PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Guard

imported_edschwab1
01-03-2003, 06:54 AM
Some of you my remeber a thread from Carguy about a thread on a M5 board discussibg Crystal Guard. Well crystal guard is finally imported, availablity is limited. Check out their website (http://www.crystalguard.com)

Eric

Murrayhe
01-03-2003, 10:00 AM
You can`t even buy it. The link to buy goes to C:\My Documents\ !!

1andrews
01-03-2003, 10:40 AM
The link is fine

www.crystalguard.com/

goes to there

1andrews
01-03-2003, 10:53 AM
very strong marketing claims, yet they try and remain sane about it.

I`m very curious about this product, and hope someone does a review of it soon. I just blew all my funds for car care products for the next six months, so I can`t do it!

Anyone have an opinion on this product?

Don`t take it wrong!

Many people say "If you claim a hardness of 6 then key your car. It shouldn`t get scratched with that, right?!!" The answer to this question is "It could be scratched." CrystalGuard has a hardness of approximately 6, however, it`s only 0.5 to a few microns thick and can not protect against intentional scratches and strong impacts. You can add strength by adding more layers but still it is only a few microns thick. Large impact such as a big rock hit may be able to break the layer. Even with natural dust, some % of those are harder than a hardness 6, and may scratch the CrystalGuard layer if you wipe the body with a towel without washing. However, CrystalGuard is still much stronger than other sealant products. It minimizes the possibilities of scratches and maximizes protection for the entire body of the car dramatically.

-crystalgaurd.com

C. Charles Hahn
01-03-2003, 12:28 PM
I might just have to email them and see about getting a sample kit if any are available....

imported_Intel486
01-03-2003, 03:35 PM
Interesting Claim. I don`t totally doubt they can make a synthetic protectent that gets extremely hard. I`m atleast glad they tell you how thin the coats of wax is and don`t go making some totally unreal claim of "prevent all scratches."

imported_Dude
01-03-2003, 05:11 PM
I`ll try it. Shiny, are they sending you a sample?

2wheelsx2
01-03-2003, 05:26 PM
The whole hardness claim is out of whack. They use Moh`s hardness scale for minerals (I am a geologist by schooling), so that stuff should be as hard as glass. A simple test would be to use your fingernail to try to scratch it. 7 is harder than glass. As a matter of fact, 7 is the hardness of Si02, which is crystalline silica. So you should be able to take a piece of glass and rake it over the paint and not get scratches.

Up to that point, they had me interested. After that, forget it.:down

C. Charles Hahn
01-03-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Dude

I`ll try it. Shiny, are they sending you a sample?

I emailed them, but they haven`t replied with a yes/no about the sample yet. :nixweiss

imported_Intel486
01-03-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

The whole hardness claim is out of whack. They use Moh`s hardness scale for minerals (I am a geologist by schooling), so that stuff should be as hard as glass. A simple test would be to use your fingernail to try to scratch it. 7 is harder than glass. As a matter of fact, 7 is the hardness of Si02, which is crystalline silica. So you should be able to take a piece of glass and rake it over the paint and not get scratches.

Up to that point, they had me interested. After that, forget it.:down

Well, if I get some of it and someone lets me use their car, then I`ll apply it and rake glass over it.

So, anyone have a car I can use?

DCT
01-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Hmmmmm........... 8 times tougher than other polymer sealants? I don`t know, I guess I still subscribe to the theory "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is!". Then again, I`ve been wrong before! :D

shaf
01-03-2003, 08:57 PM
If it`s so hard, is it less flexible? :nixweiss

One of the more technical debates about synthetic vs. carnauba waxes involves talking about how synthetics can be made flexible so they expand and shrink with the paint rather than just crack and fissure (supposedly like carnauba wax does). I have trouble seeing how it can be both hard and pliable.

Nagchampa
01-03-2003, 09:09 PM
I guess this is the place for a skeptical yet honest evaluation.