PDA

View Full Version : chips everywhere

ClimberGuy4
01-18-2003, 01:36 AM
I`ve decided to fix all the little chips on the front of the car tomorrow but there are a few things that are unclear in the ebook. Firstly, today was the coldest day of the year in Houston, and the guide says not to attempt fixing chips in below 60F weather. Is this set in stone or can it be done a bit below (in the garage with a small heater)? Next, the book says that a clear coat is not necessary but that perfectionists can "substitute clearcoat for the last 2-3 coats". Does this mean that I`m meant to use 2-3 coats of touch up color paint? Can I put clearcoat on top of this?

Brad B
01-18-2003, 05:41 PM
It`s best to do this in warm weather because paint flows better.

Not sure I understand your other question. You want to layer several very thin coats of paint until you fill the chip to the top level of the surrounding surface. If you have clearcoat available, the last couple coats can be clearcoat. If you do not have clearcoat touchup available, then continue to use colorcoat.

Idrops
01-18-2003, 05:49 PM
Suppose you are going to use both color and clearcoat. How will this affect using the Langka product? How many coats of each would suffice and how can you be sure the Langka won`t remove clear and leave unprotected color???

safetyman2010
01-18-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by subterfuge

I`ve decided to fix all the little chips on the front of the car tomorrow but there are a few things that are unclear in the ebook. Firstly, today was the coldest day of the year in Houston, and the guide says not to attempt fixing chips in below 60F weather. Is this set in stone or can it be done a bit below (in the garage with a small heater)? Next, the book says that a clear coat is not necessary but that perfectionists can "substitute clearcoat for the last 2-3 coats". Does this mean that I`m meant to use 2-3 coats of touch up color paint? Can I put clearcoat on top of this?

If you would like some advice on touching up the paint I can give you some very helpful pointers as I do professional stone chip repair. Private message me if you want some pointers with the cars make and model, year and colour.

Brad B
01-18-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Idrops

Suppose you are going to use both color and clearcoat. How will this affect using the Langka product? How many coats of each would suffice and how can you be sure the Langka won`t remove clear and leave unprotected color???

Langka is really best used with colors and not clears but it will work pretty much just the same. The issue is pretty much a guessing game as to how much thickness the Langka is going to take off.

Personally, I am not a big fan of Langka, I can achieve better, more controlled removal of "paint blobs" by 1. not getting a blob in the first place. 2. if the touch up is raised, using proper leveling techniques with abrasives and polish which are much more controllable.