PDA

View Full Version : Hit the testing jackpot

wizardofahs
01-16-2003, 02:59 AM
Went down to the body shop where my car is being worked on, and was talking to the guy. They just through out all their bad body panels, He said if i wanted i could grab them. I`m going down there with my roomate`s truck tomorrow. I know most will probably be in bad shape, but just a little bit of decent painted area will be all i need. I plan on using them for all sorts of tests. IE product tests, teqnique tests and so on. Since it`s not panels off my actuall car, i`ll have no problem doing stuff to them to test them, (ie seeing how bad a dirty wool wash mit on a PC at high speed is on paint, then how well SMR and FI-II remove them). I`ll be sure and get lots of pictures of what ever i decide to do with them. Might even finally get that rotery now that i have will have practice panels. I know there`s been a few people on the board who have done some really great tests using unused body panels. It seems like most body shops just throw the old ones away, we could really get some great info if more people volunteered their time. Nothing beats a side by side comparison.

Knight
01-16-2003, 03:29 AM
Do lots of tests, Lot`s. Wax, all kinds of fun stuff.

Post pictures and procedures. It will be fun to see how everything turns out.

:up

ultrajim49
01-16-2003, 07:57 AM
You`ll enjoy it.

I know I did on a hood.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16906

and

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17769

Have fun:xyxthumbs

shaf
01-16-2003, 02:51 PM
It could be interesting. Especially if there`s some smaller pieces that you could prep well and apply 2 different products to side by side, you can tilt it and rotate it around in the sunlight to see it at all angles. :cool:

marktheshark
01-17-2003, 11:22 AM
Sounds like fun!!!

BoxsterCharlie
01-17-2003, 01:06 PM
Can`t wait to finally get a house with a decent garage so I can store "junk" like this!

wizardofahs
01-17-2003, 01:16 PM
It was NYD that gave me the idea. He told me most body shops throw them out, so getting some panels would be a good idea to practice with a rotery. I only had to ask one place to find one who would give me their trash, now i can use it for learning and expiramenting

jkochis
01-17-2003, 10:47 PM
I have done this, and it`s a great way to practice chip repairs, wet sanding, etc.

One thing I would recommend though...if you do find a really good piece that you intend to use for any type of painting practice, try to find out from them if they know the car that it came from. Very hard to match paint without the paint code.

tkr128
01-18-2003, 01:55 AM
You should be able to find a lot of good panels. When I had my car fixed a few years back, they replaced my fender that had nothing wrong with it except a minor dent, and I mean seriously minor, smaller than a door ding. If a lot of shops do this, then you`ll have great success in finding an exceptional panel for testing. :up