PDA

View Full Version : Clear Bra film and Zanio products!

celestin
01-28-2003, 02:23 PM
I`m installing Stongard`s clear bra on my E500 Sport. I`m also applying Zanio products.

Question: I`m looking for any do`s, don`ts, cautions, bewares, got-yas, when I have a clear bra film and using Zanio Bros products. I want to be as perfect as possible! Thanks Mark:nixweiss

TheOzzfather
01-28-2003, 02:58 PM
Careful when you clay on the edge of the bra. Clay can get stuck on the edge and it can be a b!tch to get off.

celestin
01-28-2003, 03:28 PM
I more concerned about applying Zanio to the bra and it`s edges.....!?!?

F1Crazy
01-28-2003, 03:53 PM
Zaino is clear and doesn`t leave any residue, it`s perfect stuff to use on clear bra.

drewski59
01-28-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by F1Crazy

Zaino is clear and doesn`t leave any residue, it`s perfect stuff to use on clear bra.

Agreed!:xyxthumbs

Just be sure to use Z1 or Zfx with that!

:wavey

celestin
01-28-2003, 04:19 PM
Is there any issues or concern with Zanio seeping in the edges and affecting the adhesive? I`m just not sure what Zanio`s contents are and it`s affect.

Steve @ Guru
01-28-2003, 04:23 PM
In theory, the film should apply firm enough to not allow anything to seep under it. Zaino isn`t any mystery chemical - if you`re overly concerned with it, you could run a line of masking tape that covers the edge "directly" - half of the tape on the clear bra, half on the paint.

If you used 1" wide 3M painters tape, you`d have about 1/2" on either side of the seam that would be "protected" against the Zaino. But, again, I wouldn`t worry about it- you could always give Zaino a call if you`re really concerned.

Hawkeye_TDI
01-28-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by mkassab

Is there any issues or concern with Zanio seeping in the edges and affecting the adhesive? I`m just not sure what Zanio`s contents are and it`s affect.

I have the stonguard on my M5. I put it on the front, mirrors and door edges. I would do a very good detail ewith Zaino before you apply it. Otherwise it will amplify the imperfections. The stonguard will stick just fine to the Zaino.

I`ll mirror what hhas been said about clay and residue leaving waxes. They will cling to the edges o9f the film.

You can see mine on this site under the title "Had to put another coat of souveran on" It is visable up close but to the naked untrained eye it`s very stealthy. I like it.

Good luck;

Bruce

celestin
01-28-2003, 07:52 PM
If my car is brand new, in perfect condition, never had wax, Zanio, nothing, are you suggesting I Zanio first the put the Stongard on?

tkr128
01-28-2003, 08:14 PM
It`d probably be nice to apply Z under the bra, before it`s put on, but I don`t know how well the bra might stick to the car afterwards. As others have stated, Zaino is clear and should be perfect over the bra.

I just had a thought, why don`t they make a clear "guard" over the entire car? I mean over the clearcoat, wouldn`t it be easier to maintain that way? If you can put it on part of your hood, why not the whole car? Oh well, my crazy thoughts. :nixweiss

Hawkeye_TDI
01-28-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by mkassab

If my car is brand new, in perfect condition, never had wax, Zanio, nothing, are you suggesting I Zanio first the put the Stongard on?

If the paint is in perfect condition it wouldn`t be necessary. I was reffering to a car with less than perfect appearence.

TKR128,

I don`t think there will be any sticking issues. Mine has been on for 2 years, with a coat of Z2 the day before I had stonguard installed. What I didn`t do was a good swirl removal. The stonguard has made the swirls more visable. Live and learn...:

bow :xyxthumbs :wavey

Bruce

tkr128
01-28-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Bruce Peter

TKR128,

I don`t think there will be any sticking issues. Mine has been on for 2 years, with a coat of Z2 the day before I had stonguard installed. What I didn`t do was a good swirl removal. The stonguard has made the swirls more visable. Live and learn...:

I learned something today! Thanks! :D

Steve @ Guru
01-28-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Bruce Peter

Mine has been on for 2 years, with a coat of Z2 the day before I had stonguard installed.

Bruce, did you install the Stonguard yourself or did an installer apply it? Just curious, because when I was talking to the folks at 3M about the clear bra, they made it a point to reinforce that the surface had to be wax free.

I`m wondering if the installer gave it an alcohol wipe down (as 3M recommends)?

F1Crazy
01-28-2003, 10:21 PM
AFAIK alcohol and water solution is used during 3M Scotchcal film instalation. My guess is that Zaino would be removed during instalation.

From x-pel site:

"2. Prepare a slip solution in one of the spray bottles, filling it with water and adding 2 or 3 large drops of baby shampoo. Prepare the alcohol/water solution using 1 part alcohol and 1 part water.

3. Remove any wax on the surface with the 3M Adhesive Remover and a soft cloth.

4. Contamination such as road tar, grease, oil, silicon and dirt should be removed by spraying the surface to be covered with the slip solution and wiping with a soft cloth."

Hawkeye_TDI
01-29-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by geekysteve

Bruce, did you install the Stonguard yourself or did an installer apply it? Just curious, because when I was talking to the folks at 3M about the clear bra, they made it a point to reinforce that the surface had to be wax free.

I`m wondering if the installer gave it an alcohol wipe down (as 3M recommends)?

Geeky,

I had it installed by Bill Shores durong an installation seminar, held at Westchester BMW. I didn`t think about the alcohol solution he used. Do you think it removed the Zaino?

Bruce