PDA

View Full Version : Protection on wheels

CharlesW
01-10-2003, 09:28 AM
A quote from Detail King, " I used to use it on my wheels, but I have found products that are better suited for that application."

A couple of questions for Detail King and others.

1. What products are better suited for use on wheels?

2. Are the products touted as "wheel wax" any better than a good synthetic?

At this time, I`m using Klasse AIO and it seems to do a good job, but having only used Meguiar`s Medallion on the wheels in the past, my experience is quite limited.

Yes, I searched. Lots of hits, not much specific information. And lots of threads that went so far off topic that I gave up reading them.

Charles

caddyman
01-10-2003, 09:33 AM
I usually use AIO then a few coats of SG. (washing and claying first)

imported_memnuts
01-10-2003, 09:55 AM
I use my left over Zaino and ZFX. Works great and adds sparkle to the silver clearcoated finish. There is a significant difference in terms of brake dust accumulation and ease of cleaning.

Nevertheless, I find the best method of wheel perservation is frequent cleaning... Inside and out.:wavey

DETAILKING
01-10-2003, 03:32 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6657&highlight=mothers

BradE
01-10-2003, 03:42 PM
I typically layer about 6-8 layers of Klasse SG on my chrome wheels. I have, however, started layering Zaino on them now. :up

VetteToVair
01-10-2003, 03:49 PM
i`ve read a few times on here that carnauba waxes shouldn`t be used on wheels because all of the heat produced will melt the carnauba. how hot do the outside of your wheels actually get? sure it`s hot on the inside, but i`ve never felt anything as warm as a car`s surface on a hot summer day. a lot of times i use carnauba on my wheels just because i have tons of waxes that i dont use anymore. i can honestly say that my wheels bead up almost as long as my car would normally bead. i`m guessing the slightly quicker deterioration is due to brake dust, not heat. do your wheels really get hot??? Please shed some light on me

C. Charles Hahn
01-10-2003, 04:17 PM
actually the front surfaces of the wheels can get extremely hot depending on how long and hard you`re braking for. Also it depends on what the wheels are composed of. Some wheels may get hotter/faster than other wheels.

VetteToVair
01-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

actually the front surfaces of the wheels can get extremely hot depending on how long and hard you`re braking for. Also it depends on what the wheels are composed of. Some wheels may get hotter/faster than other wheels.

Thanks SLD. That`s the answer i was looking for. i guess i should borrow your avatar for a while...

edwin907
01-10-2003, 08:33 PM
AIO works great for my GTI`s wheels.

Haven`t really tried any SG on them yet, as they clean up very well.

Would like to try "Wheel Wax" as I`ve heard good things about it.

imported_memnuts
01-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by stanger99

i`ve read a few times on here that carnauba waxes shouldn`t be used on wheels because all of the heat produced will melt the carnauba. how hot do the outside of your wheels actually get? sure it`s hot on the inside, but i`ve never felt anything as warm as a car`s surface on a hot summer day. a lot of times i use carnauba on my wheels just because i have tons of waxes that i dont use anymore. i can honestly say that my wheels bead up almost as long as my car would normally bead. i`m guessing the slightly quicker deterioration is due to brake dust, not heat. do your wheels really get hot??? Please shed some light on me

The facts it the wheels themselves may or may not get very hot but the heat generated by the use of the brakes radiate quite a bit of heat. This is radiated in short burst with each use of the brakes. These short burst of heat can be very hot. The reason your wheels never feel very warm is because of the convected cooling effect of the vehicle moving. Wax is perfectly okay for wheel preservation and appearance. It just is not as long term (relatively speaking) as a sealant. As I mentioned earlier that the best care is frequent cleaning ( detailing after use - daily) and frequent protection application.:wavey

CharlesW
01-11-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by edwin907

AIO works great for my GTI`s wheels.

Haven`t really tried any SG on them yet, as they clean up very well.

Would like to try "Wheel Wax" as I`ve heard good things about it.

My thoughts, exactly. The AIO "seems" to do quite well. Like you, I have heard good things about Wheel Wax, but have yet to find anyone that has actually used it. That seems to often be the case with new products and many times the hype far outweighs the performance. Obviously Detail King has had experience with Mother`s Wheel Polish, and based on the overall quality of Mother`s products, it might be worth a try.

As a side note, has anyone ever heard anything bad about any Mother`s product? I haven`t.

Charles

edwin907
01-11-2003, 12:33 PM
I`ve talked to a few people that have used "Wheel Wax" from the tire rack, they said it works very well and that the wheels don`t seem to hold the brake dust near as bad. I`m going to get new rims for the GTI, still haven`t decided what, but I`ll probably try "Wheel Wax" then and see how it works out.

It does have the reputation as a good product, as do all the Mother`s products.

nate010753
01-12-2003, 10:17 AM
Would it be possible to use BF2 on wheels ??

imported_ThreeSixT
01-12-2003, 12:48 PM
I use Wheel Wax religiously and love it. It does a great job cleaning and protecting against brake dust buildup. Also, it eliminates the necessity to use a hose....very easy to use :xyxthumbs