PDA

View Full Version : Pre Heating Paste Wax...

mpawelek
01-26-2003, 08:54 PM
I bought a tin of a well known paste wax this last week that has a perported high content of carnuba wax. I opened it tonight to see if it had any particular smell and noticed that it is relatively hard. Especially in cold weather, does anyone pre heat paste wax to make it a bit easier to apply? I guess floating the tin in a bowl of hot water might be a safe solution. Any feedback ???...Thanks...Michael P.

Jngrbrdman
01-26-2003, 08:56 PM
It is possible. I`ve read about how people will put it in the microwave for a few seconds with the lid off and it seems to work for them. It is supposed to be hard though. Maybe not rock hard, but its not supposed to be that soft. What brand was it?

PS your sig needs to be shortened. 3 lines of text is the max you can have. Thanks! :up

mpawelek
01-26-2003, 09:48 PM
This is a new clear coat/base coat that is only 30 days old so I want to use as mild of a product as possible. I have a neighbor with a similiar new paint job who has used 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and then a top coat of Collinite Marque D` Elagance and really liked his results....Michael P.

imported_Intel486
01-26-2003, 09:51 PM
As long as when you are using it the paste wax is coming off on the applicator smoothly. I know some products seem rock hard but as you start to rub an applicator on them it comes off and goes on the paint like butter!

Do you have any pics of your Fords?

mpawelek
01-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Yes, Here is the address to my projects pages with some pictures. Sorry for the pop up banners you might get, my ISP has chainged their rules and I have to live with it for a short time...Michael P.

http://www.geocities.com/mpawelek@swbell.net/

imported_Intel486
01-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by mpawelek

Yes, Here is the address to my projects pages with some pictures. Sorry for the pop up banners you might get, my ISP has chainged their rules and I have to live with it for a short time...Michael P.

Says your outta bandwidth :(

MnRiverman
01-26-2003, 11:32 PM
The 3M SCPW is really hard at first, but once you start rubbing the applicator into the paste, it heats up and gets a lot smoother.

What wax are you using?

rstype
01-27-2003, 12:28 AM
Problem #1 - the wax has some solvents as carriers. 200ºF may be above the flash point of some of them, which could cause a cloud of fumes in the oven - creating an explosive atmosphere.

Problem #2 - the components were blended under a certain temperature, and in a certain order. Heating the product to 200ºF merely melts it all together, destroying the structure of the wax.

imported_Intel486
01-27-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by mpawelek

Ok, dude... I just looked at your pictures on that webpage...

ermmm... Why is there a naked guy playing guitar infront of them?!

Originally posted by BW

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem #1 - the wax has some solvents as carriers. 200ºF may be above the flash point of some of them, which could cause a cloud of fumes in the oven - creating an explosive atmosphere.

Problem #2 - the components were blended under a certain temperature, and in a certain order. Heating the product to 200ºF merely melts it all together, destroying the structure of the wax.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don`t think he was going to stick them in the oven. I believe he was just going to float the metal can in some hot water. I don`t think that`ll cause it to explode.

Of course, since I like to experiment and a flaming ball of fire caused by a can of wax seems pretty cool... I think I`ll go do some cooking now.

mpawelek
01-27-2003, 04:57 AM
My wife and I were just having some fun the day we took the pictures and she made me use the guitar as "cover". Consider yourself lucky, if I had used a Violin instead you may have become sick to your stomach!!!...Michael P.

mpawelek
01-27-2003, 07:54 AM
Sorry about running out of bandwidth on the first site I listed. If anyone is interested in seeing the 1899 Leggett, 1919 Model T, 1924 Model T or 1931 Model A I have rebuilt here is another web address that should have NO pop up banners.....Michael P.

http://home.swbell.net/mpawelek/index.html