PDA

View Full Version : Winter Paint Protection idea

BoxsterCharlie
01-02-2003, 03:12 PM
All new cars before they leave the factory are protected in various ways from the elements to preserve them. This can be as simple as sheets of white plastic wrapped around the hood or much more involved. On my Boxster, a product called “cosmoline” was sprayed on the undercarriage and perhaps much more (I wish I know where it was used). It is a thick coating of some material—if you think about the rubber cement you used in grade school art class you may not be far off.

Anyway, I was thinking about using this product—if you could find it—to seriously prep our cars for the winter. Imagine washing your car in October and spraying this stuff everywhere below the beltline, maybe even the front of the hood. Come spring you could peel it off—now this would be a lot of work, but wouldn’t you do it in exchange for the guarantee of NO road salt on your finish?

Anyone have experience with a product like this or have any insight? Does this idea make sense?

Mindflux
01-02-2003, 03:24 PM
Quite a few people on this board use 3M Clear bras.

www.xpel.com, www.stonguard.com, www.invinca-shield.com

I had this on my 98 GTI. I *LOVED* it. I had it on the front of my hood, my fender flares.. It`s saved me numerous times.

Now with my 02. I have the kit sitting in my closet, I don`t have anyone professional around town willing to do the work, since it`s relatively unheard of down here in TX. As opposed to CO.

Well, now I`ve got a damaged side mirror with nicks down through the clear from someone`s door.. this is another place I had Clear Bra applied on my 98. So I`m already too late on the new car :(

I think I`ve also got a nick on one of my fender flares where I have Clear Bra material for.. I should have gotten this stuff applied MONTHS ago :( But now I have stuff to FIX before I can.

Anyway, it`s good stuff.. get it for your leading edges like the edge of the roof meeting the windshield, your hood, your fender flares..

You can only really see it from 5 feet away or less, it`s virtually invisible on lighter colored cars.

BoxsterCharlie
01-02-2003, 03:31 PM
I already have (and love) my stonegard--on my Boxster anyway. That takes care of the front of the hood, front bumper, side mirrors (actually I removed those because they were ugly), even a piece near the gas filler and near the front wheels.

But that still leaves the sides of the car and back bumper...which get a ton of crap on them...not to mention the 2 other cars which are actually driving when it is snowing and ugly--and they`re not worth a stonegard treatment.

White968
01-02-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by BoxsterCharlie

Anyone have experience with a product like this or have any insight? Does this idea make sense?

Not really feasible. Cosmoline will protect metal for…hell, I`m not sure anyone knows how long. It`s a soft, messy grease you can brush on or spray on. Removing Cosmoline is a son-of-a-gun where you have to use some pretty good solvents. Not only is it used for autos and auto parts but is used extensively in the arms business. Coat a gun with cosmoline and put it away and it will probably be rust free for a century.

Mark

nate010753
01-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Do they even use cosmoline anymore. I know they used to use to to transport cars to and from various dealerships. Now a days I see they come in with white platic sticker like coats of paper.

YoSteve
01-04-2003, 01:55 AM
spray paint booths are lined with a latex based paint on coating that goes on liquid and dries in a thin film that peels completely off

the stuff rocks for that application

as for cars, I`d consider using it on the inside of my wheels, the hardest nicest looking part to keep clean.