PDA

View Full Version : White bath towels vs MF towels

imported_NHBFAN
01-07-2003, 11:50 PM
Why does Zaino recommend 100% cotton U.S. made bath towels to remove it`s product while just about everyone else recommends MF?

Would I get good results using white bath towels with Klasse SG and Blitz?

Scottwax
01-08-2003, 12:12 AM
I have no idea why Zainos would recommend bath towels over microfiber.

I am sure you would get good results with bath towels, but as a late convert to the microfiber craze, you will get better results with mf towels. Take it from someone who has bought about 75 since first trying them this summer.

Yes, with a detailing business, I need that many, maybe more!

iceman
01-08-2003, 12:20 AM
I`ve got my new MF towels coming next week. I`ve been using the 100% cotton towels a la Zaino but they produce some micro scratches on a CD. Probably okay on the paint anyway but the Meguiar`s MF that I have now produces no scratches on the CD even with vigorous scrubbing. Though I did produce faint marring with the edges which are quite prominent. The MFs coming should be better with regard to the edges.

I like the nap with my 100% cotton Royal Velvets for washing but the bloody edges are fraying like crazy as I cut the borders off beforehand. I might have to try the JT International Ultrafines for washing when I get them.

Knight
01-08-2003, 12:23 AM
They don`t assume people know what MF towels are. MF towels are somewhat new compared to Terry cloth towels. LOL( understatement) It might be simply because Zaino realizes that the normal consumer shopping for wax will know what a terry cloth towel is. Outside the world of Autopia there are people that still have never heard of a MF towel.

Having said that, use MF towel.

:up

Redcar GUY
01-08-2003, 12:25 AM
I think when MF`s first came out there quality was poor and they got a bad rap. The newer ones have came a long way ....

dbruene
01-08-2003, 12:43 AM
Zaino is quite easy to wipe off if applied correctly. I used both types of towels on my car on the same coat and didn`t quite see any difference in the outcome. If Zaino had good enough results using readily available cotton towels, I wonder if they would bother to test again with MF. However, as you can see in so many threads, MF towels are indeed more "detail-friendly" as it`s particularly designed to avoid scratching sensitive surfaces.

Contact Pakshak and get a set of high quaility MF towels at a very reasonable price.

jerry@robs
01-08-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Knight

They don`t assume people know what MF towels are. MF towels are somewhat new compared to Terry cloth towels.

:up

True, very true... people will start asking what in the world MF`s are... It`s easier to find good 100% cotton towels than good MF`s off the shelf.

iceman
01-08-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by ejant

I asked Sal last summer about MF towels and he says they will scratch. This is why he recommends 100% cotton USA made Fieldcrest towels.

I myself like using the DF towel on Zaino.

Aren`t the DF towels about 5-6x the price of JT International or Pakshaks? Granted they are 26x16 instead of 16x16 but still quite pricey. Do you know if Autopians get a significant discount?

BTW, I find the Fieldcrest towels suck at absorbing water to dry the car. I can`t wait til my Waffleweave arrives.

Scott P
01-08-2003, 09:44 AM
I think Sal`s opinion was that he`s seen varying levels of quality with MF towels. We all know that there are several types of MF out there and ones we wouldn`t touch our finish with. I think it`s easier for Sal to recommend a brand name like Cannon or Fieldcrest available widley rather than jtintern, pakshak, cma viper, etc...

imported_NHBFAN
01-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Are MF towels superior to 100% cotton bath towels for removing polish/wax?

DETAILKING
01-10-2003, 01:21 PM
It has to do with the quality contol of MF towels. We have found that even the best brands get bad batches. I think they are great, but one has to be very careful.....

As for buffing off zaino polish, I feel a cotton towel is best. You have to turn the towel frequently, and if you were using MF towels for this task you would go through at least 5-6 of them for one car.

imported_Intermezzo
01-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by iceman

BTW, I find the Fieldcrest towels suck at absorbing water to dry the car.

LoL. Mine too! They just suck the water right up. Oh wait, you mean suck in another way. j/p :)

In my experience, when it comes to Zaino removal, cotton towels require the least amount of effort. As long as the product is fully dried, it takes almost no pressure at all and just a few swipes to completely buff an area.

imported_NHBFAN
01-10-2003, 05:31 PM
Which would be better for removing KSG a large bath towel or several MFs?

iceman
01-10-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by DETAILKING

As for buffing off zaino polish, I feel a cotton towel is best. You have to turn the towel frequently, and if you were using MF towels for this task you would go through at least 5-6 of them for one car.

Are you saying that there is a difference in effort or amount of residue removal between buffing Zaino and other polymer sealants? If so, what makes buffing Zaino with cotton different than say buffing Platinum, AIO, or Blackfire with cotton. ie why does the majority of Autopians currently prefer MF towels for these non-Zaino products? Do they also seem to use 5-6 MF towels for one car in removing Blackfire or AIO as you suggest would be required to buff Zaino?