PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Marks and Wheels

o2ripper
01-13-2003, 04:42 AM
I have a black car...and the swirl marks are terrible!! Anyone have a process in which to eliminate this?? Preferebly polishes I can buy at any Autozone would be easiest!! :) Also, how do you prevent this in the long run??

PS> What is a good way to take car of your wheels?? What kind of wax would you apply?? My wheels are a PITA = pain in the a..

Any info appreciated!! Thank you!

imported_BretFraz
01-13-2003, 10:11 AM
Welcome to Autopia :wavey

If you go back to the Home Page and look at the left column, there`s are many detailing articles in the "Features" section.

Click on "exterior detailing" to read the articles. You`ll find info on swirl mark removal and wheel/tire care.

Also consider purchasing the ebook at www.autopia-carcare.com . Its a terrific resource and very educational.

o2ripper
01-13-2003, 02:14 PM
Thanks Bret!

Jngrbrdman
01-13-2003, 02:26 PM
waxing your wheels is pretty pointless. I don`t know of any car waxes that will stand up to the heat and crud that your wheels have to stand up to. They do make special wheel wax that seems to help. Any polymer sealant that you use on your car should work well too. I use Klasse on my wheels and it helps a lot. I know a few people who just use that spray wax stuff on their wheels. It doesn`t protect them for long but it does make them look good when its freshly applied. Wax just can`t stand the heat as well as a good sealant can.

paco
01-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Luckily you live in CA. No SNOW to contend with. That`s about 80% of the battle.

1. 2 Wash Bucket Method (one soapy, the other rinse water)

2. Sheepskin or 100% Mitt (take your time, make sure to rinse often - change rinse water if required). Note: High pressure wash can actually imbed particles into the paint.

3. Sheet the water

4. Dry with a MicroFiber (MF) towel

5. When applying products, go with the motion of the wind. i.e. on the hood, apply products from front to back (not circular). On the doors, apply up and down.

6. THINK before doing something.

Common sense really goes a long way to minimizing swirls.

Also, it`s very very very difficult to have a swirl free car. The key is to have it to a point where you are happy.

Process to get rid of swirls - Check our DavidB`s ebook and search the forum. Plenty of information here.

Quickly,

Wash, Clay, Polish (DACP, 3M FCRC/Meguiars No.2, SMR)

Protecting

Wax or Sealant

For your wheels, wax really doesn`t hold up well as stated earlier. A sealant is really the only way to go.