PDA

View Full Version : Off to good start?

domZ'sp5
01-08-2003, 02:09 PM
After extensive research here...

I have dove into a better pc. Picked up the Porter Cable 7336SP at Lowe`s for $109.

Then I ordered two orange power pads from CMA plus velcro backing plate.

I need to do a little swirl removal on my new 2002 red Mazda Pro5 and a swirl removal and oxidation removal from my wife`s white Nissan Pathfinder.

Of, course, I have WAY too many products,to apply, including 3M SMR and GPEC polish and Meg`s #7 and and and and...you know how that goes.:rolleyes:

Is this a good starting point?

Those orange pads seemed like the most versitale of the pads on CMA.

I have been using Meg`s #26, s100 and just tried 3m perfect it paste wax, (which I really liked!)

Heck, actually I like all three so far...and I will probably continue to apply them by hand.

DomZ

imported_memnuts
01-08-2003, 02:57 PM
Sounds like you are off to a great start. Enjoy the neverending ride towards the perfectly detailed vehicle.:bounce

imported_BretFraz
01-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Yeah, you`ll prolly need a more aggressive polish than what you listed unless you have other stuff. That Pathfinder will need something like 3M Fine Cut compound or Meguiar`s DACP before the SMR step.

After the SMR you might want to skip the glaze and go straight to the wax. Its up to you but if you use the SMR correctly the paint should be almost perfect and swirl free.

Sounds like you`ve got a handle on it, though. Good luck.

2wheelsx2
01-08-2003, 07:48 PM
As bretfraz suggested, you might want to experiment a bit. I found that I liked #7 on some vehicles, and didn`t on other ones, depending on its colour and finish.

domZ'sp5
01-09-2003, 11:17 AM
Does anyone know if the 3M SMR for dark colors is a big NO-NO to use on a white car?

I think I read once here that the dark-colors SMR has a little more oils or something like that.

Anyone have any thoughts?

DomZ

Accumulator
01-09-2003, 11:43 AM
domZ`sp5-I`m NO expert on 3M SMR; only used them a few times. But I CAN tell you that the one for dark cars is darkly pigmented. I assume :rolleyes: it`s in the fillers. Dark fillers for dark paints. Even just looking at the bottle, I sure wouldn`t use it on a white car. If you want to use SMR on the Pathfinder, I`d spring for some made for light-colored vehicles. Or try some Perfect-It III (I hear it doesn`t have any fillers) or Griot`s Machine Polish 3 or or or! Lots of choices out there.

imported_Goose
01-09-2003, 08:37 PM
i used some 3m smr for dark colors on my pewter truck with no problem so i dont see no problem with using it on white