PDA

View Full Version : detailing steps . . . do i need this?

01-27-2003, 05:56 AM
Hi guys, This will be my first major detail on this particular car. The bodywork is in great condition with just light swirl marks, no deep scratches, through washing.....it is 11 years old so this is normal. This is the process im going to use:

1) wash with zymol auto clear

2) meguiar`s clay bar

3) blitz polish by Orbital removed by micro fibre

4) Autoglylm super resin by orbital removed by MF

5) Blitz wax by orbital removed by MF

Question is, do i need a step betweeen 2 & 3 like megs

scratch X or bodyscrub? or will the blitz polish and Autoglym SR

be enough to remove the swirls?

and can i add autoglym extra gloss before the blitz wax

or will it just react with it?

Any help greatly appreciated,

Cheers Mark. (car is glassfibre if that matters?)

01-27-2003, 11:27 AM
anybody give me some advice? . . . please

Jngrbrdman
01-27-2003, 11:48 AM
Clay isn`t going to remove any swirls. In fact, clay has been known to actually introduce new swirls to the finish. That is why it is always a good idea to polish after using clay. Something like GEPC or any light swirl remover should do the trick on those types of swirls. I`ve never used Blitz Polish so I can`t tell you if that will be adequate for what you are looking to acomplish.

ScratchX is made for use on small areas. Its not a total car surface treatment kind of product. It is meant to be used by hand on specific scratches on your car. I wouldn`t recommend using it on your entire vehicle. #1 its a very expensive way to do it and #2 it won`t work as well as if you just got some SMR or Perfect It or something like that. Keep the ScratchX in your collection for door dings and paint swapping and stuff like that. That`s just my suggestion though. Other`s methods may vary.

I don`t know that you need to apply Blitz wax by orbital either. Unless you are using some kind of liquid Blitz that I haven`t seen then the paste wax should just be applied with a foam applicator by hand. It doesn`t really save any time or improve results to use a machine from what I`ve seen. You could remove it with a machine with a microfiber bonnet on it if you wanted to. That would speed things up for sure.

Accumulator
01-27-2003, 01:30 PM
markbigears-I THINK you`ll find the Blitz polish a bit too mild for swirl removal. I LOVE autoglym`s SRP (maybe the only guy on this side of the pond who does :D ), but it is VERY, VERY mild. It definitely won`t do anything for the swirls. As Jngrbrdman said, you will need something additional to remove the swirls (preferably using your orbital) before the SRP. Not sure what you have available over there, but to remove swirls, you`re going to need some kind of mildly abrasive material, i.e., a Swirl Mark Remover of some kind. But note that if the SMR contains fillers (many do), the SRP will remove them and then you`ll probably find that a second pass with the SRP is in order (first pass primarily cleans, second one offers more protection, at least in my experience).

BTW, I apply both SRP and paste waxes with the orbital and remove with microfiber. Works great for me. Jngrbrdman and I are on different sides of the paste-wax-application-by-machine issue ;) but I agree with him that microfiber bonnets, if you can get them, will speed up your removal. Or you can put a microfiber cloth on the car and press your orbital (with a cutting pad) on it and buff off the residue that way; some have had very good results doing this.

01-27-2003, 02:13 PM
many thanks for the replies, as i thought, i need another mild cutting stage, gonna get hold of some megs body scrub me thinks. cheers guys, best regards Mark.

Lowejackson
01-27-2003, 02:38 PM
Mark

The One Grand Polish is not a polish, it is a glaze, so it will do a great job of filling in those swirls but it will not remove them.

The Autoglym would probably have problems sticking to the One Grand. So you could try

1 Wash

2 Clay

3 Autoglym Super Resin

4 Either gaze & Blitz or

Extra Gloss & Blitz

The Super Resin is a mild polish, so it might help a bit and I agree with the others, you dont really need a buffer to apply Blitz.

I have tried various combinations of wax with Autoglym, for me I prefer to add wax ontop of Super Resin but there is not doubt about the depth of shine by using a glaze & wax, it is just a shame it does not last very long.

Steven

Richt
01-28-2003, 04:08 AM
Phone meguairs direct and get some swirl free polish, or no 9. swirl remover, my method is

either of these, after clay, then a coat of super resin, followed by a mild glaze, such as megs show car glaze, or in your case the blitz, followed by the wax.

If im really feeling energertic

i do

megs swirl free polish

Megs hand polish ( very light polish)

Super resin (for protection) very lightly applied little pressure.

Megs show car glaze, adds a little more depth and wetness

Floowed by a coat of blitz or ai speed wax, topped with p21s the next day!