PDA

View Full Version : Removing dried out scotch tape from dash

HellrotCi
01-13-2003, 09:45 PM
I just bought a `94 S10 and the previous owner had taped something to the dash with scotch tape. It looks like the tape has been there for years. It seems like tape has melted and bonded itself to the hard plastic dash. I tried Goo Gone and Stoner`s Xenit without any sucess. I`ve thought about using a putty knife to try to scrape it off as a last resort. Anyone have any experience removing hardened scotch tape?

andymodem
01-13-2003, 11:46 PM
Use a flat tipped screwdriver, and put a rag over the end of it so it dosn`t scratch into the dash, and see if that will remove the hardened tape. Then just get the residue off with the Goo Gone.

Jngrbrdman
01-13-2003, 11:53 PM
I use a brush and dash protectant like Armor All or something. If you use a brass detailing brush and lots of lube then you can brush it right out without doing damage to the dash. If you see any damage then use a softer brush. The bristles need to be pretty stiff though. A brass brush was the stiffest I can find that still works without causing damage.

Accumulator
01-14-2003, 10:39 AM
HellrotCi- You might try applying a LITTLE, GENTLE heat while you do it. Also, you might try 3M`s adhesive remover. Whatever solvent you use, be sure to give it enough dwell time (which will, of course, increase the probability of damaging your dash :rolleyes: ). These can be tough; there will usually be SOME remaining damage, either from the tape or your removal efforts.

BradE
01-14-2003, 11:05 AM
Your best bet is soaking. Mix some warm/hot water with Dawn soap and spray the area and let it soak. Let it soak for a good amount of time. Respray with the mixture as needed to keep it wet. The Dawn and heat will start to disolve the glue and allow you to remove it easier.

:xyxthumbs

imported_walt
01-18-2003, 05:55 PM
no no no! the simplest singular way to do this?

Take a terry cloth rag- soak it in murhpy oil soap- then saturate the scotch tape - wait overnight or a few hours? will roll off.

* hints from heloise- the glue will coagulate- its perfect

HellrotCi
01-18-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by jmwciti

no no no! the simplest singular way to do this?

Take a terry cloth rag- soak it in murhpy oil soap- then saturate the scotch tape - wait overnight or a few hours? will roll off. I`ll give this a try tonight since I`ve got some Murphy`s. I`ll find out tomorrow morning if it works. It`s might be too cold tonight, single digits, but it`s worth a shot. If it doesn`t work overnight, I`ll try it again when it warms up, after all Heloise knows her stuff. :)

Thanks for everyone`s suggestions!

Auto Care USA
01-18-2003, 09:08 PM
solv-all and a steamer works everytime

Patrick
01-20-2003, 12:45 PM
Dab with Vaseline, let it remain overnight, then clean dash to remove excessive oils.....