PDA

View Full Version : will this work???

breakneckvtec
01-13-2003, 11:46 PM
Ok, think I may have the plan set:

wash with dawn

clay

wash

3M SMR, can I use this first? Do I need a paint cleaner first?

P21S paint cleansing lotion, can I put klasse over this or do I need to wash it off first?

AIO

SG, possibly layer with platinum UPP

George M.
01-13-2003, 11:47 PM
looks good but i would use the SMR after the paint cleaner. since the Cleaner will only remove the SMR. Im pretty sure this is correct, but i will let the others back that up for me

Jngrbrdman
01-13-2003, 11:55 PM
SMR doesn`t really leave anything to be removed. Its basicly just a more agressive form of GEPC. You should skip the P21S step if you are going to use SMR anyway. Not to mention that Klasse AIO is probably a better paint cleaner than GEPC. The rest sounds good.

George M.
01-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Really? I always thought SMR was more of a filler, i also thought it dulled the scratch enough with my chips on the lower panels so that light wouldnt catch and reflect :confused:

Jngrbrdman
01-14-2003, 12:01 AM
it stands for "swirl mark remover". That doesn`t sound like a filler to me. ;) It is going to rub down your clear coat and make your swirls go away. Filling them isn`t going to fix the problem. That is why you use a swirl remover. It may have fillers in it. I`m not sure about that. All I know is that it will actually remove your swirls and not just fill them.

George M.
01-14-2003, 12:14 AM
oh, ok. Thanks. I was wondering. Because i know the #9 Megs. is abrasive, but i have heard of some Non Abrasive Swirl Mark "removers" so thats why i was confused. You learn something new every day. :D :wavey

breakneckvtec
01-14-2003, 12:16 AM
I still cant get over it, whenever I hear the word "remove clear coat" it shakes me up. I know it takes a minute layer off, just enough to eliminate the swirls but still. Please tell me that this isnt something thats going to go through my clear in a few years, if so its only happening once then I will just keep the swirls out.

Also, I am trying to get EVERYTHING I am going to need, anyone wanna make me a shopping list? This is what I have so far:

I have two buckets

car soap, dawn as well

I plan to add the big blue towel from properautocare.com for drying the car

buy some quality MF towels for buffing after product app, need suggestion on good ones, and where to get them, maybe how many I should look to get as well

CMA pad kit

The chennelle wash mitt

Products needed for steps listed above

I have QD

And some foam hand applicators for the places the pc cant get, I have 2 meguiars yellow foam hand app pads, maybe get a few more of these? Are these good?

Anything else I will need? I dont want to get stuck where I need something while detailing and I dont have it.

Scottwax
01-14-2003, 01:02 AM
Don`t waste your time Dawn washing. Unless you are prepping a car to paint or switching to Zainos, using Dawn is a big waste of time.

Honestly, I don`t know why Dawn washing has become such a big trend on this board.

jerry@robs
01-14-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Honestly, I don`t know why Dawn washing has become such a big trend on this board.

Coz Sal sez so... gimme a hell yeah... hehe...

j/k

actually, I find wax stripping to be the job of an all purpose cleaner + shampoo much, much more effective than any dishwashing soap... and besides, if you`re going to use a clay, cleaner, then polish... any old wax should be gone anyway...

back to the topic...

I think your steps are fine, but skip the PPCL... forget Dawn as well, your polishing and AIO will get rid of any old wax you may have left... save yourself some time.

imported_Intel486
01-14-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Don`t waste your time Dawn washing. Unless you are prepping a car to paint or switching to Zainos, using Dawn is a big waste of time.

I`m also starting to see that a lot on this board. Also starting to see it a lot on another where Adam`s products has become popular. He is telling people to use DAWN to strip off zaino before applying his product. Yhea, dawn barely touched two coats of Klasse SG, like it is going to even nick some of these people`s coats of Zaino who have 7+ coats.

2wheelsx2
01-14-2003, 05:14 PM
SMR definitely has fillers in it. Dark fillers in SMR for dark cars. :)

I have found that if you really want to see how well the SMR did, you have to wash after a session with SMR to wash the fillers out. But if you are going to slap a galze and wax on afterwards, no point in washing off those oils and fillers.

paco
01-14-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by breakneckvtec

Ok, think I may have the plan set:

wash with dawn

clay

wash

3M SMR, can I use this first? Do I need a paint cleaner first?

P21S paint cleansing lotion, can I put klasse over this or do I need to wash it off first?

AIO

SG, possibly layer with platinum UPP

Ah, the dawn Enigma surfaces again :rolleyes:

Dish soap is for the kitchen... Leave it at that. It shouldn`t have a place in your detailing arsenal. At the end of the day, Dawn really does little to stripping wax. You need to apply a couple of coats to do so. Actually, there are much harser dishsoaps that probably due a better job (Ivory for e.g.) As for Dawn touching Zaino. NO WAY. Someone along the line got their information mixed up. Dawn is recommended by Sal to be used before Zaino application to removal grime not Zaino. If Zaino was removed that simply, the durability would be in the crapper. You might the crap off the zaino layer (dirt, oil, sap etc) which is good for new product application but it won`t remove any of it. To remove Zaino, SMR is probably your best bet without getting into the Alcohol groups.

Wash, Clay, SMR. I wouldn`t wash between the clay and SMR. If you want to be really obsessive, go ahead and quick detail (quickly).

If that doesn`t cut the mustard. Move up a notch on the polish.

If you`re going with AIO - No cleansing lotion needed. Anyway, AIO will remove any PPCL so no worries there.

Washing after SMR/Polish and before AIO/SG???

I would, only because I would want to ensure that the scratches were removed and not hidden by oils/fillers. A 50/50 wipe of IPA/H20 does the trick nicely.

All SMR that I am aware of have fillers in them. If you work the product long enough, perhaps those are broken down. Also, if you application method (Rotary, PC, Hand) may result in many of those breaking down and hence why some people with the 50/50 wipe see a difference and others don`t. I`d side on side of caution and do the wipe anyway.

So: Wash, Clay, SMR, Wipe/Wash, AIO, SG, Quick Detail, Admire the shine.

Paco