PDA

View Full Version : Very Confused

416 Auto
01-23-2003, 11:31 AM
Hey whats up I have some questions?

I need your help:bow

Anyways I have done a ton of searches and it usually takes a while to grab the exact info I need for this subject.

Here we go

Whats the differanece in some of the products, meaning what is glaze in comparioson to fine polish.Right now I use Farecla. G3 medium grade polish then G10 extra fine polish and it works great.

What is paint cleaner vs. polish vs. wax remover

If some one could list what the products do and which order to put them on in I would be forever gratful.......LOL

Do I need a pre wax cleaner before I polish??????????????

MAN OH MAN so much info!!:sosad

imported_Intermezzo
01-23-2003, 01:51 PM
Try not to get too caught up in the many ways different companies like to label their products. (pre-wax cleaner?!?!) :D

If what you`re using now works great, then does it really matter how they should be classified?

The basic order in which you would do a FULL detail is,

1. Clay

2. Compound/Clean

3. Polish/Remove Swirls

4. Protect

After that, you`ll generally only have to do steps 3 & 4 on a regular basis (many times you can even skip step 3).

Here`s a quote from someone who I thought did a good job differentiating between the different terms used in the industry:

COMPOUNDS for correcting paint finish problems. They contain silica in varying sizes and can also include aluminum oxide used as an abrasive.

POLISHES/SWIRL REMOVERS are for removing buffer/compound swirls and/or polishing the finish to a high shine. They contain only sufficient abrasive to remove buffer swirls, not scratches, very very light. Body shop polishes/swirl removers (technically called GLAZES) contain no silicones. The detailers polishes/swirl removers can, and most often do, contain silicone. They are also used to provide a measure of filling of light scratches.

WAXES/SEALANTS are for protection and contain both silicones and waxes.

PAINT CLEANERS - this is another nebulous term that has come about because it sounds nicer than compound. When they started developing lighter and micro-fine compounds they did not want to use that word compound because it connotes harshness and abrasiveness so they came up with paint cleaner. How about "levelers?" A rose by any other name is still a rose. A compound by anyother name is still a compound. A paint cleaner has nothing to do with a polish/swirl remover.

Hence:

A glaze is a body-shop safe swirl-remover/polish.

A cleaner is just a nicer-sounding name for light-compound

Swirl-removers are used to remove the `haze` you get from compounding or very light towel/detailing scratches.

416 Auto
01-23-2003, 02:14 PM
Thanks a ton that really helps sort it out. I reaaly appreciate this.

Thanks Again.

I am really happy with the compound I use and I will try a nice SMR when I run out of Fine cut polish. SMR will fill a little more in the swirls.

Thanks again......................Clint