PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Replacement

Pages : [1] 2

imported_edschwab1
01-21-2003, 03:00 PM
My jetta`s windshield is being replaced tommorow, is there anything I should have the installer do or not do. Is there questions I should ask the installer or is this a straight forward job?

I am have the glass replaced by very reputiable glass shop, but the work is being paid for by VW under warranty, so I am concerned that the quality of work my lower than normal.

If the weather was warmer it would be an hour job, but with the temps in the low teens and single digits, it has become an allday event.

Eric

big daddy
01-21-2003, 03:04 PM
how`d you manage to get it covered under warranty? what kind of damage occurred?

teacher321
01-21-2003, 04:52 PM
I had mine replace by my Chevy dealer who used a third party glass company and it turned out perfect. I would say you have nothing to worry about.

imported_edschwab1
01-22-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by pringle

how`d you manage to get it covered under warranty? what kind of damage occurred?

I checked may warranty and asked very nicely. I also, did not want to file an insurance claim.

May windshield just cracked. I went into the store, when came out and cleaned off the windows and there was a 6" crack in the lower right. Well the crack is within the windshield itself, which is a manufacture`s defect.

Supersport

Thanks for encouragement

Eric

Iconoclast
01-22-2003, 10:17 AM
Make sure you check the weathertightness of the work a couple of days after they install it. Take a hose and have someone hose down the outside while you check inside for leaks. I had a windshield replaced a few years ago and it was leaking for a while and I didn`t know it untill i started to smell mold in my car. Also they will get little pieces of sealant everywhere in the car and do a bad job vacuuming it up.

Accumulator
01-22-2003, 12:13 PM
edschwab1- I`ve had numerous widshields replaced (maybe a dozen!) and there are indeed some SERIOUS issues to watch out for! Besides what Iconoclast and ejant have mentioned, and inspecting the new windshield for damage and unusual distortion (I`d say don`t trust someone else, inspect it yourself), the BIG thing is the potential for cutting through the paint in the windshield channel, either when removing the old one (most likely) or when installing the new one (less likely).

When they cut out the old one (I have confirmed with my body guy, who does `em right, that Jetta windshields ARE cut/scraped out) it is VERY easy for them to go through the paint to bare metal. This will, of course, cause rust-out after a while and it can be a tricky and expensive area to fix. I learned this the hard way years ago.:sosad

I`d make ASOLUTELY certain that the guy doing the job doesn`t screw it up. Either take it to a shop where you KNOW they will do it right or stand there and watch them like a hawk. Get assurances BEFOREHAND (preferably in writing) that if they scratch the channel (or any other) paint they will get it fixed before proceeding. Inspect the channel before they glue in the new glass. I probably sound paranoid, but I really can`t overstate this; it IS a potential nightmare. You think THIS is a hassle, try: doing it over, plus a complicated rust repair, plus paint matching, etc. if they botch it up! Good luck, and hey, a GOOD shop WILL do it right. Hope I didn`t stress you out...

imported_edschwab1
01-22-2003, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the advice. I picked up my car about an 1.5 hours ago. It is dark out so I will have to wait to inspect it until tomorrow morning. I will take it to the car wash bay in a couple of days to check for leaks.

I was unable to watch the installer, as I would have liked, but the company which installed is reputable.

I have a good feeling that everything went well, because they know that I like things done right the first time or the car will be brought back. Also, I am not affraid to be brutally honest on the CSS when called.

Accumulator

How come you have had so many windshields replaced?

Eric

Accumulator
01-23-2003, 12:27 PM
edschwab1- Glad to hear your replacement went smoothly. Just keep an eye out for any corrosion or leaks and don`t delay if a fix is called for.

Why so many windshield replacements? Lots of miles on lots of cars over a good many years (and some defective windshields that I didn`t catch until they were installed or that broke after a week or two). Plus, I`m just EXTREMELY particular about `em, as I am with most things :D

Chips, scratches, and that fine "sandblasting" from highway driving (my wife`s done a LOT of it), eventually it just gets too bad. And yeah, we stay away from trucks, don`t use the wipers unless the windshield`s very wet, etc., etc. The damage just seems inevitable. My PAMPERED garage-queen `85 XJS, for instance, has the original windshield, and even with only 16K miles, the seemingly zillions of minute chips are very annoying (but I`m keeping that one as original as possible). Any used car I`ve ever bought (no matter how "cherry") was always pitiful by my standards and people sure do abuse the glass. Also, whenever I have project cars repainted, I always have all the glass pulled; might as well replace it. But for perspective, I`ve had pretty many cars (wife and friends=:rolleyes: ). It`s not like I`m always replacing windshields on everything I drive ;) It`s a can of worms I`d RATHER not open.

Iconoclast
01-23-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by edschwab1

I was unable to watch the installer, as I would have liked, but the company which installed is reputable.

I tried to watch too when mine was replaced (the second time) and they wouldn`t let me near my car due to "insurance concerns". I guess like Accumulator said take it to a reputable place. I surely didn`t. Anyway glad to see everything went smoothly. Let us know if you have an further troubles with it.

