PDA

View Full Version : 3 Metal Polishes

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Intel486
01-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Never Dull, Super Shines Metal Madness, and Blue Magic`s Metal Polish.

I had a chance to test out three different metal polishes today. I was working on some Aluminun Rims. I believe he said they were Eagles. It is on a guys truck. He has a 12" lift... or maybe it is a 15" lift? Not sure but he has 42" tires. I`ve got a pic of our trucks lined up and his at the end that I`ll post later.

First was Never Dull. It worked great! I also love how you just pull that stuff out of the can and can polish with it. You don`t have to have a rag to pour it onto to polish.

Next was Super Shine`s Metal Madness. Now, this was my least favorite out of the group. It didn`t seem to do as good of a job as the others and you had to work it in pretty well. I also was somewhat difficult to completely buff off.

The last I tried was Blue Magic`s Metal Polish. It worked great! One of the guys there said it only worked on cold rims. Good thing the guy`s rims were cold. It went on easily and seemed to work pretty quickly.

Now, if I had to rate them it would be Never Dull, Blue Magic, and then Metal Madness.

I have a few pictures I`ll load off my camera later and post.

I plan on getting Wenol and Mother`s Billet to test out. Got a friend with some wenol so hopefully he`ll make it out next time so I can try it. I`ll wait till I see Mother`s Billet locally and grab a can. Right now I`ll just continue to carry Never Dull.

HellrotCi
01-19-2003, 09:20 PM
I tried Never Dull but I like 3M Mag and Aluminum Polish better. Never Dull didn`t get my aluminum wheels as bright as 3M did. 3M was more work to clean up the residue but the results were worth the effort. I bought some Wenol last Fall but I won`t get around to using it until Spring when I get my aluminum wheels ready to put back on my car.

imported_Intel486
01-19-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by HellrotCi

I tried Never Dull but I like 3M Mag and Aluminum Polish better. Never Dull didn`t get my aluminum wheels as bright as 3M did. 3M was more work to clean up the residue but the results were worth the effort. I bought some Wenol last Fall but I won`t get around to using it until Spring when I get my aluminum wheels ready to put back on my car.

I might try to find some of the 3m polish then to test out.

I believe West Marine here carries a good amount of 3m stuff. I`ll have to stop in to see if they have it.

JasonC8301
01-20-2003, 02:59 PM
I prefer the Blue Magic cream polish for the initial polish then a follow up with Never Dull wadding polish. The Blue Magic seems just a bit stronger to me in terms of cleaning ability and I paid about $12 for a 19 ounce tub, thats a lot of metal polish....

I`ll be waiting for the review on Wenol and Mother`s Billet polish.

imported_Intel486
01-20-2003, 04:07 PM
Here are pics.

This is it before.

http://f150online.com/galleries/images/725-915-47627.jpg

This is the wheel after polishing

http://f150online.com/galleries/images/725-915-47626.jpg

The big white truck on the end is the one I did the wheels on.

http://f150online.com/galleries/images/725-915-47631.jpg

imported_Aurora40
01-22-2003, 08:54 AM
How easy was NevR-Dull to buff off? I found Metal Madness pretty hard to buff too, although I want to try it on some other stuff to make sure. There are too many polishes out there that aren`t hard to buff to put up with the ones that are, IMO.

I didn`t think NevR-Dull was safe for use on aluminum. I always figured it was a brass polish like Brasso. Usually brass polishes are too strong for aluminum (and silver), but can be used on practically any other metal (aluminum polishes can be used on brass, they just don`t tend to be as strong).

Edit: NevR-Dull is safe on aluminum and silver (http://www.nevrdull.com/How.htm). And the MSDS (http://www.nevrdull.com/MSDS.htm) is much milder than Brasso`s (http://www.herc.org/library/msds/brasso.htm). I guess I`ll have to give NevR-Dull a whirl one of these days (though wadding gets your hands pretty yucky).

TortoiseAWD
01-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Aurora40

How easy was NevR-Dull to buff off? I found Metal Madness pretty hard to buff too, although I want to try it on some other stuff to make sure. There are too many polishes out there that aren`t hard to buff to put up with the ones that are, IMO. In my experience, the residue left over from NevR-Dull is easy to wipe off, no real buffing required.

Tort

imported_Goose
01-22-2003, 10:14 PM
Never-Dull is good stuff I use it to that the soot off my chrome exhaust tips the only thing I dislike about Never-Dull is it makes your hands black and the black is hard to get off your hands

stuart hicks
01-24-2003, 02:28 PM
Have you tried using a wool buffing ball on a drill with the Metal Madness?

I find it works better than Blue Magic or Mothers which seems to cloud the metal when machined buffed.

The Metal Madness gives a shinier chrome like finish when used by machine more than anything else I`ve tried.

The creams like wenol and mothers can`t take the heat of a buffer and break down too easily, leaving a half done shine.

By the way thanks for the tip on p-11 it works well.

imported_Tony
01-24-2003, 03:29 PM
Mr. Hicks:

I have seen the wool pads that strap over a backing plate for a drill but not a wool ball. Can you describe this ball? It sounds interesting.

thanks

Sorry for the intrusion on the thread.

Fallz
01-24-2003, 05:09 PM
I too am intersted in the polishing ball and where to find it ?

I ordered some "Metal Madness" today to give it a try. I also ordered a product called "Metal wax" today so I`ll give you all an update on that. I`m going to try the "Metal Wax" on my oxidized/stained alum. trailer before I try it on my Weld wheel`s.

stuart hicks
01-24-2003, 06:37 PM
Now that I`m looking at one of my buffs I realize it may not be wool but a heavy cotton fabric.

You can order them at www.swmetal.com

Once on the site go to buffs... click on specialty buffs and your there.

I use a mushroom buff to work in the polish, then after wiping off all the black buildup I take a separate dry finer grade goblet buff and burnish in the oils that have soaked into the metal.

This produces a nearly chrome-like finish.

Metal polishing is different than waxing. With waxing the higest shine is achieved when the wax is wiped off. With metal polishing much of the shine comes after the polish has been wiped off. Good metal polishes have oils and polishes that actually absorb into the metal. Once you wipe off the black grunge you take a separate towel or buff and burnish in these oils to get the highest gloss possible.

Fallz
01-25-2003, 09:55 AM
Stuart,

GOOD FIND !!

Hey thank`s for the link on swmetal. That`s stuff I`ve been looking for . I`m going to order a few thing`s to try.

Mike

TortoiseAWD
01-25-2003, 02:00 PM
Here`s another site that carries metal buffing and polishing supplies: Caswell Plating (http://www.caswellplating.com/)

Tort

atldave
02-07-2003, 04:50 AM
I just bought some Blue Magic the other day. I think it was $3 at Pep Boys. Worked great on my exhaust tip, inside and out. I just did the shoe shine method around the outside and a a little blob around the inside and buffed it off.

It was easy, it looks great, and that was the first time I polished my exhaust tip.