com

I`m sure there are others out there. That`s just a few though. :xyxthumbs

imported_Intel486
01-29-2003, 07:33 PM
What are you going to haul it in?

A good generator will run about $2000 w/ tax.

You`ll probably want a nice gas powered pressure washer too. They run around $700. Water tanks varry in size but can be $150 and up. I think you need like 12 gallons of water per car.

You might also want to think about getting reclaim equipment to suck up your water. You can make a reclaim mat out of tarp and 2x4s or you can buy one for around $900.

Right now I don`t have water tanks or a generator. I`m using my customer`s stuff. I will be getting a generator soon. I haven`t decided which one I`m going to get though.

gmblack3
01-29-2003, 07:38 PM
Thanks guys

This will get me started.

imported_NHBFAN
01-30-2003, 12:13 AM
What kind/amount of insurance would you need?

WJM
01-31-2003, 10:39 AM
Intel your mobile and using the customer`s stuff how`s that

working out for you and do you ever plan on getting a tank

or maybe a shop?

imported_Intel486
01-31-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by WJM

Intel your mobile and using the customer`s stuff how`s that

working out for you and do you ever plan on getting a tank

or maybe a shop?

It works ok. I just carry a long extension cord and a hose. Surprised by how many people don`t have hoses. I`ll also sometimes have to run a power cord from around the house to where I`m working.

I plan on getting a generator next. I then want to get a covered trailer w/ a water tank, pressure washer, and possibly a reclaim system.

Nagchampa
02-01-2003, 12:20 AM
TopOfTheLine (http://www.topoftheline.com) also has an informative page on setting up a detail business. Look for the step by step outline.

416 Auto
02-01-2003, 09:31 AM
I have everything I need exept a tank to carry water. Does anyone know where I can get one in Canada????

Also do the tanks have some kind of pump to get the water to the washer or does the pressure washer suck it from the tank.

I am launching my business April 1 2003 and I want to be completely mobile.

We have done a ton of job`s already but we are official April (taxes and junk..........lol)..

Twice now I couldn`t do a job because there was no water source. so I NEEEEEEEED a tank.

Is it worth the money investing in a carpet extractor?????

Right now I use the Oxi-Tide mix in a spray bottle solution.

I spray the carpets let it soak in and then scrub it with a damp brush then vacumme it up. Works pretty good what a lot of work. Any tips on how to use this Oxi- Tide mix.

Good luck by the way................................Clint

Thanks for any tips........

HellrotCi
02-01-2003, 10:06 AM
You might want to check out a Farm & Ranch type supply store. I`m getting my tank from my local Tractor Supply. I wondered about needing a pump to move the water from the tank to the pressure washer. I was talking to a service rep of a detailing supply company who used to do mobile detailing. He said he just used gravity to supply the water from the tank and never had any problems. You can buy a submersible pump for about $50 for those times when you need the extra pressure.

imported_Intel486
02-01-2003, 06:27 PM
You need a carpet extractor do get all the soap residue out of the carpets. Otherwise you can leave residue in the carpet, which can cause it to get dirty fast. Some soaps also leave residue that can damage fibers.

For the water tank you`ll either need to make sure your pressure washer can pull water from the tank or if it needs water pumped to it. Some of the good gas powered ones can pull water from a tank. Some of the cheaper store bought ones are designed to have water pressure coming in from a hose. Even if you got a cheap one you can change the pump on it to handle pulling water.

Nagchampa
02-01-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Clinton

I have everything I need exept a tank to carry water. Does anyone know where I can get one in Canada????

There are usually some advertised in the Tri-ad paper.

grandprixlar
02-03-2003, 12:01 PM
Hey Minviking,

I`m in the process of getting together my mobile rig. Price will vary depending on what you need and if you are able to get some good deals. I just purchased a brand new Porter Cable generator 5500 watts, 9000 max watts, cost $450 on e-bay. I picked up a Karcher power washer from Costco for $300. It`s powered by a 5 horse Honda motor, 50 foot hose and comes with 6 different tips, I saw the same power washer on the web for $429. I just ordered a 5 x 8 Haulmark enclosed cargo trailer this past Friday. It cost me $2,067, with double doors in the rear, side door, stone guard and a vent. That was the cheapest price I found, some places wanted up to $3,000. I`m expecting to pay around $300 - $350 for the water tank after purchasing the straps and shipping and handling. A friend of mine is painting my Logo on the trailer, I`m not sure what he`s going to charge. I`ve got $3,217 into the rig without the cost of having my Logo painted. I already have an extractor, vacuum, buffers, and other supplies.

imported_Intel486
02-03-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by NJDetailer

Hey Minviking,

I`m in the process of getting together my mobile rig. Price will vary depending on what you need and if you are able to get some good deals. I just purchased a brand new Porter Cable generator 5500 watts, 9000 max watts, cost $450 on e-bay. I picked up a Karcher power washer from Costco for $300. It`s powered by a 5 horse Honda motor, 50 foot hose and comes with 6 different tips, I saw the same power washer on the web for $429. I just ordered a 5 x 8 Haulmark enclosed cargo trailer this past Friday. It cost me $2,067, with double doors in the rear, side door, stone guard and a vent. That was the cheapest price I found, some places wanted up to $3,000. I`m expecting to pay around $300 - $350 for the water tank after purchasing the straps and shipping and handling. A friend of mine is painting my Logo on the trailer, I`m not sure what he`s going to charge. I`ve got $3,217 into the rig without the cost of having my Logo painted. I already have an extractor, vacuum, buffers, and other supplies.

When you get that trailer can you post some pictures or email them to me?

Also like to see how you set it up after your done as after a generator I`m going to be looking for a trailer.

Have you tried the generator yet? How does it work? I like that price better than the $1800 Honda :D How loud is it? any pics of it?

grandprixlar
02-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Intel,

I`ll definately post some pictures. I should have the trailer by mid to late March. I`ve been trying to come up with a floor plan. I think I`m going to have to wait until I get the trailer and lay everything out to see how it looks. I know I need to mount the water tank over the axle due to the weight. I`m open to ideas and suggestions if anyone has any. Here`s a picture of the generator and the specs (http://www.porter-cable.net/porcabbsi555.html), it`s $679 on the web plus tax and shipping and handling. I picked it up and paid $450 cash. I figure I saved at least $300. I did not run it yet.