PDA

View Full Version : Need help with customer request

ezd96
01-05-2003, 12:12 PM
:nixweiss

I have a customer that is reconditioning his 16` 1960 Orlando Clipper all aluminum hull boat. He wants me to clean and polish the outside of the hull. Anybody have suggestions how to approach this situation.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Scottwax
01-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Need to know more about the condition of the boat. Is it repainted? Original? Most boats are gelcoat, so you need slightly different products to handle them. Meguiars carries a full line of boat and RV cleaners, polishes and waxes.

imported_Intel486
01-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Might want to talk with NYDetailer. He has done a lot of detailing with boats.

Redcar GUY
01-05-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

Might want to talk with NYDetailer. He has done a lot of detailing with boats.

what he said:xyxthumbs

ezd96
01-05-2003, 08:12 PM
The hull is only aluminum and is not painted. I will be looking at the boat this weekend for the first time and will take photos to post.

My first thought would be to wash the hull with a 50/50 solution of water and muriatic acid.(I have tried this process with the diamond plate side rails on the bed of my truck with success then polish.What a pain!)

Second, Maybe some sort of polish just for aluminum Mothers,Meguires ect..

Just like to know if it is this simple or is there one more process I`am missing and a polish that may be better than a off-the-self brand.

safetyman2010
01-05-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by ezd96

The hull is only aluminum and is not painted. I will be looking at the boat this weekend for the first time and will take photos to post.

My first thought would be to wash the hull with a 50/50 solution of water and muriatic acid.(I have tried this process with the diamond plate side rails on the bed of my truck with success then polish.What a pain!)

Second, Maybe some sort of polish just for aluminum Mothers,Meguires ect..

Just like to know if it is this simple or is there one more process I`am missing and a polish that may be better than a off-the-self brand.

You are correct about the wash but I would be VERY careful with the muratic acid as it will etch the metal if used improperly. I use a product called Autosol when polishing the aluminum tanks and wheels on Transport trucks and it works great. It is probably going to take a long, long time but it will polish up like a mirror if you do it right. I use a wool pad with autosol at around 1700 rpm and just keep going until the metal is nice and shiny. Good luck.

P.S. A nice product to use is jewellers rouge. It usually comes in a bar and you may be able to buy it at the local truck stop. I know you can get it from www.eastwood.com if not. A little different to use but really does a nice job.

ezd96
01-05-2003, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Your link took me to Eastwood Tourist Lodge? Not sure they sell jewellers rouge? Where do you find Autosol?

Thanks

Dave

www.flmotorsports.com (http://www.flmotorsports.com)

Tim Lingor
01-05-2003, 11:17 PM
Shineshop is right about the Autosol. It is an excellent product, but as he said, it will take a long, long time. I did my 12` aluminum fishing boat. I used a foam pad on a rotary. It took darn near 3 hours!!!! And the process is really messy!!!!

Autosol is available in autoparts stores like Lordco or others.

It is made in Canada by:

Canadian Trade/Autosol,

Mississauga, Ontario

Canada

L5S 1L4

(it is made from the original German formula)

If anyone has an easier answer on this one, I would really like to hear it!

I hope this helps!! :)

Cheers!