PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire Experiment

Pages : [1] 2

rstype
01-11-2003, 05:49 PM
Ever since the introduction of Blackfire, there have been several complaints from its cleaning ability. Geekysteve used it to polish off embedded brake dust and someone else found both the protectant and cleaner to have a high pH level. CMA seems to have heard these complaints and responded by tuning “the balance of the[se] chemicals.” Below is my mini-test to test how strong the Blackfire 2 solvents are in comparison to Blackfire 1.

I took out an old CD from my rack of old PC games. I got out a black Sharpie Permanent Marker and divided the CD into 4 sections:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/372mvc-109s-med.jpg

On each section, I proceeded to apply 4 different products each with 3 squares of toilet paper.

1= Blackfire I

2= Blackfire II

3= Meguiar’s Gold Class Liquid

4= Meguiar’s #26 Paste

Here are the results after the application. I used EQUAL moderate pressure on all of the sections.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/372mvc-110s-med.jpg

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/372mvc-111s-med.jpg

As you can see, the Blackfire I (sec. 1) and Gold Class (sec. 3) took the permanent ink right off. The #26 Paste (sec. 4) removed some ink, but not as much as the other two. I believe that if I rubbed even harder, all the ink would have been polished out. Blackfire II (sec. 2) didn`t touch the marker at all.

For my control I tried water and isopropyl alcohol (not shown). The water did nothing to the marker, even with lots of rubbing. The alcohol, on the other hand, quickly dissolved the marker after some rubbing.

The difference could actually be "felt" because when I was applying the "original" BF, it felt like the applicator was grinding into the CD, similar to the way it feels when applying an SMR to your paint. However, the "new" BF went on smoothly and had a much more slippery feeling to it. - Intermezzo

My findings (while applying the two) were similar to what Intermezzo has described.

Final picture with the products buffed off:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/372mvc-112s-med.jpg

Conclusion? You have to draw it yourself. I know for a fact that BF II is a lot less powerful than the original BF or GC. But I don`t know if this makes BF I "harsh" on the clearcoat... so draw your own conclusions.

Thanks to Bolton (bjwebster) for sending out the Blackfire II sample. Congratulations to CMA for successfully "retuning the balance of polymers" in Blackfire. Expect to see a BF I vs. BF II durability comparo soon.

(Oh, and the CD I used? I used the original Blackfire to eliminate the rest of the "permanent" ink residue. Then I tried playing the game again and it worked!. BF I sure works excellent as a CD restorer.)

shaf
01-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Cool test BW! :xyxthumbs Interesting results and consistent with known information not only on BF, but with the other 2 products as well. Thanks!

EDIT: Did you notice any marring from any of the products? Or all of them since you used toilet paper...? ;)

rstype
01-11-2003, 06:44 PM
The CD was already marred from continuous use, and the toilet paper + products added even more. All 4 sections were equal in marring, so the "experiment" is better suited for testing chemical rather than physical cleaning properties.

If it was done with a soft microfiber towel and fresh CD, I assume the results would be similar to Steve and Tony`s findings. This test was done mainly for my own... uhhh... knowledge (?) and also to get a hands-on feel.

bjwebster
01-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Wow, Interesting How Little BF2 Removed In Comparison To BF1.

Nice Comparo BW!

Redcar GUY
01-11-2003, 07:17 PM
cool test! :xyxthumbs

SulVento
01-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Neat test!

Hope you dont mind, but I have now bookmarked this thread to show my wife YOUR pictures the next time she tells me I am anal about the appearance of my vehicle and the products that I allow to touch it.

:D

BradE
01-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Very interesting test BW. I would suspect the ink removed by the Meguiars #26 is due to solvent content rather than actual mechanical abrasive.

I look forward to hearing reports of durability. In the past I have stayed away from BlackFire because of durability, hopefully now things have changed.

:xyxthumbs

Preachers Sheets
01-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Nice test, now thats real life results.

George M.
01-11-2003, 08:51 PM
great test. I wish i had that much free time on my hands. lol:up

imported_killerjg
01-11-2003, 09:07 PM
One of the last post I saw by Intermezzo also asked about smearing, what others were seeing on this. Any feedback on that?

billrouleau
01-11-2003, 11:38 PM
Is that Charmin I see? LOL :D

rstype
01-12-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by 500amg

Is that Charmin I see? LOL :D

No, it`s cheap Kirkland Signature (Costco) toilet paper. I wasn`t in the mood of dirtying Charmins, MFs, or foam applicators.

Patrick
01-13-2003, 12:44 AM
Im not an avid Meg`s user, but Im assuming the #28 and the Class liquid are "waxes" or sealants ? I`am, however, a avid BF I/II user, nearly exclusively......

For your BF testing, were you using the polish or paint protectants ? :nixweiss

Great test BTW

rstype
01-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Thanks. I was using Blackfire I and II protectant. #26 and Gold Class are both waxes, "enriched with silicones and polymers."

2wheelsx2
01-13-2003, 06:01 PM
GC is supposed to be a one step cleaner wax, while #26 is not supposed to have any cleaners.