PDA

View Full Version : Terry Cloth vs. Microfiber

BMW325i
01-08-2003, 04:16 AM
Alright - For a year or so now I have used terry cloth, the ones you find at your local pep boys. Now I don`t see much mention of terry cloth towels on the forums, everyone seems to use microfiber. So, what is the difference between the two and why is microfiber better. Am I hurting my paint by using terry cloth and I just haven`t noticed yet?

Jeffrey

BoxsterCharlie
01-08-2003, 07:28 AM
I don`t know what kind of terry cloth you are using, but it is possible that it has some polyester in the weave (at least at the edges), in which case you may be putting some fine scratches in the paint. No big deal, really, at least nothing you can`t fix.

What is a big deal is that you are wasting your time and the best results by not using microfiber. It is one of those revolutionary products you simply must try.

Tons and tons have been written here about it (do a search). The big point is, go out and get some! Pick up some today--decent examples are available at your local AutoZone, Target, or Walmart; then tonight place an order for a dozen from Pakshak.com or one of numerous other premium vendors.

You won`t regret it! Most of us even use them for non-car stuff too--they are THAT much better than cotton rags!

-Charlie

Murrayhe
01-08-2003, 07:31 AM
Are there differences in the quality of MF towels? I see many different ones at walmart and even at bed bath & beyond for cheap. Now I go online and see some that are quite expensive.

autohubgroupph
01-08-2003, 07:49 AM
There is a wide variance in quality if MF towels just like cotton ones. Some of the best ones that don`t cost a whole lot are Pakshak, JT International, and Microfibertech. Pakshak is a member here, and you`ll get the best prices sending him a private message or e-mail. JT International is e-mail based only. Send an e-mail to Tom Gong at jtintern@hotmail.com. And you can check out www.microfibertech.com but I think the owner is also a member here.

Try to get a decent sized waffelweave for drying your car after a wash, otherwise terry are what we use for interior and exterior detailing

imported_memnuts
01-08-2003, 08:50 AM
There is no comparison after you use a high quality MF. I am a recent convert ( Thanks PakShak,MicrofiberTech and DF Towel :bow ). Great towels, quick service, and nice people. Do not analysis MF`s by using a locally available poor quality example. Some good quality MF`s are available but shop around. Like after you use a premium quality wax or sealant, you will never good back.

Here is a picture of MicrofiberTech Elite and Ultra (top 2) and PakShak ( bottom 2 )

Also there was a Abay sale on high quality MF`s for $2.25 (16x16) PM waynejitsu and inquire ( he will be out of town until Sunday):wavey

Murrayhe
01-08-2003, 09:05 AM
How can you tell if a MF cloth is good or bad? By feeling it? Looking at the makeup? The brand?

imported_memnuts
01-08-2003, 09:16 AM
By purchasing from reliable sources like the providers previously mentioned. They are detailing nuts also. I know when I purchases from these guys that the product is going to be good. If a new inexpensive source blossoms I may purchase a couple to test the water ( i.e. waynejitsu`s sale on Abay) and if of good quality ( wayne`s are very good) take advantage of the opportunity.:cool:

Mutilator
01-08-2003, 10:00 AM
You can also do the CD test you see people talk about here. Things like NicSand (what you`ll find at auto stores/walmart) are not so good... while things like you buy from the venders listed above are very good.

I use to use terry cloth towels when I first got zaino (before I found this site) because that`s what Sal said to do. Then I found this place and bought a couple miracle towels from CMA to give a try. I`ve been hooked since. Now my JTI towels are for my car, the CMA towels are for dusting around the house. :)

IMO they`re superior in every way when compared to cotton towels.

Accumulator
01-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Just wanted to throw out an unsolicited plug :D for microfibers from YoSteve.com. No scratching (but, of course, watch those edges!), no linting, good durability. And Steve is another great guy to do business with.

A caveat: while I use lots of Griot`s products, I DID NOT like their microfiber towels. Not nearly plush enough for me. Their plusher "polish removal" ones marred an admittedly VERY soft paint job. Returned a BUNCH of them; got more from Steve. No more marring.

Also, I`d suggest that you immediately check ANY microfibers for linting. Microfiber lint, ESPECIALLY on your windshield, can drive you nuts. If a towel DOES lint, try washing and machine drying (on extra-low temp or even the "air dry" setting) it a few times. If it still lints, send it back. All of the reputable suppliers will take them back, and often it can be a case of a single bad batch that lint like crazy whereas seemingly identical replacement ones don`t lint at all.

Bill in Atlanta
01-08-2003, 11:19 AM
I would also recommend YoSteve`s MF towels...the best I have used. After de-swirling my Porsche, I have used YoSteve MF towels exclusively since with no swirls ( and I have looked in every possible way...direct sun, soda lamps at gas stations,dealers, etc.).

I would also recommend YoSteve MF apps, and I believe they are on sale now.

Bill

imported_Intel486
01-08-2003, 05:07 PM
I`ll also have to plug Yosteve.com

His are the only MF towels I have found that don`t lint on glass. I love them!

Hawkeye_TDI
01-08-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by BoxsterCharlie

I don`t know what kind of terry cloth you are using, but it is possible that it has some polyester in the weave (at least at the edges), in which case you may be putting some fine scratches in the paint. No big deal, really, at least nothing you can`t fix.

Charlie

I find it interesting that while polyester thread in a cotton towel can cause fine scratches in your finish, that MF`s are 70% polyester.

I was very skeptical of Mf`s for that reason. I have since come to love them. Now they are absouluty mandatory in my detailing tool box! The CD scratch test tells it all really.

:bow :bow :bow

BMW325i
01-08-2003, 10:00 PM
I will definitly get some mf towels and add them to my arsonal of detailing products then.

Jeffrey

imported_memnuts
01-09-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by BMW325i

I will definitly get some mf towels and add them to my arsonal of detailing products then.

Jeffrey

Be careful. MF`s are like money... You never have enough of them or it ;). Presently I have 3 orders in the pipeline ( MicrofiberTech, PakShak and Waynejitsu). Received the Microfibertech towels (ultra) yesterday. They are great!!!:xyxthumbs

Hawkeye_TDI
01-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Be careful. MF`s are like money... You never have enough of them or it ;). Presently I have 3 orders in the pipeline ( MicrofiberTech, PakShak and Waynejitsu). Received the Microfibertech towels (ultra) yesterday. They are great!!!:xyxthumbs

I agree, the ultras are excellent.!:bounce :bounce :bounce