PDA

View Full Version : Will salt strip or deteriorate Zaino?

Hawkeye_TDI
01-15-2003, 08:49 PM
I was wondering how salt left on a Zaino or other poly would affect that layer of whatever?

Does anyone have any thoughts on thjis?

Will driving it through touchless car washes strip Zaino?

It has been below 30 for a while here and I have NOT roinsed my car in a week or more. Did all my layering die in vain?

I feel so small.............

Bruce

:bow :bow

billrouleau
01-15-2003, 09:34 PM
I would suppose whenever the temp. increases, the corrosiveness (sp?) of salt will affect the Zaino layers. I`m sure it will last longer than a wax, but I don` t have any hard data to back that up. Just throwing an idea out there. :nixweiss

tj98cobra
01-16-2003, 07:32 AM
Bruce,

I`m a Zaino user who deals with the same problems. I`ve noticed Zaino holds up well against the salt. I sometimes go to a touchless place where I`m sure the strong soaps take away some of the Z. But if I go to a do it yourself place I`ll bring my own bucket with warm water/soap (Z7) . Z is some pretty tuff stuff.

TJ

Preachers Sheets
01-16-2003, 06:03 PM
Driving through the spray bays will strip your protectant.

I detail my car once really well before the cold season and when it gets dirty I begin to go to the spray bay to use the "rinse" cycle only. This removes surface dust and very minor dirt, you need to realize that the rinse cycle will only help so much. About half way through the winter I would just spray your car with the soap and wax from the spray bay. Half way through the winter, your Zaino layers will start to fade away anyway and I don`t see it harmful if you need to use the spray bay soap and wax for another 2 or 3 months before you can start to use a more mild soap and a wax which last longer than a few days.

Nothing wrong with the spray bay soap and wax expect the fact that the soap is too strong and the wax doesn`t last long enough. It`s not like your going to remove clearcoat.

It`s better to have a shine that isn`t as glossy and doesn`t last as long then to leave your car dirty all winter. It`s a little shine or a little damage (by leaving your car dirty).

DETAILKING
01-16-2003, 08:42 PM
Yes, and no....

Chemically, it has little effect. Zaino is a polymer (plastic), and inert to the effects of salt corrosion. It does have a mechanical effect of depleting durabiliy as does any other time u drive your car though such conditions.......dirt, sand,etc,etc,

Hawkeye_TDI
01-16-2003, 09:02 PM
Thank you everyone for responding.

So, let me see if I understand. Leaving dried salt on my car when the temps are below freezing has little affect. The longevity of Zaino might be lessend, but not significantly, true?

Once it gets wet and the teperatures rise it becomes much more corrosive. Either way rinsing it off with the soap used at self washes or touchless washes is good and should not hurt the Zaino. Do I have it right?

Thank you all again.

Bruce

:bow :bow :up