PDA

View Full Version : Why did it take so long?

baker999
01-09-2003, 10:59 AM
I just did the first exterior polish/wax job on my Tahoe and can`t believe how long it took. The result are incredible but it took me over 6 hours to wash, polish, and wax. From what I`ve read here, it doesn`t take most of you that long (or you wouldn`t be in business). I have the wash and wax timing down but I think the polish took WAY too long.

My question for you is - How long do you work polish on an area (assuming the 2 sq ft recommended everywhere) that has some swirls but no major defects? I`d also like to know how long it should take to polish a Tahoe?

Thx

Jngrbrdman
01-09-2003, 11:05 AM
An experienced detailer wouldn`t have been able to do it a whole lot faster. I would say that it would take one man anywhere from 4 to 6 hours to do what you did. Quality takes time. There are somethings you can do faster than others once you are comfortable with your technique but other things just take time. It depends on how bad the swirls are and how many times you have to graduate up to something more agressive to get them out.

I did a Suburban that had swirls from hell on it and that took me 6 hours to polish and apply one layer of UPP. All they wanted me to do was to polish out the swirls. I did treat the dash and vacuum it out, but that`s about it. It was also a job I charged $200 for. As long as I`m making about $30 an hour while I`m detailing then I don`t care if I`m doing one car or 6 cars. At the end of the day it all spends the same. :) I didn`t schedule any other cars for the day I did that truck.