PDA

View Full Version : Premium Detailer & How Many Souveran Coats

edwin907
01-08-2003, 08:30 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Turtle Wax Emerald Series Premium Detailer?

I actually have a bottle of this in my garage, although I`m not sure when I got it, but it says it has a "high gloss polymer finish" and is carnuba enriched. I don`t think I ever opened it, but a direct quote:

"Emerald Series Premium Detailer provides a uniform, deep luster to the car finish. This premium detailer contains no powders or clays and does not leave any residue in cracks, crevices, or other intricate auto surfaces."

Would this be suitable as a canuba enhanced detailer for the Souveran? Or what does everyone else use to QD the Souveran?

I have the Eagle W&S which is OK to use, and the Sonus which isn`t. So how about the "Premium Detailer", safe to try on the Pinnacle, or should I pitch it into the nearest dumpster like most of the Turtle Wax products? Keep in mind that I am certainly going to do at least a couple of Pinnacle coats.

I finished the first coat of Pinnacle Souveran on the Black GTI this afternoon, and it does look exceptional, very liquid, very nice over the 4 coats of Klasse SG. Going to put another coat on tomorrow evening in the garage where the VW is sitting till then.

So how many Souveran coats should I use? It says to wait 12 hours for the first coat to "cure". How about following coats?

Keep in mind that this is a black car that will spend most of it`s time in the elements.

Many thanks for all the great advice I have received searching this forum, and to the members here which are the most civilized in all of Al Gore`s internet.

Edwin

Jngrbrdman
01-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Carnauba doesn`t need to cure. You can just layer it on coat after coat for as many as you want. I`ve never used that particluar QD so I can`t really say if it would be good or not. I`ve never seen a polymer QD before. I would imagine that its ok to use. Unless a QD has some kind of cleaner in it (I`ve never seen one of those either) then I don`t know of any QDs that you can`t use over a carnauba.

ClimberGuy4
01-08-2003, 11:05 PM
I`ve always heard that you should wait at least 12 hours after applying a coat of wax. This gives it time to harden. Apparently you lose the benefits of layering if you do it right after. There also isn`t any point in putting on more than 2.

jimmybuffit
01-08-2003, 11:19 PM
I do not know if carnuaba requires time to cure - my guess is no.

But, I think Souveran accomplishes much of it`s success through the `additives`, as much as the carnuaba. Those `delivery vehicles` (petroleum based?) make it happen, as most of us agree.

The insert with the product clearly says: "Procedure For Layering Wax:

After polishing, wipe on and buff the first layer of Souveran. Allow this layer to cure for 12 to 48 hours. Follow with a second coating. Notr: The first coat must have time to cure. APPLYING A SECOND COAT IMMEDIATELY WILL NOT PRODUCE THE SAME RESULTS."

So, they`ve tested the product more than I have. I`ll let time tell the story.

BTW, that P21S is pretty cool. It is on the `other` half of my tester.

Jim

imported_NHBFAN
01-09-2003, 12:26 AM
I wouldn`t put a turtle wax product on my mailbox!