PDA

View Full Version : What is building layers?

chasnj
01-24-2003, 08:46 AM
I`ve been reading the product review and have read several items that mention building layers, I was just wondering what this meant.

Also I am thinking about detailing my wifes villager van that we just got. I`m thinking about using AIO and S100. If anyone could give me tips on how to apply this the correct way for a deep wet look.

Kleanride
01-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Building layers is just like it sounds (actually, to answer both questions at once):

If you have Klasse SG, it might go something like this...

1) Wash

2) Clay

3) AIO

4) Klasse SG (put one coat on, wait for the next day and put another coat on, and so on.....)

5) After you are satisfied with the layers of SG, top with S100.

Maintain with QD spray and wash every other week or so...

Iconoclast
01-24-2003, 09:49 AM
jimwh wrote a detailed article on applying Klasse here is a link

Klasse Instructions (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12590)

Many of us overlay SG with Blitz or S100. Works great.

rstype
01-24-2003, 10:32 AM
There was more than repeated coats of a product. It had to do with polymers curing and crosslinking, bonding to the paint surface, etc. Quite frankly, I have forgotten it all... we haven`t had many technical discussions for a while.

If I`m not mistaken, the Autopia term for "layering" used to do with sealants (Klasse and Zaino), and not carnaubas as it doesn`t bond or build layers.

imported_Intel486
01-25-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by BW

There was more than repeated coats of a product. It had to do with polymers curing and crosslinking, bonding to the paint surface, etc. Quite frankly, I have forgotten it all... we haven`t had many technical discussions for a while.

If I`m not mistaken, the Autopia term for "layering" used to do with sealants (Klasse and Zaino), and not carnaubas as it doesn`t bond or build layers.

Carnaubas can be layered. Two things you have to watch out for with carnaubas and layering though. Putting too many layers of a carnauba on can cause a wax build up and haze the paint since carnauba is optically clear. You also have to make sure it isn`t a cleaner wax as that will strip some of the previous layer off so you really aren`t producing a layer. You also have to wait about 4 hours b/t coats of carnauba.

rstype
01-25-2003, 09:08 PM
The solvents in a non-cleaner wax will take off the old carnauba "layer." What you`re really "layering" are the oils... like the old Blitz Concours Trick that was once popular.

Originally posted by Intel486

You also have to wait about 4 hours b/t coats of carnauba.

Who told you that?

rstype
01-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Some quotes...

Remember the solvents in a carnuba wax are strong enough to to keep it in a fluid state. Carnuba doesn`t really layer, just kind of reappy and replenish itself as far as durability goes. As far as shine, that may be improved because you are adding more oils.

Layering a carnuba adds little to durability. In a sense, because a carnuba formula contains solvents to soften the carnuba it is almost kind of like a reapplication of carnuba but adding more oil. Layering carnuba can have a visual cosmetic effect. If you don`t notice a difference you are basically kind of reapplying and not adding any more protection unless the first coat has deteriorated over a few weeks time.

Carnauba doesn`t cure, it doesn`t bond.

imported_Intel486
01-25-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by BW

Who told you that?

I remember reading it somewhere. I`ll try to find that out.

Originally posted by BW

Carnauba doesn`t cure, it doesn`t bond.

Where did you get those quotes from?

I remember carnauba being able to be layered. Carnauba will set onto the paint after the solvents have evaporated. If you apply another coat, then you are putting another layer on. You can actually keep building layers to the point that the paint gets a murky look. i.e. wax build up

shaf
01-26-2003, 03:52 PM
Maybe it depends on the individual (paste) wax and exactly how "solventy" it is? :nixweiss

chasnj
01-28-2003, 08:44 AM
Thanks for all of your tips. So layering is putting several coats of AIO and then putting S100 on. Letting everything dry and then taking it off. If this is correct let me know Please.

jason

CharlesW
01-28-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by chasnj

Thanks for all of your tips. So layering is putting several coats of AIO and then putting S100 on. Letting everything dry and then taking it off. If this is correct let me know Please.

jason

Jason:

The layering issue I won`t address, but when you refer to AIO and S100, I can tell you my experience.

I applied AIO two times. Not to layer, but to be sure I had covered everything completely. I then did the same thing with S100, for the same reason. The results were great. You will not be disappointed.

My next full detail will have S100 Shine Enhancing Paint Cleaner before the AIO and S100. It has been posted that the SEPC and AIO seem to work together to give even better results. As good as the AIO/S100 looks, I am really looking forward to it.

AIO also works great as a base for Platinum UPP which I have on my van. The finish looks just like the AIO/S100 combination. Here again, I will use the SEPC/AIO prep before the UPP on my next detail.

Charles:wavey

shaf
01-28-2003, 04:45 PM

jason I think generally when people talk about "layering" they are almost always using a product that has little or no cleaning properties. BW and Intel were discussing the problem with the product`s solvents, which is a separate issue. AIO has mild abrasives/cleaners in it, so it`s usually considered unlayerable. On the other hand, products that are for pure protection only, like Klasse SG, Zaino Z2/5, etc, can be built up in several layers of increasing protection and gloss (to a limit of course). Whether carnauba ("traditional") waxes layer or not is an ongoing debate, as you have seen. ;)

Layers are built up over multiple application sessions, usually over a few days, not in one sitting.

chasnj
01-28-2003, 05:49 PM
Hey thanks for clarifying my ? for me, thanks again.

jason

imported_Intel486
01-28-2003, 06:16 PM

jason

Maybe I am just misreading the way you worded this.

You want to apply AIO, let it haze and then buff it off. That is one layer. Wait for it to cure and then apply another coat in the same way. That would be a second layer. Wait for it to dry and you can apply something else like S100.