PDA

View Full Version : Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Kenney
01-10-2003, 07:37 PM
I was thinking about making some thin slices of my clay bar with a cheese slicer. This a good idea? I thought this would let me get the most outta my clay and help prevent scratches.

thanks!

Detailing NY
01-10-2003, 07:48 PM
I cut the bar in 3 pieces, i would not make it too thin though. I think you are better off having a thicker piece and using different sides more often, or rubbing around and get different parts of the clay

Brad B
01-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Kenney, I take your approach.

I cut the bar into several small sections, knead into flat individual pieces and use each, on both sides, only once. There is no danger whatsoever that the piece is thin.

The danger lies in folding the dirt and grit back into itself and re-using the clay again. Avoid this. Use the thin piece of clay on each side once until it`s dirty and then toss it. It`s very economical and best yet, it is safe that way. You will never have a surprise piece of grit reappear and scratch your car.:xyxthumbs

Detailing NY
01-10-2003, 08:04 PM
I disagree with using a thin piece. I have tried to use a thin piece and it seemed like i could not get a good feel on the car. The clay was moving around to much in my hand. Even if you knead it around, it was still too small to work with.

Maybe i cut mine to thin.

imported_Intel486
01-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Brad B. How thin do you cut the pieces? How many pieces does it take to do a whole car?

Brad B
01-10-2003, 08:23 PM
What "feel" are you looking for? Clay just glides over the surface. It takes little pressure, hardly any finesse. Just want a better grip? Just curious.

Brad B
01-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

Brad B. How thin do you cut the pieces? How many pieces does it take to do a whole car?

I can cut my pieces about 1/4" thick, sometimes less and then knead them down as thin as I can from there.

One Zaino bar, for instance, may be five or six pieces. It depends how dirty a car is on how many pieces it takes. I did my entire Carrera with four slices off one bar. I did the S4 with one bar. Most of the bar was used just on the rockers.

Detailing NY
01-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Brad B.

What "feel" are you looking for? Clay just glides over the surface. It takes little pressure, hardly any finesse. Just want a better grip? Just curious.

I like to feel the car when i am claying. I want to be sure i am going around all body lines and getting every where with it. When i cut the clay to small it just feels like my hand is on the car and not the clay

Brad B
01-10-2003, 08:59 PM
My pieces aren`t that small. They are the size of the palm of my hand. I knead them pretty thin, about a 1/32" or so. I also like to feel the curves of the car in the palm of my hand and it holds the clay in place so you don`t drop it....the kiss of death.;)

Detailing NY
01-10-2003, 09:05 PM
I got ya brad. It sound likes I cut the clay the same way since you described how yours is. I got confused I guess when he said a cheese cutter. I pictured real thin pieces of clay.