PDA

View Full Version : Streaking from Poorboy`s S&W...

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Aurora40
01-26-2003, 09:23 PM
I tried out the Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe today. I`d washed my car last weekend (hosed outside quick, then QEW in the garage). The car was dusty with a very slight salt dusting to it. The Spray & Wipe worked great and feels very lubricating. However, I noticed substantial streaking from it. I use a DFTowel and very light pressure. I noticed if I went over it with a clean, dry side of the towel it didn`t help. The only thing that helped was to increase the pressure of the towel, but I am not going to do that over the car. So, I went around with Pinnacle Crystal Mist on the paint and Meg`s Quik Det. on the glass and wheels to remove the streaking. This worked fine, but it meant an extra step is required (still worth it for a great quick cleaning, though, and the extra step increased gloss and protection a bit). Has anyone else experienced any streaking with S&W? Other than that, the Poorboys was great.

I also am really beginning to agree with that someone out there (CharlesW, maybe?) about the superiority of the Meg`s Quik Det. sprayer. That thing is awesome. It sprayed sooo much better than the Spray & Wipe and the Crystal Mist. I think I will start recycling them with other QD`s.

imported_Intel486
01-26-2003, 09:45 PM
I also noticed the streaking from S&W. It really wasn`t like an oily streak like the consumer Meguiar`s Quick Detailer but like some hazy stuff on the surface. To get rid of it I had to go over it again with a clean towel.

offcenter
01-26-2003, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aurora40

. The Spray & Wipe worked great and feels very lubricating. However, I noticed substantial streaking from it. I use a DFTowel and very light pressure. I noticed if I went over it with a clean, dry side of the towel it didn`t help. The only thing that helped was to increase the pressure of the towel, but I am not going to do that over the car.

Interesting comment. When I used the DFTowel with ClearKote Quik Shine, I got streaking too. When I use pakshak or microfibertech MF`s I get NO streaking with Quik Shine or Spray and Wipe. I am very happy with Spray and Wipe and prefer it to QEW to clean the car when I can`t do a real car wash. Did you try using a different MF towel?

Poorboy
01-26-2003, 11:17 PM
If there is salt residue on the vehicle like we have here in NY ...you will have to go over it twice...after some experimenting this winter if I spray the Spray and Wipe on salt...the salt seems to absorb it and dissipate, yet leaving the original dirt behind to be gone over a second time. You should never put pressure while waterless washing or QDing that will scratch any finish...for cars without salt, if you had that happen we have found a few answers 1) too much product used 2) too much pressure 3) sometimes the rag, mf or not 4) it needs to be diluted ..upto 20% if I forgot to mention that one...especially those only using it for a QD...

If anyone goes back to product review by blkz28conv Nattybumpo explained best how to use less and get better results....

any other questions???

imported_Intel486
01-27-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Poorboy

any other questions???

Hmmmm... can I have 10 gallons of it for Free? :D

So, since I don`t live where there is salt, then I should dilute it some with water to prevent from getting this haze?

imported_Aurora40
01-27-2003, 07:32 AM
No, I didn`t try using a different MF. I wanted to use the DFTowel because it was so plush. I did try going over it with a clean towel, though (the other side of the DF) and that did nothing. The haze was very dried on. It needed something wet to remove it (or pressure). Also, I mentioned salt, but my car was not salty. It was a very light dust that included some salt. Imagine salt on a dry road after a while. It gets ground up and dusty and flies up on cars. But it doesn`t get all over them because it is dry. So, it looked like a week`s worth of garage dust (which much of it was) but some of that dust was probably salt. The car looked very clean, though. So I don`t think there was dirt left behind. I probably could have used a wet towel and cleaned the car.

So I`ll try a different towel next time and I`ll try spraying less (it occurred where the bulk of the spray was). It sprays in a rather streamed pattern, though, so a lot ends up in one place (no, it wasn`t set on "stream"). I don`t think I`ll try diluting it as I wouldn`t use it as a QD. I don`t really QD my car unless there are some water spots from washing or it`s a protection-enhancing QD. I don`t go through a lot of QD. If I hadn`t had the S&W, I would have waited for it to get a little dirtier and then just washed it (or just washed it because it had been a week or so). Thanks for the tips. I`ll look back at that review, too.

Poorboy
01-27-2003, 11:53 AM
Hi Bob,

Thought about it last night and I think the way you explained it the second time I got the idea that there was too much product in one place...I think we will look for a finer sprayer in the future.

We have found that less product is actually better with little or no pressure at all. What size mf are you using? If you are using 16 x 16 then you should use two and overlap them lightly wiping and turning the cloth back and forth. If you are using larger sized ones like the 18 x 36 I use one will suffice folded in half. Glad you like the Natural Look. Experiment a bit I think you`ll figure out how it works best for you.

