PDA

View Full Version : Clearkote Quik Shine Review - a little long

imported_memnuts
01-29-2003, 11:11 AM
I finally got to try some Clearkote Quik Shine. One word - Excellent. Because I am a polymer sealant and carnuaba user for my vehicles`s protection and appearance enhancement I have recently been searching for a single QD product that would give equally excellent results on both types of protectants. There are many QD products that have dual uses ( sealant/carnuaba) and some individual product line QD (Zaino`s Z6) that seem to work very well on both also. With the exception of Z6 many have additives that enhanced appearance and cleaning ability of the QD ( teflon`s, silicones, waxes, and alcohol). I was seeking a product that was free of these additives but also forfilled my needs for a QD (appearance ehancement by removing anything that block the "just waxed" appearance of my protected finishes). Adding protection between waxing was never a goal with me. I wax every 3-4 weeks. The quest was to maintain the just waxed appearance between these waxing sessions. Especially right after washing. With all the conversation about Quik Shine over the last few months and Scottwax`s before and after pictures I decided to give it a shot. Scott and I traded products and I also got a Travel Pak from Clearkote to try their Moose Wax ( daily driver) and leather/vinyl protectant.

I am extremely pleased with the results. As mention before, it is sometimes very difficult to detect improvement when the starting finish actually looks great. What a test does demostrates that the finish`s appearance did not diminish. Next is ease of use and usefulness of supplied applicator bottle. Paint friendliness. Ability to use in varying weather conditions ( hot, cold, humid, dry). Quik Shine passed with flying colors. The travel size (4oz) spray bottle and nozzle is the best I have used. It literally sprays out a extremely fine mist that evenly coats the surface. No dripping, running or wasting of product.This fine a mist maybe a problem on a windy day but if the wind is that strong it may not be a good idea to be QD`ing anyways ( settling of dirt/dust on surface leading to paint damage). Quik Shine spreads very well - good lubricity. It buffs off evenly and zero streaking or oily film. Just the paint`s clean "just waxed" appearing finish. Because of this dispensing method the amount of product used per session is very low. A couple of spritzs per panel that all.I can not comment on the quart size sprayer but when order for the first time I would request that Clearkote include an empty 4oz dispenser. A real plus with the Quik Shine is it use on glass. Spritz on buff off - sparkles. It has also been reported by Scottwax that it works equally well indoors or in direct sunlight.

Now I can understand all the praise this product has been getting. The price per quart is rather good $15. If only Clearkote could work on the shipping cost ($8 to Virginia). Since I only would probably use 1 quart per year its not too bad. If Clearkote`s Quik Shine was locally available it would definitely be my preferred QD. With that said it is presently in first place in my detailing toolbox of QD`s (Z6,EO Wet,Duragloss, Meguiar`s, Mother`s). If you are looking for an excellent versitile QD that brings back that just washed and waxed appearance without make-up ( waxes,silicone, teflon) or sealant degrading alcohols this product is definitely worth a try.

I would like to thank Scott for trading with me so I could discover how good the QD is and Mr. Glass for getting me the Travel Pak so quickly.

Recommendation::up :up :up :up

detailbarn
01-29-2003, 01:38 PM
Great review sounds like I`ll be ordering some when I run out of my current QD.:xyxthumbs

mx5gary
01-29-2003, 02:13 PM
You just bumped it to my must have now list! Great review.

imported_Intermezzo
01-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Quik Shine spreads very well - good lubricity. It buffs off evenly and zero streaking or oily film.

I agree completely! This stuff buffs out extremely easily with no smears. Scottwax, what a find!

Also, I`m not sure if you noticed or not but this QD leaves a slicker surface than most of the other stuff I`ve tried. :up

imported_memnuts
01-29-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

I agree completely! This stuff buffs out extremely easily with no smears. Scottwax, what a find!

Also, I`m not sure if you noticed or not but this QD leaves a slicker surface than most of the other stuff I`ve tried. :up

Tony, thanks for bringing up this point.

I totally forgot. This product did so many things right that I over-looked in writing the review this very obvious feature - slickness.

For those who have used Z6 and witnessed its slickness, Clearcoat Quik Shine is the mirror-imagine of slickness.:xyxthumbs

imported_COEX-PILOT
01-29-2003, 10:32 PM
Any comments or ideas how this stuff would work as a clay bar lubricant?

offcenter
01-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by COEX-PILOT

I love Quik Shine as a QD but for a clay lubricant it`s way too expensive. Just use a soapy water mix or the cheapest QD spray you can find (Eagle One, 49-Body ShineƂ® clay lubricant or somtehing similar)

thom
01-29-2003, 10:53 PM
quick shine is really good.good review:xyxthumbs .the gallon 38.oo comes with just the concentrate only about 1/5 of total volume .light er for shipping.then just add water(distilled) is my preference here on the ocean shoreline many thanks scottwax :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :cool::up

Scottwax
01-29-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by COEX-PILOT

It works great for claying. As rad21 said, it may be a little pricey especially if you do a lot of claying, but if you clay once a year or so, I wouldn`t worry about it.

I find using Quikshine for claying makes upselling claying the paint much easier because not only does the clay make the paint slick, but QS seems to make it feel even slicker-sort of a silky feel to it.

Another advantage of QS is that if you haven`t waxed in a while (not usually a problem here), it will make a noticable improvement in the paint, especially on black.

-------------------

Good review, Edwin. Glad you liked the sample I sent you and I am sure Mr. Glass is even happier!