PDA

View Full Version : extracting the headliner?

marvin salud
01-05-2003, 12:41 AM
Heard that this helps to get the tobacco odor out, but I`ve also read somewhere that extracting will cause the fabric to become unglued. Anyways, has anyone had any experience with this situation?

ryeh2o
01-05-2003, 09:57 AM
Do your normal cleaning of the headliner, then spay it with Frabreeze. (that is not a correct spelling, but it is close enough to get you the product ). The stuff works great!

jessispop
01-05-2003, 11:47 AM
the only way I have found that truly gets rid of smoke smell is an ozone generator, both my parents are heavy smokers and after I purchased my generator from www.ozone1.com, theirs are the first cars I did, one 45 minute treatment each and the smell was gone, I have a small unit which cost around $300 but it has more than paid for itself in the short time I have had it, I have heard some people charge $100 dollars or more just to put his machine in someones car.

jimmybuffit
01-05-2003, 01:58 PM
In a past life, I owned a Martini and Cigar Bar. Ozone generation works, no doubt about it!

For cars, I have a small unit that will do the job in an hour or so.

I still think that deep extraction of the upholstery and carpet is mandatory.

The combination will make customers for life!

This is the unit that I use (http://www.ecolivingsystems.com/products-living-air-bora.htm) , but I think you could find it for less than $400!

Jim

BradE
01-05-2003, 03:27 PM
Do not use an extractor on a headliner. Most headliners are material glued to a cardboard backing. The water will destroy the glue on the back of the material causing it to sag, and it will also warp the backing of the liner.

imported_Intel486
01-05-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

Do not use an extractor on a headliner. Most headliners are material glued to a cardboard backing. The water will destroy the glue on the back of the material causing it to sag, and it will also warp the backing of the liner.

I agree!

Extractors spray down a good amout of water and mine sucks pretty hard. I can imagine it might actually tear the headliner.

You might want to see if you can get the headliner replaced.

marvin salud
01-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I found this site a month ago and have learned a lot because of it. An ozone generator is one of the items that I plan on getting in a few months. In the meantime i will use Febreeze and see if that works.

Fr0zen
07-02-2003, 11:57 PM
That actually Happand to someone I know Twice Once with a hot water steamer trying to clean scuff marks and once from the sunroof being open during a storm the headliner sagged like 4 inch`s.

imported_phareous
07-03-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by jessispop

the only way I have found that truly gets rid of smoke smell is an ozone generator, both my parents are heavy smokers and after I purchased my generator from www.ozone1.com, theirs are the first cars I did, one 45 minute treatment each and the smell was gone, I have a small unit which cost around $300 but it has more than paid for itself in the short time I have had it, I have heard some people charge $100 dollars or more just to put his machine in someones car.

Which model do you have? I see they have "AutoZone" which plugs into the cigarette lighter...but 45 minutes on the car battery would be quite draining wouldn`t it? I see on their site they recommend leaving the a/c fan on high so I guess you have to crank the car and let it idle for an hour?

imported_rookie
09-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Jimmy,

that link was to a professional website design company. I know that was a mistake, so what was the model you use again?