PDA

View Full Version : Monster brakes for the Scooby

Pages : [1] 2

02 t-wrex
01-29-2003, 12:41 AM
Since I do quite a few track days in my WRX I was getting very tired of inadequate brakes... so I called up Stoptech and ordered thier big brake kit :D

So here are the teaser pics, I`ll take more pictures during and after installation and post them tomorrow. They looked pretty big to me in pictures, but once I actually got them in my hand they are HHUUGGEE!!! :eek:

:bounce

Here are the specs:

-328mm x 28mm 2 piece AEROROTOR front rotors, slotted

-ST-40 4 piston aluminum front calipers (same caliper as Ferrari F40)

- 6061-T6 Aluminum caliper brackets

-Stainless steel braided brake lines (DOT approved teflon coated to keep dirt out of the braids)

-slotted rear rotors, stock size

-Axxis Ultimate brake pads

-Motul RBR600 racing brake fluid

http://members.cox.net/drmsd/stoptech.jpg

http://members.cox.net/drmsd/stoptech2.jpg

pingiii
01-29-2003, 01:20 AM
I was watching Two Guys Garage on Speed Channel tonight, and in thier segment on parts they were showing cadminum plated rotors for different cars and trucks. I don`t remember the company that makes them, but it sure sounds like the end of rusty rotors are in the near future.

No more wire brushes or pulling the rotors off to had them bead blasted. Just install and drive. Products just get better and better! Check out Twoguysgarage.com. Enjoy!

Lowejackson
01-29-2003, 08:03 AM
Just on looks alone, they should knock a few seconds off your lap times.

Steven

02 t-wrex
01-29-2003, 11:44 AM
All I want is CONSISTANT brake performance! I`m tired of bleeding brakes and toasting rotors at the track and having to constantly worry about brakes. Every car I`ve had on the track I`ve had to worry about brake fade after only a few hard laps. Best part about the kit is that it`s LIGHTER than the stock brakes, because of the 2-piece rotors with Aluminum hats and aluminum calipers. Less unsprung weight = :D

Alfa 164S - way too small brakes for the size/weight of car, one stop from 100+ and the brakes were starting hurt.

Alfa Milano - Constantaly worrying about boiling fluid because of those pesky inboard rear calipers, finally solved with side-exit exhaust and vented rear rotors.

Subaru WRX - for some reason of another we got smaller brakes on the US version, probably because our version comes with 16" wheels rather than the 17s they get in Europe & Japan :mad: Now I`ll have better brakes than the STi ;)

2wheelsx2
01-29-2003, 12:21 PM
You are going to be using race brake fluid full time? Are the race fluids more hygroscopic than street fluid? Are you not worried about day to day performance? Or do you plan to change the fluid once a month?

02 t-wrex
01-29-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

You are going to be using race brake fluid full time? Are the race fluids more hygroscopic than street fluid? Are you not worried about day to day performance? Or do you plan to change the fluid once a month?

I`ve always used Motul RBF600 in my cars, for street and track. Race fluids ARE more hygroscopic than regular fluid, but I`ve never had a problem with it... although I change fluid once a year, sometimes more. I usually bleed the brakes before each event, so that`s a partial fluid change every other month and then a full fluid change every year or two. Pedal has always stayed nice and firm, but after a while I`m sure the boiling point will be affected by the moisture in the fluid.

2wheelsx2
01-29-2003, 12:46 PM
Oh, I just noticed you`re in San Diego. Probably not as much of a problem as us up here in the Pacific Northwest. But I just might give the race fluid the next time I track my bikes. Thanks.

Lowejackson
01-29-2003, 12:55 PM
Would some sort of ducting not help on the Milano? I would have thought that confidence in the brakes is critical on the racetrack. I think your being a little hard on the 164 though, its brakes are fine (not the best by anymeans) for the road.

