PDA

View Full Version : Claying over Zaino

jw
01-23-2003, 02:49 PM
I have about 10 coats of zaino on my car. I need to clay now. Can i clay over the zaino or do i need to remove it first? Also does clay go bad. I`ve had this clay for about 4 years?

paco
01-23-2003, 02:59 PM
With respect to the aging of claying. If it`s still pliable. Shouldn`t be an issue. Just kneed (sp??) it a bit and you should be ready to go.

Paco

Hawkeye_TDI
01-23-2003, 05:22 PM
Won`t clay remove Zaino?

paco
01-23-2003, 05:37 PM
It might pull some of the outer most layer that has begun to degraded but with 10 layers, you are more than covered.

However, as the clay will be removing some of the embedded contaminates, following up with another a layer or two of Z will smooth out the protection layer nicely.

drewski59
01-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Claying over Zaino is fine. It won`t remove a noticeable amount at all.:xyxthumbs

Once, I was just curious, so I clayed a fender w/10 coats of Z on it about 6 times, and afterwards, beading wasn`t affected at all...Z is the strongest stuff I`ve ever used! :bow :bounce

Clay doesn`t really `go` bad. Just be sure to dry it off moderately before you seal it back up. Or else it will turn into a crumbly lump of chunky goo.;)

:wavey

Hawkeye_TDI
01-23-2003, 07:32 PM
I have much to learn......

Couple questions:

is zaino a SG (sealent glaze) or Polymer?

What is the difference?

Are BF and Klasse sg`s or poly`s?

so many terms so liitle time.......::confused: :confused: :confused:

Brad B
01-23-2003, 09:57 PM
Zaino is a polymer

Klasse is an acrylic. It`s been around a long, long time.

Blackfire and Platinum claim to be a type of polymer as well though I am not certain of the chemistry.

schoi
01-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Well, one thing: the term "SG" is usually used to refer to Klasse`s Sealant Glaze, not just any "sealant glaze." But anyway, yeah, what he said. Zaino is a polymer; Klasse (what I`ve been using), an acrylic sealant; and Blackfire / Platinum are synthetics as well.

Also, about that stuff: Zaino is supposed to have more of a carnauba-like look to it (as in, the "wet look"). Klasse is sometimes referred to as a "polished rock" (it seems that way to me, too, but looks quite good anyway). BF is supposed to be quite close to the look of a carnauba (no experience there), and I have no idea about Platinum. But whatever, you can always get some of that "wet look" by topping with a carnauba, like P21S. Which I love. :p

Hawkeye_TDI
01-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the info Brad and Polaris

B

jimmybuffit
01-23-2003, 11:49 PM
...so now an acrylic and a polymer are different things/catgories?

Varieties, sure. Maybe we all need to go back to chemistry 101.

Jim

shaf
01-24-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by jimamary

...so now an acrylic and a polymer are different things/catgories?

Varieties, sure. Maybe we all need to go back to chemistry 101.

Jim As far as I know, they`re all basically the same kind of animal lumped under the umbrella of "synthetics" or "sealants"... :nixweiss