PDA

View Full Version : dull finish after turtle wax rubbing cmpd

Hoskard
01-12-2003, 08:36 AM
My dad applied a small amount of rubbing cmpd to a 3X5 inch area on my Lincoln navigator to remove some paint marks from another vehicle. It removed the marks and as expected the finish as well. Would a 3M polish and a PC be sufficient to restore the luster? I would have preferred to not use the turtle wax crap but it was too late before he started!

Thanks!

jimmybuffit
01-12-2003, 09:04 AM
Bummer~

I do think you are headed in the right direction... First, tho,, I`d use a simple cleaner/wax (Mother`s?) on a white applicator. Rub aggressively, and if you see color from the paint:down ...the clearcoat is toast.

If not:up , use the mildest (DACP?) polish with the PC. Odds are that the rubbing compound went DEEP into the clearcoat, so be gentle, and constantly monitor your work.

Good Luck! As to keeping Dad away from the car... you`re own your own there!

Jim

shaf
01-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Yikes! :eek: The stuff properly called "Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound" is a HEAVY abrasive and shouldn`t have been tried first (or maybe used at all!). I`m not even sure it`s labelled clearcoat safe. Really the TW product you wanted is called Polishing Compound.

Try using something light first, like the TW above (if you have it already only) or a swirl remover and see how that works. Maybe try multiple applications too since it`s only one area.

Good luck.... and what Jimamary said. ;)

Patrick
01-13-2003, 01:06 AM
Yikes !!!!!!

Very aggresive, im almost certain your CC is gone !! But keep your fingers crossed !!!!

Your first step was right on by coming here, if they cant straighten you out here, no one can....

Personally, ,i think i would clean the paint prior to polishing again, maybe cleanse, polish, seal...

I would want to get all remaining chemicals out of my paint as a next step in recovering .....To each their own...

and stay away from TW !

jerry@robs
01-13-2003, 02:02 AM
Don`t scare the guy... hehe...

I`ve used that red canister TW compound before and my hood when I had a whole-hood rust/cement overspray and I`m sure that my hood still has clearcoat on it...

The thing is, the TW compound leaves the same marring marks as 1200grit W/D sandpaper... I used 3M Medium Oxidation Remover with medium pressure and it got rid of it just fine... all by hand BTW.

DACP will work as well...

The TW stuff is really aggressive and are meant to be used for repairs and such... but it all depends on how hard you`ve rubbed.

Michael H
01-13-2003, 02:31 AM
berryj

Do not get too concerned, the problem can be dealt with by a Swirl remover (3MSMR or Meguirs Gold Class Prep & Swirl)followed by a polish with a mild abrasive polish (eg Mother Reflections).

If your car is dark in colour it will look worst than what it is.

Always use cutting compounds sparingly - in this situation it may well have been necessary.