PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars. Paint Cleaner.

George M.
01-21-2003, 07:16 PM
Today at Shucks when i was getting an air filter for my truck. I noticed there was a clearance sale on alot of detailing products. I picked up a bottle of Meguairs Step 1 Paint Cleaner. It cost me $3. the regular price is 550. Im going to try it on the next car i detail. Since my truck was just clayed i dont think it will do much good. Any comments on this product? Should I avoid using it?:nixweiss Just thought id try it because it was half off

shaf
01-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Roderigo

It cost me $3. the regular price is 550. Holy sticker shock Batman! :shocked

;)

I haven`t used this product, but it`s a fine polish used for removing light oxidation and and minor marring. If it`s anything like the Mothers counterpart, don`t expect it to do much in the way of swirl removal unless you really work at it (but then why would you use this product?).

Although it`s called a "paint cleaner" that is not its job and it doesn`t clean the way washing your car, using tar removers, or claying the car does. Most products like these don`t see much use at Autopia because people usually end up using other stuff. I suppose you could just use it whenever you`d want to give something a light polishing prior to glazing (as it`s intended use) or if you want to strip off old products gently. Not too sure about what else... :nixweiss

2wheelsx2
01-21-2003, 07:58 PM
You hit the nail right on the head Brian. I used to use the Mother`s paint cleaner for removing shoe scuff`s, stubborn dirt and oxidation. But mostly to remove old wax. That was pre-PC days. Now, I just make a pass with SMR, and swirls, wax, scuffs, and all are gone. That`s right after washing and claying, of course. :)

George M.
01-21-2003, 08:15 PM
thanks. ill test it on my aunts old buick. it is oxydized back. i will do half the hood. step back. and see if i notice difference at all. Of course i would need to do the whole 9 yards on the hood. wash, clay clean wax. then see how much better the half looks than the other. after washing claying waxing without the cleaner. Ill see what i come up with

2wheelsx2
01-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Claying and washing won`t make much difference, but the cleaner wax will remove oxidation also. But what you should find is a much better shine on the side that you cleaned the paint. Post some pics to share with us.:xyxthumbs

George M.
01-21-2003, 09:12 PM
yea. ill post pcis. but it might be a while before i get around to it. sicne im trying to work out my own services right now