PDA

View Full Version : Polish on Plastic bumpers

simon tx
01-09-2003, 01:17 PM
I a newbie here, so excuse the dumb question:

So people apply AIO and SG or like products to plastic bumpers and body moldings?

I know those parts are painted, but I don`t think it is the same as on the car body.

Please help

imported_BretFraz
01-09-2003, 05:29 PM
The rule of thumb here is if the plastic cladding looks just like the body paint (same color, gloss, and texture) then treat it the same as regular paint.

If the cladding is molded in some color but is not glossy and you can see/feel a texture, treat it like your interior plastics with a water-based protectant incl a UV sunscreen. Something like Vinylex would be perfect for body cladding or molding.

Accumulator
01-10-2003, 11:12 AM
I use AOI and BF (and, occasionally Autoglym SRP) on lots of exterior black plastic trim (numerous Audis, a Jaguar, a Mazda, an old Volvo- NOT newer ones, a Subaru WRX, a Lincoln LS). I`ve even used Meguiar`s #16 and Collinite without any staining (wiped it off immediately, like with P21S and Souveran, which I`ve also used on trim). I`m surprised by what I can get away with treating this way. Of course, Zaino fans tend to Z2 trim also.

I got tired of the dust attraction, constant re-applying, streaking in the rain, etc. that I got with EVR treatments. I DO like the look, too.

FWIW, the textured black trim on the bottom of some Audi`s IS painted. Found this out at Stoddard Imports` body shop (plug :xyxthumbs)when my wife`s `94 S4 got rear-ended :mad:

BIG disclaimer that this is just MY experience; I`d hate for someone to mess up their ride based on my $.02 (I find that I say that with a lot of my posts).