PDA

View Full Version : Wash brushes

416 Auto
01-13-2003, 07:04 PM
Hey whats up guys? This is my first time so and try and make it speacil :D ..lol

I have a 01 Dakota R/T (flame red) and I currently use one of those gauranted not to scratch brushes to wash it. Is this o.k. to use and if not what is the "BEST" thing to use.

There are swirl marks in it but they came from the factory. Whats the best way to get them out.

Thanks a million.....................Clint

Brad B
01-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Welcome aboard, Clint!:wavey

As far as the brushes, I am not a big fan of them personally but you will get mixed reviews. I prefer Cotton Chenille mitts for washing, and microfiber waffleweave towels for drying.

A LOT has to do with technique. The way you clean your mitts and flush your paint surface with water to stop debris from scratching, etc. Shampoo will help lubricate and help you avoid scratches from debris especially in winter. I use two mitts. One for the top half and one exclusively for the bottom half of the car since that is more likely to pick up grit. You don`t want that one to be used on a more obvious place like the hood.

For removing swirls you need to go about it by compounding the surface then protecting. It depends how bad the damage is for what product to use.

The mainstay of products in my garage include 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound for really damaged or oxodized paint, 3M Finesse It which can take care of medium size scratches and swirls, 3M Swirl Mark Remover which is one step finer for getting an even higher gloss and removing minor swirls, and Pinnacle Paint Cleansing lotion for general surface cleaning and haze removal.

Do a search of the archives and read the FAQ sections. We have many articles on this very subject.

http://fototime.com/45F202E5693ECA7/standard.jpg

416 Auto
01-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Thanks very much for the tips. I can really use them. I will look up how to use the products you suggested.

Thanks again.........Clint

Accumulator
01-14-2003, 10:30 AM
Clinton- For more on wash brushes, check out the thread on Boar`s Hair Brushes. A few of us beat the topic to death a while back:D .

I need to figure out how to link to other threads..

Taxlady
01-14-2003, 01:33 PM
First copy the URL of the thread. Start your reply and look at all the buttons above the message area. One of them is marked "http://". Use that for your link like this: Boar`s hair brush discussion (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17707)

Iconoclast
01-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Hey clinton..I suggest buying Brad`s e-book (ha I always wanted to be the first to say it) or at least reading the first eight chapters (free). He was nice enough to give you many great hints above but everything and more can be found in the book. You`ll find out as I did you are just touching the surface.

CharlesW
01-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Hey Iconoclast:

Right idea, wrong guy. The E-Book is DavidB`s endeavor.:)

Also, I like women with short hair, and long hair, red hair, and brown hair and black hair and.....;)

Charles

Accumulator
01-15-2003, 12:17 PM
Hi, Taxlady:wavey . Thanks for the tip Re linking.

Kleanride
01-15-2003, 01:51 PM
I suggest buying Brad`s e-book

Right idea, wrong guy. The E-Book is DavidB`s endeavor.

Or maybe Iconoclast knows something we don`t!!??! :eek:

Remember the Flaming Moe and the Flaming Homer??!!

CharlesW
01-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Dale DeSteno

Or maybe Iconoclast knows something we don`t!!??! :eek:

Remember the Flaming Moe and the Flaming Homer??!!

Brad B. probably could write a book, but I don`t think he is telling anyone all of his secrets.

The one about the MF towel and PC was a dandy, though.

Charles