PDA

View Full Version : Complete Details a Week

grandprixlar
01-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Just curious, on average how many complete details do you guys do week and/or month?

If it makes it easier you can break it down by season (slow and busy).

BumpersPlus2
01-23-2003, 08:16 AM
I do about 10-12 a 5 day week, full details, weather permitting. Its 10 inches of snow now.

safetyman2010
01-23-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Bumpers Plus

I do about 10-12 a 5 day week, full details, weather permitting. Its 10 inches of snow now.

So far this month we have done 73 full details (not including all the other services we offer). We are doing well for a January but the weather has just gotten REALLY bad here in the last week so it is starting to slow down a little.

detailbarn
01-23-2003, 12:25 PM
5-10 in a five day week , that includes one small dealer I take care of , he gives me 1-2 a week.

grandprixlar
01-23-2003, 12:40 PM
ShineShop that is very impressive. How many eployees do you have? Is this all retail or does it include dealership work?

I detail part time and do between 4-6 full details a week.

I`ve been part time for 6 - 7 years and do consider from time to time to make the move to full time. I`m invensting a pretty good sum of money over the next couple of months into my business. This is my first real serious step towards going full time. I go through the figures on paper to see how many details I would need to do every week, month and year to meet my goals. It helps to have some real world numbers.

Scottwax
01-23-2003, 01:16 PM
I average about 8-12 full details a week, closer to 10-15 a week in the fall when everyone is finished with their summer driving and want their cars detailed for the upcoming holidays. I also do straight wash jobs on about 12-15 cars a week and another 5-10 wash/wax or interior only details a week.

safetyman2010
01-23-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by NJDetailer

ShineShop that is very impressive. How many eployees do you have? Is this all retail or does it include dealership work?

I detail part time and do between 4-6 full details a week.

I`ve been part time for 6 - 7 years and do consider from time to time to make the move to full time. I`m invensting a pretty good sum of money over the next couple of months into my business. This is my first real serious step towards going full time. I go through the figures on paper to see how many details I would need to do every week, month and year to meet my goals. It helps to have some real world numbers.

We do about 50/50 retail/dealer but it`s really slow right now compared to the warmer months. We not only detail cars - we also do professional paint touch up/bumper repair and paintless dent repair as well.

If I can give you one piece of advice before getting into this business it is this: don`t expect to make money quickly. It will take years of long hours and hard work to create a successful detail shop before you actually start to see the fruits of your hard work. We have been open almost 10 years and have only been making good money for the last 3 or 4 years now. Go slow, build a good relationship with customers, charge enough to actually make some money (no low-balling) and do the best work possible using the best products and hopefully you`ll do fine.

I wish you the best of luck if you do go full time!:up

ClimberGuy4
01-23-2003, 06:32 PM
What would be considered a full detail. Is that polishing the whole car or just the swirls, claying or no, leather conditioner if necessary? I`ve always wondered because you guys seem to do a full detail in 4-5 hours which is pretty quick. That`s why I wanted to know if you use DACP, SMR, then GEPC or just a one step deal in a few areas.

Scottwax
01-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by subterfuge

What would be considered a full detail. Is that polishing the whole car or just the swirls, claying or no, leather conditioner if necessary? I`ve always wondered because you guys seem to do a full detail in 4-5 hours which is pretty quick. That`s why I wanted to know if you use DACP, SMR, then GEPC or just a one step deal in a few areas.

A full detail is wash/polish/wax/dress tires/clean windows plus a full interior cleaning. Sometimes that includes the engine, sometimes the engine is a separate option.

Usually I do a two step process on the paint, mostly using Swirl Free (Meguiars) and S100 Paste Wax or if the paint is already in great condition, S100 SEPC or Vanilla Moose then S100 Paste. Obviously, some paint also needs claying or deeper cleaning/polishing or swirl removal so claying and DACP would proceed a swirl remover and wax.

As long as the interior is not totally trashed and the paint only needs a two step polish/wax, I can detail the average sedan in about 3.5 hours and SUV in 4-4.5 depending on size. Throw in claying and another polishing step on the paint and you can add an hour to those times. Nasty interiors can also add 1 to 1.5 hours.

ClimberGuy4
01-23-2003, 07:45 PM
Thanks for clearing things up. I guess the reason I`m taking a long time is the condition of the cars. I detail on the side to raise money for my car and I`ve done my family`s daily beater which took the better part of a day. Worse still was a neighbor`s Odyssey which their little kids trashed. I must have found every type of cereal there is in that car, plus gummi bears and tootsie rolls...

Detailing NY
01-23-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by NJDetailer

Just curious, on average how many complete details do you guys do week and/or month?

If it makes it easier you can break it down by season (slow and busy).

Right now in -15 weather, I am doing nothing but watching american idol :)

In the spring I pick up real fast and do at least one full detail a day.

I get a lot of the wash & wax during the week as well.

In the summer, I am booked on saturdays. I can fit in around 4 complete details (when jason is with me and other helpers)

On sundays I dont do detailing as i have contract work where i need to wash 75 vans. Not all get washed on one sunday but i average around 45 vans per sunday. (4 people with me)

remember i also have a full time career while i run the detail business so i am always busy.

Auto Care USA
01-23-2003, 10:33 PM
We average 5-7 vehicles per day. This is all retail. We are open during the winter months, but I spend them in Florida My manager who has been with me for 21 years runs the shop during this time. We have a two week wait to get into our shop early spring and late fall. Alot of hard work has made this a very rewarding business for us. Its all about PASSION and commitment to excellence. This is what bsets us apart from the rest.