PDA

View Full Version : Plastic head & tail lights

416 Auto
01-14-2003, 12:00 AM
Hey whats up?????

In regards to your head and tail lights. Can you wax them like your paint and also if they are fogged up or hazy is there anything you can do with polish/wax or anything???

Thanks a million ..............Clint

Scottwax
01-14-2003, 12:42 AM
You can use regular polish and wax on your head and tail lights. Keeping them polished and waxed will help keep them from yellowing with age and reducing visibility.

CamaroLady
01-14-2003, 08:25 AM
My wife`s car shows some swirls marks from a dealer`s "complimentary wash" job. I`m getting the paint fixed, but the swirls also show (llightly) in the plastic tail lights. Any way to get those out?

37buckeye
01-14-2003, 08:26 AM
You can polish and wax plastics. There is a product called Plexus which many seem to recommend.

I use a combination of AIO and 303 on my plastic headlights and taillights. The combination works very well.

-ema

Preachers Sheets
01-14-2003, 08:31 AM
I use a plastic polish made by Meguairs or Mother`s, can`t remember exactly but they both probaly make a plastic polish.

It`s really good stuff to use, it will take your dull red lights and make them ruby red again by removing crud that you cant even remove by scraping the lights with your fingernail. Give it a shot, it`s the finishing touch to a freshly detailed car.

imported_memnuts
01-14-2003, 08:37 AM
Any plastic polish should work. Plexus is very good one step polish and protectant. It can be found at most motorcycle shops. Very good product with multiple uses ( lights, tinted windows (great), headlight covers, etc.)

If the lens are very dull Meg #9 is also good as a pre-treatment (polish) followed by Plexus.:wavey

CamaroLady
01-14-2003, 11:12 AM
I didn`t realize there was a "plastic polish" for this purpose. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Taxlady
01-14-2003, 12:27 PM
The turn signal`s on my Volvo have plastic lenses and they are pretty hazed up. I used Meguiar`s #17 Clear Plastic Cleaner and followed with #10 clear Plastic Polish on one front lens. After several applications, I see vast improvement. I used Plexus Plastic Cleaner Protectant and Polish on the other front lens. It wasn`t nearly as good at taking out hazing as the Meguiar`s stuff, but I can`t get it off now. I think it is probably a pretty impressive protectant. Ã couldn`t get it off with the Meguiar`s polish, but I will try alcohol.

My suggestion is to polish with the Meguiar`s #17 Clear Plastic Cleaner and finish with the Plexus.

Lowejackson
01-14-2003, 12:32 PM
The #17 and #10 are good products that work very well. Easy to use and easy to buy.

Steven

416 Auto
01-14-2003, 12:50 PM
Thanks a million I really appreciate everybodys help.

.......................Clint

01 Dakota R/T

chawki12
01-14-2003, 03:23 PM
I have read that it is not a good idea to use car wax on clear plastic, such as headlight lenses or any other plastic. Most car wax contains petroleum products and that can damage plastic. I recommend plexus or 303. Great stuff

kbshadow
01-14-2003, 11:35 PM
I was watching one of those car programs on Sunday a while back and they were showing you how to detail the plastic head and tail lights, they were using Mothers plastic polish.

I got some and am very happy with the results.

FWIW they were detailing Forrests, who is always helping us out on this forum, PT Crusier.

Scottwax
01-14-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by chawki12

I have read that it is not a good idea to use car wax on clear plastic, such as headlight lenses or any other plastic. Most car wax contains petroleum products and that can damage plastic. I recommend plexus or 303. Great stuff

I`ve been using regular car wax and polishes on my head and tail lights on my Accord for the last 7 1/2 years and I guarantee you mine look elventy billion times better than any other Accord the same year as mine.