PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Tire Cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

Beemerboy
07-31-2004, 10:10 AM
Currently I`m using a strong degreaser and a stiff brush. For most all cases this works well, but in some cases the tires do not come clean and require me scrubbing again. Especially on older ones that have not been cleaned in a while. They still have a hazey look to them.

Who`s using what with good results?

Thanks

G35stilez
07-31-2004, 04:00 PM
I use Simple Green Full Strength with a brush

or if they are in really rough shape, TOL`s Wheel Wash, full strength, let sit for 30-60 secs, then scrub and rinse.

I haven`t really had any problems, but sometimes white letters take 2 tries.

Boss_429
07-31-2004, 04:38 PM
BeemerBoy,

Yep, sometimes neglected tires take a couple scrubbings. I like to use APC 4 to 1 (4 part water/1 part APC), and scrub/rinse them first with that. Then, I will take some Bold & Brite, spray it on the tire, and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then, I will dampened the brush with some water and scrub them again, and rinse. When agitated, the B & B actually has some nice cleaning ability. When dry, I apply some more B & B (or TR and then B & B) to my liking.

rabbi
07-31-2004, 04:57 PM
I`ve been using Westley`s Bleche- White forever. I was told on here a few days ago that the brown stuff that Bleche-White takes off the tires is not a good thing( I thought the brown stuff was dirt). The brown stuff is in the rubber is some kind of protectant. I can not dispute this claim but I can tell you i`ve been using this product well over twenty years and I`ve never noticed a tire problem.

Boss_429
07-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Rick,

Yep, some of that "brown" stuff probably was dirt, and some of it could be the stuff they put in the tires to protect them from cracking/rotting (from UV rays). Hard to say just what was being cleaned off.

Anyhow........... and please don`t take this wrong,............. I`ve never been a fan of Westley`s Bleche-White. I happend to see what Blech-White can do to an expensive wheel, if not rinsed off thoroughly, and quickly. Now, if you never make the mistake of doing that.......... your fine........... make it once, and you will be upset. Of course, there are other products that can also damage wheels......... the same care needs to be taken.

Just my 2 cents.

Woob
07-31-2004, 05:12 PM
I too have the wheel dilema. I decided to just pick up some Hi Temp Extreme APC. APC + Didn`t really work well and I`ve tried Greased Lightning on a brush. HOpefully 4:1 Extreme will work.

The browning is caused by Antiozonants that come out to fast. They are chemicals built into the tire to make sure they last longer. Too much dressing brings more browning.

rabbi
07-31-2004, 05:19 PM
Come on Bossman! No way would I take what you tell me the wrong way. 1 reason is I`m not smart enough to know when someone is being offensive to me and the other is that I know what you tell me is make it easier and or enlighten me.

SouthernZ71
07-31-2004, 07:35 PM
Full APC (generally SG) and an assortment of brushes. For white letters/walls, I have a medium grade brass brush.

Bill D
07-31-2004, 07:41 PM
If you still have APC+, 4:1 water to APC+. Also, I bet this could be worse than the Westley`s, but at least it`s localized: maybe try a Mr. Clean Erazer bar

awd330
07-31-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429
Anyhow........... and please don`t take this wrong,............. I`ve never been a fan of Westley`s Bleche-White. I happend to see what Blech-White can do to an expensive wheel, if not rinsed off thoroughly, and quickly. Now, if you never make the mistake of doing that.......... your fine........... make it once, and you will be upset. Of course, there are other products that can also damage wheels......... the same care needs to be taken.
:yeah I damaged a set of alloy wheels with the Wesley`s product in the mid 1980`s. :( I haven`t touched the stuff since then.

rabbi
07-31-2004, 08:47 PM
Well I am getting low on Westley`s so when I`m out I`ll try something else. So what APC do you use?

groebuck
07-31-2004, 08:49 PM
Black magic makes a tire cleaner I just picked some up - I`ll let you know when I get a chance to try it

clean4u
07-31-2004, 08:57 PM
Im using Purple Power right now. Im making sure idont get on any high end wheels when i clean tires,but if i do i rinse right then and there to save myself any headaces or heartches if you know what i mean? Im open to any suggestions on other products though!

Bill D
07-31-2004, 09:00 PM
Perhaps one of the new Meguiars APCs. It`s a shame EO no longer has just a seperate tire cleaner, only A2Z now. I heard the pure tire cleaner was very good :( One product I saw in passing at a CarQuest is Duragloss white wall cleaner. Duragloss seems to have a good reputation, maybe that product would be worth a shot too.

Woob
07-31-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by groebuck
Black magic makes a tire cleaner I just picked some up - I`ll let you know when I get a chance to try it

I just bought Hi Temp Extreme APC that Anthony recommends. Hope it goes well.

Where do you pick up this stuff? AAP is the best around here for me, but I haven`t gone to Pepboys. Let me know how ur details go