PDA

View Full Version : bugs in paint

white_335i
01-18-2003, 11:53 PM
I am new to this and worse I live in Florida (no pun intended).

We have this little bug that they call the LOVE BUG (its anything but love to a paint job. The problem is that a car that I bought to resell has alot of old pitted areas on the front of the hood where the bugs were not taken care of and this has cause some damage. I don`t want to repaint as that is my profit margin. Thank You in advance for any help Ya`ll can be. I did use the search engine but found nothing about really old marks, I have used swr to no avail. HELP:nixweiss :sosad

white_335i
01-19-2003, 01:13 AM
:sosad :D Here`s a pic of the hood:confused:

Knight
01-19-2003, 02:46 AM
If the bugs are still in the spots on the car a clay bar will do the paint some good. I bet, some of thos bumps just need a good clay bar to pick them up. If they are rock chips then you can not really do anything for them.

:up

shaf
01-19-2003, 05:20 AM
Maybe try searching for "pits" "pitted" or "pitting" with "paint". Here`s one thread that came up with a title search:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3880&highlight=pits

I think it depends on how deep the pitting is. An aggressive polishing session could level them down, but you can only go so far with that. If it`s through the clear coat I`m not sure what you could do. Maybe attempt to fill them in with touchup paint and level them down? :nixweiss

My parent`s van had this done to it. I just left it as it is because it was only on the bumper, and my attempts to hide them with a moderate polish only left white residue in them, making them more noticable. Besides, they were significantly deep enough that I was sure it was through the clear in some areas already, and I didn`t want to accidentally force the issue of a repaint...

I should take closeup pics of it as a warning to people to get bugs and bugjuice off their car ASAP!

SulVento
01-19-2003, 11:05 AM
The one thing I really hate bout living in Florida all these years.

:eek:

Love bug "parts" will etch all the way through a clear coat if not cleaned off.

I would suspect that is going to be what you have if the pits are "old".

You might want to have a pro detailer look at it to see if a more abrasive method (rotary) and product may help.

G`luck!