PDA

View Full Version : Zaino w/ZFX dry time?

paulisher
01-22-2003, 03:09 AM
I think I made have overestimated the weather here today. I put a coat of Z5 with ZFX on my truck tonight. It was around 50 degrees in my garage at the time. I then waited an hour, checked it and it was still not dry, two hours, still not dry, three hours, still not dry.

I have never had it take over an hour to dry before, but I have never applied it in this cold of temperature. If I wait overnight how hard of a time am I going to have buffing this off. The Zaino site says you can wait overnight, but that wasn`t with ZFX.

Thoughts?

Thanks

ultrajim49
01-22-2003, 04:28 AM
It should be no trouble to let it sit overnight.

The humidity must be tremendious(sp?) to have to wait so long with ZFX.

Christiaan

F 355
01-22-2003, 04:43 AM
Ditto on the humidity...or the only other thing I can think of is:

1. Did u mix the ZFX correctyl? 8 drops per 2 oz?

2. Did u put too much product on?

Last time I did Z it was about 65 and it dried in about 15 min.

Sitting overnight is OK and should come right off. If u get any streaking hit it with the Z QD..

Old Rattle Flat
01-22-2003, 05:40 AM
1. Did u mix the ZFX correctyl? 8 drops per 2 oz?

2. Did u put too much product on?

I`ve applied Z5 with ZFX at 45 degrees, and had it dry in 15-30 minutes. By the time I had applied to the entire car, I could start buffing off immediately.

paulisher
01-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. Last night it was in the lower 40`s / upper 30`s while it was continuing to dry, but the humidity was at 90% according to Yahoo weather.

I was wondering if I put it on to heavy also, but I have never had this problem before. I mixed 1 oz. of Z5 with 4 drops of ZFX. I used almost the entire ounce (a had a little left plus the stuff I can never get out of the ZFX mixing bottles), but this is a Durango so it has a decent amount of surface area.

I am checking it out this morning before work, hopefully it is dry and I can remove it and then hit it with Z6 tonight when I get home.

Thanks all...

bigpoppa
01-22-2003, 10:21 AM
I you are trying to remove Zaino and it "smears" or just pushes around the surface, the typical cause applying it too thick. I`ve applied it in ~40 degrees, with no drying problems. One ounce even for a durango seems to be too much.

Hawkeye_TDI
01-22-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Old Rattle Flat

I`ve applied Z5 with ZFX at 45 degrees, and had it dry in 15-30 minutes. By the time I had applied to the entire car, I could start buffing off immediately.

My experience too. I apply so little that I can`t see it. I have to remember where I have been. This is the key to quick drying time. I can do an entire car with less than 1/2 oz.

Bruce

iceman
01-23-2003, 01:47 AM
I just used it this past weekend in 40 degree weather and it dried in 20 minutes. I think that 1 oz for the Durango is also a bit much. I use less than half an oz for my whole car, including all exterior glass, wheels, and door jams.

paulisher
01-23-2003, 02:46 AM
Ok, well I guess I just used too much then. I probably lost 1/8 ounce or more to the ZFX mixing bottle (as usual). I did do the wheels and all the black plastic trim (trying my hardest to keep that stuff black). Never occured to me to door the door jams though, duh.

Sorry, I`m still a rookie.

Thanks for the advice. I buffed it off this morning and the little residue that was left was really dry by then, but it seems to have come off ok.