PDA

View Full Version : Windex for cleaning

Tom Pultz
01-14-2003, 08:56 AM
Would someone tell me the effects, if any, windex window cleaner would have on the clear coat on my 2002 35th LE? I show the car & sometimes use a diaper lightly misted w/ windex to remove dust from clear coat surfaces. I`ve heard it will dull the finish. I use Meguire`s spray detailing wax regularly. Does that help the situation?

The car is always stored, covered, in a garage unless the sun is shinning, it`s dry, and warm. I have only sprayed a water hose on it once, when I first got it. What is the best cleaning & maintainence proceedure for this paint and the silver LE stripes?

Thanks in advance

Tom Pultz
01-14-2003, 09:35 AM
Thanks Ed,

I did go around the forum & checked it out. Sice I do use QD alot, & the car really never needs washing, is there a concern over QD build up? I`d hate to wash it just to remove build-up. The car stays so clean you can eat off the undercarraige.

paco
01-14-2003, 09:52 AM
No worries. A quick detailer won`t build up.

The most it will last is 2 days at best. Even daily applications shouldn`t be an issue.

Paco

Tom Pultz
01-14-2003, 09:57 AM
Well, the car does get driven when I`m in the U.S. (I work in Spain) so sometimes I get a light road film on lower panels & wheels. I have been just taking a bottle sprayer with a soap solution & cleaning those areas. The special LE wheels are the hardest to clean. I`ve been raising the car, climbing underneath, & rotating the wheels while cleaning off the brake dust on the inside with windex. Pain in the butt, but they always look new.

Thanks, Tom:up

paco
01-14-2003, 10:31 AM
Also, windex contains ammonia which harms "tint" so I definitely wouldn`t go about using on the exterior of my car :eek:

I personally would:

1. Only use high quality MF (JT, Paksak, DT`s etc.)

2. Only use a high quality QD (Meg. 34, Quickshine, EF, etc.)

3. If you need to clean the vehicle, get a bucket, put some good car soap and spot clean with a MF towel.

Using "trick" products that you see in showrooms or at auto events (i.e. pledge, windex etc) are just that "tricks".

Paco

Tom Pultz
01-14-2003, 10:51 AM
Thanks Paco,

By the way, this car was brought to me in Va. from New Jersey. Obviously the dealership did a terrible job removing the road film when they prepared it for the lot. Under flourescent lights it appears to have slight swirls & scratches all over the upper portion of the car. I returned it to the dealer for detailing and it still doesn`t please me. In the sunlight it looks terrific. But I feel I could never show the car indoors. Any suggestions? Obviously the swirls are in the clearcoat. I saw the car at night when I initiated the deal. I didn`t notice anything until I cleaned it and got it in the garage. I would have rejected the purchase, but it took me 2 months to find this car, might be 1 of a kind, & I had no choice but take it or lose it.

jimmybuffit
01-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Welcome, Tom!

Ironically, the dealership is often the worst place to have the finish addressed. They simply do not allocate the time, talent and other resources to that area of the service operation.

I have two suggestions:

1). Have the car professionally detailed. This should be quick and fairly inexpensive, since the car is so clean:

a. clayed

b. light polishing/buffing to remove swirls

c. deep cleaning, such as Klasse All In One

d. polymer sealant such as Klasse Sealant Glaze. (at least two layers)

e. carnuaba wax topping such as Souveran (at least two layers).

Some quick reading of our forums here will point out several very fine alternatives to the specific brands mentioned.

Maintenance would involve a simple application of the carnuaba perhaps every two months. On a nice, clean car this is about a 45 minute job, at most.

Regarding removal of minimal road dust after the occasional sunny day drive, I`ve had excellent success with distilled water, sprayed from a 2 gallon garden sprayer, and a quick and easy wipe down with 1 or two MF towels. ( since the Deionized/distilled water is often called "hungry water", it acts like a magnet to pull the dirt from the (waxed, hydrophobic) surface.

Put away the diaper and Windex!

Buy some microfiber towels as suggested, and use a carnuaba-based "Quick Detailer" such as Meguiar`s #34 Final Inspection. NOTE: Not all QDs are carnuaba based.

Good Luck with your "Garage Queen"!

Jim

Tom Pultz
01-14-2003, 11:56 AM
Wow..thanks Jim,

Great information. What about these large vinyl graphic stripes that cover most of the hood & trunk area? Any other process to consider? Without taking the wheels off, what is best way to clean dust off inside of these deep rims? By the way, have you seen a 35th Anniversary Z4C LE Camaro? It has these black painted wheels w/ 10 polished spokes. Tough to clean & polish.

Tom

shaf
01-14-2003, 06:02 PM
As said, MF cloths and QD are better. Some important differences:

-Windex contains ammonia and alcohol (I beleive), which will strip wax and remove protection.

-QD has lubricating properties that make dust removal safer, while Windex does not.

-QD lays down a small amount of protection when you use it. Meguiar`s #34 by the way, does not contain carnauba.

Be sure the "soap" you use in the spray bottle is a car shampoo/soap, and not a hand soap or dish detergent.

Really the best thing to do for dirty wheels is to wash them. Some people QD them on the outside face, but I don`t know if you want to do only that for a long time or do it with heavy brake dust. Washing options include waxing them (sealants are better for this) and washing them with carwash, or not waxing them and just using a wheel cleaner every wash. Get a soft brush or paintbrush to help reach inside the rims.

paco
01-14-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Tom Pultz

Wow..thanks Jim,

Great information. What about these large vinyl graphic stripes that cover most of the hood & trunk area? Any other process to consider? Without taking the wheels off, what is best way to clean dust off inside of these deep rims? By the way, have you seen a 35th Anniversary Z4C LE Camaro? It has these black painted wheels w/ 10 polished spokes. Tough to clean & polish.

Tom

Cleaning rims.

I personally haven`t but DavidB suggest using a brush. So look into getting one of those OXO brushes he recommends.

Secondly, a tip:

When parking, turn your wheel all the way to the right or left. The angled well allows you clean the back side of the rim easier... of course it`s best to remove the wheel completely but in a pinch or you just want to clean them quickly. I found that works nicely. It also helps in cleaning the wheel well (sp?) or struts.

When you remove and clean them, definitely apply multiple coats of a Sealant. Waxes will not hold up more than a day with the heat that is produced. Quick detailing a wheel is fine if you want to but I typically never do. The tires/wheels just get dirty far to quickly to be that obsessive. I`d rather apply another layer of sealant to the car :) Oh yeah, did I mention I live in a newly constructed home (Phase I of II).... Talk about a mud pit for a neighborhood :(.

Paco

jimmybuffit
01-14-2003, 10:29 PM
4DSC

Thanks for the heads up on #34! Where did I get that info? I`ve got 144 ounces, wanna buy some!? No worries, I`ll use it on sealants only...

Jim

shaf
01-15-2003, 12:38 AM
Jim, with non-carnauba QDs you can use them on anything - waxes, sealants, whatever. It`s only the carnauba containing QDs that are limited in use to "natural" waxes. :)

Knight
01-15-2003, 01:51 AM
DO NOT use windex it contains ammonia which scratches not ONLY tint but CLEAR plastic. For instance the plastic where your gauges are covered. Use a automtive class cleaner that is FREE of ammonia. With a good Auto glass cleaner and a MF towel you will make that window shine. Also claying the window before the above steps is a great way to make it smooth and shine. I would use a car wash lube though instead of the QD when claying the window. Then you can kill it with the MF and auto glass cleaner as above.

:up