Steve

David...no you can`t have 10 gallons free..sorry:eek:

but we are going to have 5 gallon dispensers for the shop

Yes if you are going to use it as a QD on a vehicle after you`ve deatialed it to get rid of dust...definitely dilute and use less...especially since you are using cotton towels vs mf on the finishes...you`ll also find it an awesome window and chrome cleaner as Cola Bear has mentioned :wavey

imported_memnuts
01-27-2003, 12:35 PM
The problem you are having is probably with the DF towel`s very low "wicking" ability. Great detailing towels for using like a Cali duster and final QD buffing. Because of this slow liquid absorbency, I believe rather than absorbing the S&W with its contents (dirt/salt) the DF MF is spreading it around and the S&W is eventually drying before it is all "wicked-up" by the towel. If you would use a more absorbent quality MF this streaking problem should be corrected. Leo (DFTowel) also mentioned that slower movements will increase the "wicking".

I always find it necessary to QD after using Spray and Wash. My use of S&W is to prep the surface so that I can enhance the shine with a QD. I never use it as a one step procedure and only when the vehicle is slightly beyond the QD`ing state.

Hope this helps

:wavey

imported_Aurora40
01-27-2003, 12:51 PM
The DF Towel is 20"x36". I had it folded three times (into eighths). I`ll try out a Pakshak or a terry towel next time, and I`ll try to spread the spray out a bit more. Thanks for the tips. Despite the haze, I like the product. It really feels more "substantial" than a regular QD. It`s a nice tool to have.

BlkZ28, you always QD after S&W because you have to? Or because you want the increased gloss? I`m not sure if you meant it always streaks on you, or if you just meant you always like to QD afterwards. Thanks!

offcenter
01-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

The problem you are having is probably with the DF towel`s very low "wicking" ability. Great detailing towels for using like a Cali duster and final QD buffing. Because of this slow liquid absorbency, I believe rather than absorbing the S&W with its contents (dirt/salt) the DF MF is spreading it around and the S&W is eventually drying before it is all "wicked-up" by the towel. If you would use a more absorbent quality MF this streaking problem should be corrected. Leo (DFTowel) also mentioned that slower movements will increase the "wicking".

I always find it necessary to QD after using Spray and Wash. My use of S&W is to prep the surface so that I can enhance the shine with a QD. I never use it as a one step procedure and only when the vehicle is slightly beyond the QD`ing state.

Hope this helps

:wavey

I couldn`t have explained it better!:bow

imported_memnuts
01-27-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

The DF Towel is 20"x36". I had it folded three times (into eighths). I`ll try out a Pakshak or a terry towel next time, and I`ll try to spread the spray out a bit more. Thanks for the tips. Despite the haze, I like the product. It really feels more "substantial" than a regular QD. It`s a nice tool to have.

BlkZ28, you always QD after S&W because you have to? Or because you want the increased gloss? I`m not sure if you meant it always streaks on you, or if you just meant you always like to QD afterwards. Thanks!

I just always QD afterwards because I feel that even though the S&W removed the majority of the dust/film with an extremely low pressure wipe. I feel that to totally rejuvenate the shine/gloss I desire after using the S&W, I must QD and buff. :wavey

Thanks rad21

:bow

SergC
01-27-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by rad21

I couldn`t have explained it better!:bow

I would second every word in blkZ28Conv post:up and specially about QDing after using S&W.

As much as I love DF`s,for S&W I use MicrofiberTech or YoSteve`s MF.

S&W is a great product:up and here in Arizona I think I don`t need a regular shampoo anymore:D

Serg

NattyBumppo
01-27-2003, 04:05 PM
I haven`t had any streaking or haze problems. Been using JT Int mf towels.

I did have an interesting situation over the weekend with ice. I took the truck to the self serve wand wash and got all the heavy stuff off. Got home and decided to try and use the Spray and Wipe (outside, on driveway) to get it to 100% clean and spiffy. I sprayed about half to 3/4 of the fender and while I was wiping ice began forming on the panel and in the nap of the mf towel. :scared. Needless to say the cleaning session ended there. I don`t attribute this to being a problem with the product of course...just thought it was kinda funny and yet another example of the lengths Autopians will go to to keep their ride looking good.

imported_Intel486
01-27-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Poorboy

David...no you can`t have 10 gallons free..sorry:eek:

but we are going to have 5 gallon dispensers for the shop

Yes if you are going to use it as a QD on a vehicle after you`ve deatialed it to get rid of dust...definitely dilute and use less...especially since you are using cotton towels vs mf on the finishes...you`ll also find it an awesome window and chrome cleaner as Cola Bear has mentioned :wavey

Awesome! I`ll try to dilute it and work with it again. I like to use it on vehicles after I`m done detailing to remove any lint from my drying towels, to give it some extra shine, and to remove any dust if I waxed the vehicle.

Make sure you email me with prices when you get 5 gallon jugs in stock! I`m looking for a good QD as well as someone else I know.

Poorboy
01-27-2003, 06:48 PM
Natty...you :scared me...I did the same thing this afternoon it was 11 degrees on the truck thermometer...:D Took a real warm bottle from inside the house...started going fine :shocked it was turning into ice...like you I stopped there...

FYI I have purposely froze a few bottles and they work just fine after deicing and there is no change in structure.

Natty aren`t you afraid of your doors freezing shut....you keep your truck outside like mine:nixweiss

David....if all you want to use it for is lint....go upto 40%-50% dilution....and will inform you when 5 gallons are avail.