PDA

View Full Version : Possibly the scariest engine detailing advice I`ve seen:

Pages : [1] 2 3

rstype
01-29-2003, 03:04 PM
http://www.apexcone.com/TechProcedures/EngineBayCleaning/ArmorAll.html

Open the hood and absolutely soak the entire engine compartment with Armor All. Everything. Paint, wiring, engine, everything. Close the hood and let it sit overnight.
Armor All in the engine bay overnight is like Easy-Off in an oven. It cleans everything. Leaves a nice shine on your wiring too.
I wouldn`t do this every week, it is expensive to use a pint or so a week...
But just call me picky.

:scared

Has any Autopian tried this before?

http://www.apexcone.com/TechProcedures/EngineBayCleaning/AllDone1.jpg

BradE
01-29-2003, 03:06 PM
Uhhhhh, I don`t think so.

:eek: :scared :nono :down

Steve @ Guru
01-29-2003, 03:10 PM
mmmmm, looks nice! (NOT!) ;)

imported_Intermezzo
01-29-2003, 03:13 PM
I think some of the Armor-All fumes must have gotten into the camera lense....hence the hazy pic.

Neb
01-29-2003, 03:14 PM
i wonder if armor-all is conductive....:scared

Jngrbrdman
01-29-2003, 03:19 PM
Hmmmm.... That engine picture must be the before... Right? That guy needs help...

shaf
01-29-2003, 03:32 PM
Oooookay.... Where the heck did he get this crazy idea that Armor All has magical cleaning powers?

I bet it also does wonders for the alternator, just like all that degreaser and water that`s been sprayed into it.... :rolleyes:

Another example of the danger of a little "know how" in the wrong hands. :sosad

rstype
01-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Worst of all, this method has quite following in several BMW forums. Someone even suggested him (Jim Powell) to patent his technique! His E36 M3 is incredible, though.

:up

Originally posted by Intermezzo

I think some of the Armor-All fumes must have gotten into the camera lense....hence the hazy pic.

Yea, it`s interesting how the "before" photo looks so much clearer than the "after."

:down

dshaw
01-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Yes, yes this was before I joined autopia.. BUT I still use a similar method to clean my engine bay.

1) simple green and an old toothbrush (for the valve cover and other more durable bits) and a old MF for the painted parts

2) rinse very well.. I`ve got an aluminum block so I don`t want to leave an alkaline substance like simple green on for too long

3) Armour-All foaming Tire spray. :) This is where I think I`ll give some of your guys gray hairs. I spray all the plastic bits with a good coat of this stuff. The foam clings well and since it`s for tires lasts for a very long time. I don`t know how good it is for the plastic, but I don`t really care since the everything is being swapped soon. :)

4) another rinse and spot drying with my MF

It works surprisingly well.. I`ll take some pics in the spring when I do it again!

wow, I can almost hear you guys cringe. :)

shaf
01-29-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by spincycle

wow, I can almost hear you guys cringe. :) Actually that makes more sense in my opinion, since AA Tire Foam actually is designed to clean crud off of rubber. ;)

Jngrbrdman
01-29-2003, 03:58 PM
I`ve used the tire foam before on the rubber hoses. I`d never think about soaking down the whole engine bay with normal Armor-All though. The tire foam works really well for when the engine hasn`t been touched in 10 years and the hoses are just brown with crud. Whatever works...right?

Kleanride
01-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by spincycle

Yes, yes this was before I joined autopia..

I did this back in the day too. It was sooooo much easier then the correct method!! It took like 5 seconds...now I have to set aside a half a day to do the Bonneville and Civic engine! :scared :D

imported_Luster
01-29-2003, 04:00 PM
:nono Knows just enough to be dangerous.

"What`s that smell?"

"What`s that SMOKE?!!!!!"

Speaking to insurance agent after the fire:

"But ...........No One told me......."

Redcar GUY
01-29-2003, 04:01 PM
see sig:down

dshaw
01-29-2003, 04:08 PM
4DSC: But I wonder how bad it is for the engine. I use 303 everywhere else in the car, but for the cost it`s hard to use it for the engine. :)

Jngr: Yup, I got my car 6 years old and it made the plastics and hoses look great again. The guy I got it from didn`t even know how to open the hood, let alone clean anything under it!

Dale: Well once there`s an engine in there that`s worth taking care of it`s gonna take me ages too. Not looking forward to that, but I am looking forward to 100 more hp. :)

spin