PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Paint cleaner & #9 Swirl Remover

airjames
01-12-2003, 01:07 PM
Just a quick question about these 2 products. Do either one of them contain any fillers in them????. I like to remove swirls as opposed to just filling them in. Tks all

Tim Lingor
01-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Which cleaner are you talking about?? DACP? #2? Speed Glaze?

Each has, I believe varying amounts of fillers. I think, DACP has the least, and it is my favorite product! What a shine, and ease of use!

#9 does have alot of oils that will fill some. But it is a swirl remover, so the filling should not be as much as a glaze (#7).

I know that 3M, also has many good products. I believe the Perfect-It III glaze does not have fillers but does remove swirls.

I am sure that one of the pro`s on the site will be able to tell you for sure!

airjames
01-12-2003, 01:23 PM
My bad, i was talking about Meguiars Premuim Paint Cleaner Mirror Glaze.

Tim Lingor
01-12-2003, 01:39 PM
I think you are refering to the Meg`s Medallion Paint Cleaner.

I have found it that it is between #9 and DACP for aggressiveness. But truthfully, I do not care for the stuff. I had much better success with DACP followed by #9 for SMR (IMO).

In terms of fillers, again, I believe(the Medallion) does have a small amount of fillers.

The easiest way is to use which ever product, then use a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl alcohol and water. Spray it on the surface after buffing and wipe down. It will eliminate the fillers and give you a clean look at what is left.

Do not over do the process unless you do not mind losing clear coat!

airjames
01-12-2003, 01:42 PM
what does DACP mean???

Tim Lingor
01-12-2003, 01:52 PM
DACP= Meguiar`s Dual Action Cleaner Polish. (#83)

It is part of their Body Shop line of products. If you do a search, you will see that DACP is a very popular product!

Good Luck!

airjames
01-12-2003, 01:53 PM
Tks man, I will check it out :xyxthumbs

Pats300zx
01-12-2003, 03:54 PM
Quick ????.... How does Meg`s DACP compare in abrasiveness to 3M SMR??? I know its more abrasive than #9....

Tim Lingor
01-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Hey!,

I have not used the 3M SMR, but from what I am told, it is in between DACP and #9. It is supposed to be a good product. The problem that I have heard is some people saying that you can get hazing if not applied properly. You also have to buy the one for either Dark or light colored cars.

Meg`s #9 has a lot of oil in it which makes it tough to wipe off sometimes. Use a MF and distilled water and it comes of just fine!

Cheers,

Tim

airjames
01-12-2003, 05:15 PM
seems to be a more heavy cut cleaner, because in the meguiars site here it says it deals with more significant swirls, stains and oxidation. This must be some pretty serious stuff and it seems to be formulated for DA polishers and rotary buffers. Then you got the Compound power cleaner and Diamond Cut compound. All 3 look like pretty good stuff, but I dunno If I would want to use any of them on my clearcoat, JMHO

shaf
01-12-2003, 05:16 PM
DACP probably "fills" as much as #9 and 3M SMR. It lists abrasives and "polish", which is glaze in Meguiarsese. If you want to take out swirls fillerless (and they`re a bit on the "bad" side) you probably want a product like Megs Fine Cut Cleaner or 3M FCRC, and I don`t think either of these has fillers. For a lighter polish I think 3M FI 2 may be fillerless (less sure about this one), but it also requires a lot of working in.

It might be simpler to just use a regular product and check your progress by cleaning it off with 50/50 alcohol once in while.

imported_BretFraz
01-12-2003, 08:40 PM
In my experience DACP and #2 Fine Cut start out about the same but DACP buffers down to a fine polish quicker. #2 tends to hold its aggressiveness. Meg`s may have changed the formulation of #2; I haven`t used it for a couple years but that is my recollection.

Meg`s #9 and 3M SMR are designed to do the same job. The differences between them are pretty minor. I feel the 3M product is better suited for machine use while #9 seems to be easier to use if polishing by hand.

Scottwax
01-13-2003, 01:36 AM
DACP is fine for clearcoats, provided you aren`t using a rotary buffer and a wool pad. With a polishing pad, you should be more than fine since the abrasives are buffered and break down to a light polish. It will remove light to medium swirls.

imported_Intermezzo
01-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by F-150_91

Just a quick question about these 2 products. Do either one of them contain any fillers in them????.

According to Meguiar`s tech support, MMPC has the least amount of fillers of any of its polishes (polishes!...not compounds, like Fine Cut Cleaner).

Also, I`ve used 3M SMR and Meg #9 several times and I`m not sure why ppl think the 3M product is stronger. It`s definitely oilier (3M), but in terms of abrasiveness, I certainly couldn`t tell a difference.

BradE
01-13-2003, 11:10 AM
DACP is not bad when used with a rotary. However it tends to breakdown very quickly when used with a rotary.

I also noted the oilyness of SMR. If you are applying it to a dark car where the surface is even the slightest bit warm you will really notice the oil content.