PDA

View Full Version : Confused With Layering Over Time-Help!!!

mpawelek
01-28-2003, 08:11 PM
I`ve read quite a lot in the last week of past posts about hand glaze and then a Carnuba Topper on very good paint with few to no imperfections, which all makes sense for those that want to use a carnuba Wax top coat, but I`m confused on what to do further on down the line. Once you have a Carnuba layer can you later on put hand glaze on top of the old wax or do you assume that after multiple washings there is probably no hand glaze OR wax left on the paint. What I`m confused about is layers of hand glaze, wax, hand glaze, wax, etc etc. Thanks...Michael P.

shaf
01-28-2003, 10:07 PM
I don`t go the glaze-then-wax route, but after several washes wax should still be on the vehicle. Usually it`s the environment that wears away wax and not washing. Theoretically the glaze might still be hiding beneath it, but aren`t sure about this. I think glazing over top of the wax would strip it and most people just keep waxing as much as they like, then glaze when they want to start over. That`s just my take on it and how it works for what it`s worth. ;)

imported_BretFraz
01-29-2003, 12:18 AM
Don`t forget what exactly glaze and wax is and what their jobs are.

Glaze is primarily fillers and oils designed to fill in micromarring and leave a glossy shine.

Wax is designed to provide a protective layer and a high gloss.

So if you glaze and wax, then wash a few times, start to see micromarring, where are those swirls, in the wax coat or the paint itself?

Usually its in the wax coat. So the thing to do is slap on another coat of wax. That should fill in some, maybe most, of the swirls.