Accumulator
01-23-2003, 03:05 PM
Iconoclast- Yeah, funny how the "insurance issues" always seem to come up at the shops that do the crappy work ;) . I used to own (and run) a used-car dealership so they can`t tell me much about insurance regs that I don`t already know. I`ve gotten to where if I can`t go in the shop, they don`t get my business. Never a problem at good shops, at least in my experience.

triptonite
01-23-2003, 03:50 PM
Being an auto glass installer part time for the last six years there are many things you need to be aware of when you are getting your windshield replaced.

Make sure the use OEM glass. I can use aftermarket that only costs $60.00 or get in from the dealer for about an outrageous price. There is quality glass out there by LOF or PPG.

Also what type of urethane did they use? I don`t cut corners on this. Essex is probably the best. Was it also nonconductive or high modulous urethane which is needed for some European cars.

Did the adhesive have proper cure time before drive away. This depends on the weahter.

Also you have to prime the glass in oreder to get a bood bond. Some types of urethanes are primerless though. Did your glass company do this?

As for damage to you car.....A lot can happen. Everybody had accidents I have had a few. Make sure they prime the pinchweld if they scratched it. Some cars`s windshields can be cut out fairly easy without damage. But some are a pain and you end up scrtaching the pinchweld a little. Some guys put primer over it some don`t. The dash and interior should be fine. A decent installer won`t damage that.

For leaks they can do an electronic test.

Have any more questions just ask.

imported_edschwab1
01-24-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by triptonite

Being an auto glass installer part time for the last six years there are many things you need to be aware of when you are getting your windshield replaced.

Make sure the use OEM glass. I can use aftermarket that only costs $60.00 or get in from the dealer for about an outrageous price. There is quality glass out there by LOF or PPG.

The dealer order a new windshield from VW, so it is OEM.

Also what type of urethane did they use?

I do not know what type of Urethane was used.

Did the adhesive have proper cure time before drive away. This depends on the weahter.

I picked the car up about three hours after glass was installed. I was told to keep the car in a heated garage overnight and remove the tape in the morning, due to temps in the single digits and low teens. I do not have a garage so the car has been parking outside.

Will this create problems down the road?

Also you have to prime the glass in oreder to get a bood bond. Some types of urethanes are primerless though. Did your glass company do this?

I do not know if this was done or not.

As for damage to you car.....A lot can happen. Everybody had accidents I have had a few. Make sure they prime the pinchweld if they scratched it. Some cars`s windshields can be cut out fairly easy without damage. But some are a pain and you end up scrtaching the pinchweld a little. Some guys put primer over it some don`t. The dash and interior should be fine. A decent installer won`t damage that.

For leaks they can do an electronic test.

What is the electronic test?

Thanks for the advice Triptonite.

Accumulator, I usually like to observe my car when it is being repaired. Even for oil changes. This time and last month for the wiring harness were two of only a few times I did not observe the repair.

Eric

Accumulator
01-24-2003, 11:34 AM
edschwab1-Yeah, it`s good to be there when you can, especially with people you aren`t sure about.

triptonite-Thanks for your input. VERY informative. I`d also like to know more about the electronic test, that`s a new one for me!

Lemonxxs
01-24-2003, 11:44 AM
after you gfet car back clean the dashboard csarefully as there probably glass dust all over it and the hood.....which well can scratch pretty darn good...........

triptonite
01-25-2003, 05:11 PM
Hey that is good that you got OEM glass. It just fits better and the glass is usually flawless.

Im sure they did a good job on your shield. Most conventional urethanes cure by moisture in the air. So the more humid it is out the faster it cures. Urethanes can take 24-48 hours to fully cure. The urethane that we use is an advanced cure that can cure enough in two hours so that the car can be driven. There are also urethanes that cure through a chemical reaction. We use these when winshield is installed outside and the temp is below freezing. The chemical cure uses a two part system and it can cure is 30 minutes!

Since it has been 3 hours you should be good, that is if they didn`t use cheap crap. Sometimes when it is really cold out, in your case, the urethane can freeze before it cures. Then when it gets warmer outside it will thaw out and finally cure. But like I said you should be fine and I wouldn`t worry if it was my vehicle. The three hours should be plenty of time of it to cure so it is safe to drive and ensure you have a goos seal

For this electronic leak detector test, it works really good. One of our installers decided to by one. They are expensive, but what you do is place and reciever inside the car, close all doors and windows, then from the outside you trace the edge of the windshield with this wand that tansmitts a signal or radio waves. If the waves get through then the reviever makes a sound and you can tell exactly where you have a leak. Most of the time we don`t use this unless and customer comes back and says there is an air noise or water leak. I don`t know if most shops have these. My dad owns a glass company in Nebraska and we are mid size. We do a million dollars worth of business a year. I am certified to do this work, but I still go to school so I do this part time and I am not super experienced with every car but I have a good understanding of this field.

I can find out more info on the type of leak detector we have, but most of the time we don`t even use it and I doubt that you will have any problems.

It sounds like they did a good job if they took enough time to put tape on it to either keep the shield in place or to keep the moldings in place.

BTW yes the little particles of glass (glass dust) can put light scratches in the paint. Most techs try not to where things that can scratch your vehicle, but I still see some that have huge belt buckles which gives me shivers:scared