PDA

View Full Version : Orbital or Rotary

imported_buffer
01-10-2003, 11:47 AM
I was so set on getting a rotary but after reading posts posted here there and everywhere I am thinking it really isn`t a good idea. Reading about the distruction that could happen I am pretty much against it unless anyone can convince me differently. Maybe an orbital would be a better idea. Currently I have a WEN orbital 10" buffer. I have had it for some time now but never really got into it as I am more of a hand polish guy.

I was wondering if I was to use an orbital would the one I have in your opinions be a good one to use?

Wen 7010

- 10-inch tapered foam pad handles big polishing jobs

- More powerful motor than leading direct drive polishers

- 1/2 hp, 2-speed, high performance motor delivers 1,800-3,000 rpm

- Ball bearing construction for long life and smooth operation with lock on/off switch

http://academic.algonquincollege.com/staff/monteie/pics/wenorbit.jpg

Would buffing with this give me a noticable different between doing it by hand? Would it be better to get rid of oxidation because of the speed and increased heat?

Thanks

:nixweiss

Preachers Sheets
01-10-2003, 03:02 PM
I wouldn`t move up from what your using now to that machine. If you want to stay with an orbital, I would go with the Porter Cable. You can select a smaller pad to detail more specific areas of your car and it has a motor with 7 speed settings.

It will help with the time you spend on your car, I don`t think you will get better results, you`ll just save a few hours everytime you detail depending on how heavy you get into your car.

If you decide to really get into detailing, or do a couple of friends cars your really going to wish you had a rotary. The Porter Cable is nice because it saves time but when your doing several different cars you feel like your going to back to polishing by hand when you realize how long it will take you to detail a car, not even mentioning how long you will be there if the car is in bad shape.

Porter Cable if your a one or two car detailer.

Rotary if your really into it and want to detail/maintain other cars.

G Money
01-10-2003, 03:45 PM
My DeWalt rotary will operate nicely at much lower rpms than what you list for that orbital.

I typically polish at 1,000 to 1,400 rpm and stick with soft wheels and mild compounds. Pretty safe.

When a friend brings over a neglected car, I can use a red, foam wheel and something strong then finish off with Meguiar`s #9, 2.0 and a finishing pad.

I am a pure novice and can`t understand what all the fear is about rotary polishers. The potential danger IS there, I admit, but those polishing/finishing pads and #9, 2.0 are SO mild.

I love my rotary and it`s versatility.

BradE
01-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Phil,

The major danger with a rotary is the uninformed user. People who do their homework first typically don`t have a problem. It`s the people who crank it up to 3,000 RPM and use a heavy cut compound that we need to worry about.

The #1 mistake with a rotary buffer is people set the speed way to high. The golden rule with a rotary is faster is not better.

I, like you, love my DeWalt rotary and would not trade it for any other buffer. :up

shaf
01-10-2003, 03:51 PM
You can`t compare the Wen`s OPM (not RPM) with the RPM of a rotary machine. Totally different animal. 1800-3000 OPM is a bit slow by the way - I looked at that very unit once.

imported_buffer
01-10-2003, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies. I feel much better once again of the possibility of a rotary making its way into my tool chest. The concern that I have is knowing what to use and when but I guess that all comes with the reading which is something that I will continue to do.

Thanks again

:bow

imported_buffer
01-10-2003, 03:59 PM
At no time was I trying to compare the two as far as end result. I was just asking if it would be better to get an orbital considering so many view the rotary as a dangerous tool. After reading that novices use it as well I am willing to read, learn and apply.

:bounce

Nagchampa
01-10-2003, 05:00 PM
How many cars are you planning to detail?

Brad B
01-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Also, 10" is awfully large. 6" is a bit more versatile. Just a thought.:xyxthumbs

imported_buffer
01-10-2003, 08:21 PM
I would only be doing my car and my girls car.

I would be going for something a little smaller because of the versatility as you mentioned.

2000_EBP_civic
01-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Brad B.

Also, 10" is awfully large. 6" is a bit more versatile. Just a thought.:xyxthumbs

I agree 100%. I actually used to use that buffer for the better part of the summer before i moved up to the PC 7424. The 10 pad was rather inconvienent for some tight spots such as on my truck tryign to get close to the spoiler and around the mirrors. Also i don`t think you can get much in teh way of pads for that as you can with the PC ie. cutting, polishing and finishing pads.

I have yet to try a rotary so i can`t comment on that aspect of yourt question.

Nagchampa
01-10-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Brad B.

Also, 10" is awfully large. 6" is a bit more versatile. Just a thought.:xyxthumbs giggle giggle!:D

Preachers Sheets
01-11-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Nagchampa

giggle giggle!:D

Oh jeepers creepers, you dont give Brad any breaks do you hahaha :p