It seems strange that the WRX would have different brakes than elsewhere in the world :nixweiss

Steven

02 t-wrex
01-29-2003, 12:55 PM
That`s true, I`m sure the climate here in Southern California helps a lot. The car lives in the garage at night too, so really the only time it`s exposed to moisture is the 5 days per year it rains here ;) :doh

02 t-wrex
01-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

Would some sort of ducting not help on the Milano? I would have thought that confidence in the brakes is critical on the racetrack. I think your being a little hard on the 164 though, its brakes are fine (not the best by anymeans) for the road.

It seems strange that the WRX would have different brakes than elsewhere in the world :nixweiss

Steven

I have brake ducts in the front of the Milano, coming from the foglight openings, but there really isn`t any easy place to put ducting in the rear because of very limited ground clearence. I was actually thinking of replaceing the side windows with Lexan and adding a clear lexan NACA duct to each rear window which would feed a duct that could run through the rear floor area and right to the rear caliper & rotors. It isn`t too much of an issue on the Milano anymore, because I`m not running enduro races here... just 30min sessions.

You`re right, the 164 brakes are fine on the street.. and actually pretty decent with some high-temp fluid and uprated pads, but a little inadequate on the track I think.

I think the US WRX got 16" wheels because of cost cutting, and then the brakes wouldn`t fit under the wheels so they were made smaller. Or maybe it`s because most Americans prefer a squishey ride over performance so they wanted a higher profile tire... I can`t remember the exact reasoning behind it.

Lowejackson
01-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Let us know how these new brakes work.

Steven

02 t-wrex
01-31-2003, 05:02 PM
Ok guys... here are the pictures of the installed StopTech brakes like I promised. The kit fit perfectly and looks awesome. The black anodized hats on the rotors are a nice touch, no more rust! I think I`ll nickname these "The hand of God"! After bedding them in they work AMAZINGLY! Very good brake feel and easy modulation... and NO FADE! :up

Enjoy the pics, sorry the car was kinda dirty :o

Here`s everything I installed:

http://members.cox.net/drmsd/stweb/thekit.jpg

328mm front rotors, 4-pot calipers, SS lines & Axxis Ultimate pads installed:

http://members.cox.net/drmsd/stweb/frontbrake.jpg

Stock size slotted rear rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads, & SS lines installed:

http://members.cox.net/drmsd/stweb/rearbrake.jpg

Front brakes with the wheel installed:

http://members.cox.net/drmsd/stweb/frontwheel.jpg

Rear brakes with wheel installed:

http://members.cox.net/drmsd/stweb/rearwheel.jpg

Size comparison of front brakes, StopTech on left, stock on right:

http://members.cox.net/drmsd/stweb/comparo.jpg

My updated mod list: :D

Vishnu Stage Zero

-catless uppipe

-underdrive pulley

-piggyback engine management

-boost controller

-colder plugs

Prodrive springs

Whiteline Anti-lift kit

17x7.5" Rota SDRs with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis

Stoptech big brake kit

-328mm slotted front rotors

-4 pot front calipers

-slotted rear rotors

-Axxis Ultimate pads

-SS braided brake lines

-Motul RBF600 brake fluid

Painted sideskirts (DIY)

BLACKFIRE! :D

Coming in the next week or so:

Cusco adjustable rear swaybar

Kartboy solid rear swaybar endlinks

Cusco rear strut brace

2wheelsx2
01-31-2003, 05:05 PM
Nice install. Great looks and probably awesome stopping power two. Enjoy! :xyxthumbs

Lowejackson
01-31-2003, 05:09 PM
They look fantastic :xyxthumbs and so much bigger than the original ones. Glad that they work even better than they look.

Those wheel wells and struts need cleaning though :D

Excellent work :up :up

Steven

02 t-wrex
01-31-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

They look fantastic :xyxthumbs and so much bigger than the original ones. Glad that they work even better than they look.

Those wheel wells and struts need cleaning though :D

Excellent work :up :up

Steven

I knew someone was going to point out my dirty wheel wells ;) I`ve been meaning to do it for some time now, but I decided to wait until after this next track event... because one "off track excursion" would make them all nasty again! :eek: