PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Chemicals are Frozen

Pages : [1] 2

stoneweed1
01-20-2003, 08:09 AM
the temp has been hovering around 20 deg Farenheit, and i took a look at my detailing products and most of them are frozen. i`m sure its not good for them, but i`m wondering if anyone has their theories on what freezing does to products.

i highly doubt that freezing makes them ineffective, so should i just leave them, or put them in a box and store them inside?

In the summer where it can be over 100 degrees in the garage, any harm done to the chemicals to leave in the hot temps?

Tim Lingor
01-20-2003, 09:50 AM
I hate to say it but they may be toast! :( I have experienced frozen products a few times in the past. Most of the time, they will separate and will not stay mixed. It will look curddled and will not mix properly. Does it still work the same, I do not know.

Good luck!!!

bigpoppa
01-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Hopefully Zaino isn`t one of them. In my experience it (especially ZFX) does not tolerate freezing. Guess how I know? Let`s say I learned the hard way.:(

imported_Intel486
01-20-2003, 12:53 PM
As long as they thaw out and aren`t seperated, then they are probably fine. Test them out to see how they work before you pitch them.

I keep a lot of products in the bed of my truck. They see a lot of extreme heat... and well... some cold :D

CharlesW
01-20-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

As long as they thaw out and aren`t seperated, then they are probably fine. Test them out to see how they work before you pitch them.

When I had some health problems a few years back, I completely forgot my products in the garage. They were there the entire Iowa winter and the only casualty was a bottle of Meguiar`s #2 that did seperate. It did look curdled and did not mix. I have read that it usually takes more than one freeze cycle to ruin most products. If you bring the stuff in, you might still be able to salvage most of it.

Charles

imported_Goose
01-20-2003, 04:41 PM
I had some Meguiars #40 that freezed because I left it in the my truck it didn`t come out of the sprayer anymore but it still worked if you put it an applicator

TurboCat
01-20-2003, 06:17 PM
In the summer, I will leave car wash shampoo, wheel cleaner, 303 spray, and most aerosol products in the garage.

In the winter, EVERYTHING comes inside except for windshield washer fluid!

I keep certain things inside at all times, to maintain constant temperature, such as carnauba wax, polish, etc. because I have so much $$$$ invested in it all!!!

imported_edschwab1
01-20-2003, 08:49 PM
I was going to ask the same question, thanks for the advice.

Eric

Scottwax
01-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Any time it is going to be below freezing for more than a few hours, I remove all my detailing chemicals, cleaners, polishes and waxes from my trunk and bring them inside. If they freeze and separate, they won`t be any good.

Detailing NY
01-20-2003, 09:35 PM
scott is right, once it becomes frozen it is no good anymore.

deserttoy
01-21-2003, 08:50 PM
Does this affect waxes such as P21s and Souveran?

CharlesW
01-21-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

If they freeze and separate, they won`t be any good.

Isn`t this the key phrase? Many products are an emulsion that will break down when frozen. Just shaking the bottle will not cause the ingredients to combine again. If the product doesn`t separate wouldn`t the emulsion still be intact? Wouldn`t most paste waxes be O.K. then?

Hey, just bring `em inside and you won`t have to worry about it. :)

Charles

Scottwax
01-21-2003, 11:36 PM
Charles, you are right that if the product doesn`t separate it is probably fine. I don`t know about paste waxes, maybe test them on a small area to make sure they are still fine. Regardless, I don`t take chances. I bring all my stuff inside.

YoSteve
01-23-2003, 12:02 AM
guess I forgot to remind everyone this year to bring their products in the the garage :(

imported_Intel486
01-23-2003, 12:16 AM
It is suppose to get down below freezing tonight and I think tomorrow also. I`ve got all my stuff in the back of my truck. I`ll have to see if it freezes b/c I`m not bringing it in!