PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

silvesterstromae
01-04-2003, 11:28 PM
I guess I missed the point of this forum but after reading through the posts for about a week, I realized that this forum is for people who detail as a business.

If I was interested in doing this as a business, how would I get started? I`ve been checking prices on the waxes and polishes used and they`re awfully pricey. How do you guys purchase these products? Wholesale?

Also, if I wanted to get started, what`s the easiest way to get your name out?

-gambit

C. Charles Hahn
01-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by gambit

I guess I missed the point of this forum but after reading through the posts for about a week, I realized that this forum is for people who detail as a business.

not all of us do this as a full-time business. There are several "just enthusiasts" on here (albeit less and less of them- more this is becoming a "pro`s forum".) ;)

I would try a search of the "Professional Detailers" forum to answer your questions, as the topics have been discussed in great detail there previously. :up

samiam513
01-04-2003, 11:35 PM
most here in this forum do it as a hobby. Just a peacecfull thing to do for us, or we just love cars (some both).

Either way we want perfection, nothing less.

Some of us take it to the next level (which you obviously want to) and are doing it for the joy, and to make ends meet. We talk in the "pro detailers" forum about advertising, time managment, money issues ect... over in http://www.autopia.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=37

P.S. When you look at it, a $15 jar of wax which lasts 30wax jobs means you are spending 50cents per waxing. That pretty darn good compared to most stuff today...

Happy detailing!

Jngrbrdman
01-04-2003, 11:39 PM
You have to understand that most of us are enthusiasts and not doing it for a living. Somone doing this for a hobby is going to use totally different products. A hobbiest isn`t going to need a 50 gallon drum of rubber protectant. Professionals are buying industrial strength products in bulk quantities. Most of them aren`t using waxes that cost 70 dollars per can. You can`t pass that kind of cost along to your customer.

There are several sites you can get started buying in bulk from. It just depends on how much business you are planning on doing. There are companies out there that can get you set up with everything you need to start a mobile business. There are other companies you can order from to just purchase the chemicals you want to use.

If you are doing this as a hobby and are just going to be a "weekend warrior" then you can shop online for totally different products. There are a few professionals here who use things like Zaino, Klasse, P21S and Pinnacle products in their businesses. Most of the time you can purchase similar products in bulk that will cost less than the fancy packaged general consumer products. It just depends on how serious you want to be about detailing? Are you looking at being a mobile detailer or are you going to open a shop?

silvesterstromae
01-04-2003, 11:52 PM
D`oh, I guess I got the wrong impression of you guys.

I`m more interested in doing this as a hobby but I wouldn`t mind applying the skills I learn to make some pocket money.

Most of you guys end up shopping online? How adequate is Wal-mart at supplying detailing supplies? I picked up a 16 oz. bottle of Mothers California Gold for less than $5. I also noticed they sell some Mcguier products like Gold Class wax.

Jngrbrdman
01-05-2003, 12:05 AM
I think all of us keep our eyes on the automotive sections of Wal-Marts and Targets. You can get some good stuff there. Most of the rest of it can be purchased at PepBoys and AutoZones or other automotive stores. I`d bet that you won`t spend more than 2 months on Autopia before you are ordering online though. There are some things that you just can`t buy in the stores.

Scottwax
01-05-2003, 12:16 AM
You should have no problem finding a Meguiars distributer in your area to purchase their Mirror Glaze and Body Shop Professional cleaners, polishes and other products if you want to explore the business end of detailing. Poke around in the professional detailer`s forum. Lots of threads about starting up, suppliers, etc. Some of the detailers just do it as a side and others like myself, NYDetailer and Shine Shop depend on detailing for our livelyhood.

There is a huge range of experience that should satisfy your quest for knowledge.

stang922
01-05-2003, 01:10 AM
yo guys say it the best. i would like to have my own my business. i use to work detail at a ford dealer some years ago. but i see things has really change. iam going to take my time and get all i can learn. this place is the best.:xyxthumbs

imported_Intel486
01-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

A hobbiest isn`t going to need a 50 gallon drum of rubber protectant.

Actually, most of the time they are 55 gallon drums... :rolleyes:

Just messin` :D

gambit, I think 95% of the people on this board detail as a hobby. We don`t care if you are a hobbiest or a Pro. Come join in!