PDA

View Full Version : cheap digital cameras

imported_Goose
01-06-2003, 08:45 PM
hi i was wanting to get a digital camera just a cheap one for about $150 is there any cameras out there in my budget that are half way decent i just want one that will take pics of cars when i go to shows and take pics of my car thanks

Pats300zx
01-06-2003, 08:50 PM
Check this out:

Digital Camera Reviews (http://dpreview.com)

Jngrbrdman
01-06-2003, 09:02 PM
A $150 camera isn`t going to make you very happy. If you can shell out a few more bones then you could find a Canon A20 or A40 and really be happy. I`ve had both of them and haven`t ever regreted it. Great value for what you get. :xyxthumbs

Taxlady
01-06-2003, 09:02 PM
I`ve got a real cheap digital camera that I got 3rd hand. The advantage of buying a cheap one, is that you will have a much better idea of what you want when you spend the bucks to get a good one. I already have a buyer for mine ;)

C. Charles Hahn
01-06-2003, 09:08 PM
ya I`m still on my "cheapie" and looking to upgrade... definitely looking the direction of a Canon G2 or D60... that or a sony P71 or better.

damian
01-07-2003, 12:02 AM
I`ve also been in the market for a decent digital camera in the $150-$200 range. Have you looked at the Kodak CX4200 approx$189? In comparing it to similar cameras, incl. Sony and Canon, IMO it has the best color representation and image sharpness for a 2 megapixel camera. You would lose some clarity if you were blowing up and printing you pictures larger than 4x6. However, the images on a 19" monitor do look great. I like the Canon A40 too, but it costs a bit more $249.

shaf
01-07-2003, 12:48 AM
Wow! What a coincidence, I`m also shopping around for a "relatively cheap" digicam! :xyxthumbs

I`m not as limited by price range as I am by my minimum requirements. The reason why I`ve given up on cameras priced that low ($150 USD) is because once you`ve bought a substandard camera and you want a better one later on, it`s $150 that you probably won`t get back.

I figured I wanted:

-2 megapixel minimum (good for decent 5x8 or 8x10 pics)

-optical zoom capability (forget the digital zoom :down)

-<1 foot macro

-good image quality and capability to deal with different lighting conditions

That last one is a biggie actually, because while there are tons of cameras out there that satisfy the other requirements, not all seem to be able to deal with low lighting situations (exposure and/or focus) and not all of them have equally good picture quality (colour tone, crispness, chromatic abberattion (purple fringe), etc).

Some of the more simple cameras I had considered included several of the 2mp and 3mp Kodak cameras. They are very well priced (up here anyway) for the basic stats they offer (zoom, megapixels). Also the highly recommended Fuji 2600z (discontinued) because of its excellent image quality and inclusion of NiMH batteries and a charger. Unfortunately, both of these options are relatively feature-poor, and offer fewer advanced control options.

For some reason, the highly acclaimed Nikon Coolpix 2500 is always overpriced here. Darn PC Magazine review.... :-/

For not much more money than the Fuji (my 2nd favourite), I`m pretty sold on the Canon A40. :up It offers more features and more advanced controls than its competitors and most people seem happy with its image quality. Among the features it has that other point-and-shoot cameras don`t have are:

-Auto focus assist light :up

-manual exposure control

-sound when recording movie clips

-ability to accept external lenses using an adapter

Now to try and get this purchase "subsidized".... :D

imported_Goose
01-07-2003, 04:29 PM
i think im gonna wait and till i got more money to spend on a better camera