PDA

View Full Version : Judged car shows - what do they look for?

Zealot
01-18-2003, 10:24 AM
What are some things I`ll need to address before entering a judged car show? The reason I ask is because the last 2 judged car shows I`ve been in, I got a "Top 10" at one and nothing at the other. To give you an idea of what cars won a "Best In Class" - one was a nice black Cobra coupe with a polished Vortech and a big sign next to the car with the list of mods - many of which (aside from the blower) were cosmetic, including clear tail lights and one hugh jass wing :rolleyes: Another show gave a trophy to a car that was next to mine - it had really loud graphics and neon lights all over it. Is this the extent I need to go in order to get the judges` attention? My car is clean, in the styling sense and I absolutely will not put clear tail lights, big azz wings, loud stickers or neon/flashing strobes all over it. I do have quite a few modifications though - would it help if I made a plaque to put under the hood, to point out the things I`ve done to the car? Any one have any tips?

Lowejackson
01-18-2003, 10:57 AM
Here is a nice link Car shows (http://www.cccvette.com/carshow-horror.htm)

Steven

Zealot
01-18-2003, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it:)

Dave

Lowejackson
01-18-2003, 12:32 PM
This also looks good http://www.jcna.com/library/concours/index.php

Steven

Richt
01-18-2003, 01:01 PM
My cars totally standard, went to one show and the judges didnt even bother looking at the car cos it was standard. Luckily my car club has standard and modifed classes.

Redcar GUY
01-18-2003, 01:22 PM
I do as many shows a year that I can, The best advice I can give is to clean everything 2-3 times... then do it again.... also look at every little place they would never look and clean them up also.

Richt
01-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Good advice! I usually spend a week before a car show cleaning the car, argh so thats where all my holidayd go!

medic159
01-19-2003, 04:13 PM
First thing is to check classes. If your car is stock and the show is sponsored by the local street rod club then stay home. Be sure there are classes for your year and separate classes for stock and modified. ALso be sure foreign and domestic are separated.

Then CLEAN, CLEAN, and CLEAN some more! Be sure you can eat off that engine and undercarriage. Clean in places you didn`t know even existed.

Also, check for safety equipment requirements, many judges deduct points for no first aid kit or fire extinguisher.

Auto Care USA
01-19-2003, 09:13 PM
I have been a concours judge for over 10 years. What I look for is something that is an unrestored beauty. That perfect car is the one that looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. So if it`s not perfect, you are in trouble. Perfect to you and perfect to a judge are two different things.

Zealot
02-16-2003, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys - I took home a Gold. They had Best of Show, Gold, Silver and Bronze. I was happy :)

http://www.boomspeed.com/dpjedi/DSCF0109.JPG

BradE
02-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Congrats DP!!!!! See, all that work does pay off.

medic159
02-16-2003, 01:55 PM
WOW!!! Congratulations :bounce

Zealot
02-16-2003, 01:58 PM
Thanks again guys. I also took home my score sheet to see what areas I need to improve on for the next judged show. Best of Show was out of the question, compared to the car that won. The guy was obviously corporate sponsored by Bicardi, of all companies. But as I said, I was more than happy to hear my name announced for a Gold in the Modified class.

Dave

Pats300zx
02-16-2003, 07:31 PM
DP- Congrats on the win!!! I have found that the score sheets are a wealth of information and can be a great benefit. I take mine from each show that I do and go over the car to see what I can improve on. Quality judges will be helpful and will show you what you do to make the car better.

If you just start concentrating on small sections of the car and do alittle at a time before you know it your car is a beauty.

Its amazing the things that judges look for at concourse shows. Nothing is overlooked....

Congrats again...:bounce