PDA

View Full Version : Since The Two Towers is out: Who would win in a fight?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Intel486
01-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Since The Two Towers and the 2nd Harry Potter movie is out we better start another one of these threads.

The original is between Harry Potter and Frodo: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16517

Now we Have Gandalf the White from LOTRs and Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter

BoxsterCharlie
01-02-2003, 03:36 PM
You got to be kidding...

Dumbledore would be a good match for Gandalf the Gray, but c`mon, after Gandalf killed the Balrog and turned white, not even close! :D

Cool Poll :up

Jngrbrdman
01-02-2003, 03:43 PM
I`d put my money on Gandalf any day of the week. Dumbledore might live through the first assault, but he`d never get one off of his own. Anyone who could take down a Balrog and then come back so his buds could buy him a tankard could take anyone. I`ve never seen Dumbledore fight anyone though. I guess I`d have to see that first. I`m still going to say that Gandalf would kick his scholastic arse. :D

shaf
01-02-2003, 07:41 PM
While rewatching the first movie, I noticed in the Mines of Moria that Gandalf can really kick it and flee like crazy for an "old" guy! :eek:

He`s probably ripped under all those robes. :p

imported_Intel486
01-03-2003, 01:52 AM
What is Gandalf? He really isn`t a person, he is like a spirit or something. Anyone who read the books know?

iceman
01-03-2003, 02:05 AM
Are you kidding me? Gandalf would wipe out Dumbledore easily. But are we talking about wizard/ magical spell stuff or physical eye-gouging extreme fighting? Even in a streetfight, Gandalf would probably win, considering how fast his CGI character ran in the mines of Moria, as 4DSC pointed out. After his fight with the Balrog and return as Galdalf the White, he would probably kick Saruman`s sorry butt also!

Can`t wait til Return of the King!

TortoiseAWD
01-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Intel486

What is Gandalf? He really isn`t a person, he is like a spirit or something. Anyone who read the books know? Gandalf (also known as Olorin) is one of the Istari, Maiar sent from Valinor by Ilùvatar on missions to help the people of Arda.

OK, that probably made no sense to you if you haven`t read The Silmarillion. Ilùvatar (aka Eru) is essentially God, the "all-father". Ilùvatar`s first creations were the Ainur, a rough parallel to angels of Christianity. Ilùvatar and the Ainur created Arda (of which Middle-Earth is part) in The Ainulindalë, a great song of creation.

So, the Ainur are sort of like arch-angels; of these, the Valar are the more powerful, and the Maiar are the lesser spirits of the Ainur. The Istari (plural of Istar) were five (or maybe more) beings (Maiar in the guise of men; the wizards) sent to Middle- Earth by the Valar to unite and counsel the Free Peoples in their struggles against Sauron. They were forbidden to dominate the Free Peoples or to match Sauron`s power in order to defeat him themselves. Saruman disobeyed this order and aided Sauron and built an army of Orcs in Isengard. (see http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Maiar and http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Istari)

From Tolkien`s Unfinished Tales:
We must assume that they (The Istari) were all Maiar, that is persons of the `angelic` order, though not necessarily of the same rank. The Maiar were `spirits`, but capable of self-incarnation, and could take `humane` (especially Elvish) forms... Now these Maiar were sent by the Valar at a crucial moment in the history of Middle Earth to enhance the resistance of the Elves of the West, waning in power, and the Men of the West, greatly outnumbered by those of the East and South. It may be seen that they were free each to do what they could in this mission; that they were not commanded or supposed to act together... and that each had different powers and... were chosen by the Valar with this in mind.

Tort

Jngrbrdman
01-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

Gandalf (also known as Olorin) is one of the Istari, Maiar sent from Valinor by Ilùvatar on missions to help the people of Arda.

OK, that probably made no sense to you if you haven`t read The Silmarillion. Ilùvatar (aka Eru) is essentially God, the "all-father". Ilùvatar`s first creations were the Ainur, a rough parallel to angels of Christianity. Ilùvatar and the Ainur created Arda (of which Middle-Earth is part) in The Ainulindalë, a great song of creation.

So, the Ainur are sort of like arch-angels; of these, the Valar are the more powerful, and the Maiar are the lesser spirits of the Ainur. The Istari (plural of Istar) were five (or maybe more) beings (Maiar in the guise of men; the wizards) sent to Middle- Earth by the Valar to unite and counsel the Free Peoples in their struggles against Sauron. They were forbidden to dominate the Free Peoples or to match Sauron`s power in order to defeat him themselves. Saruman disobeyed this order and aided Sauron and built an army of Orcs in Isengard. (see http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Maiar and http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Istari)

From Tolkien`s Unfinished Tales:

Tort

:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

mercedesfanatic
01-03-2003, 12:48 PM
I`m gonna have to chime in and say that Yoda would kick both their butts:cool:

ashsarna
01-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Gandalf rules!!

2wheelsx2
01-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

Gandalf (also known as Olorin) is one of the Istari, Maiar sent from Valinor by Ilùvatar on missions to help the people of Arda.

Tort

Holy smoke! That was an amazing amount of info. You da man! :bow

TortoiseAWD
01-03-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Holy smoke! That was an amazing amount of info. You da man! :bow Heh, Google is your friend. You don`t think I pulled that off the top of my head, do you? :D

I did wade through the entire Silmarillion once, back in high school. Actually, I did a book report on it . . . I picked the book because I had read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and really enjoyed it. I had no idea I had signed up to review what is essentially the Bible of Middle Earth. You could write more than one essay on just the creation story . . .

Tort

2wheelsx2
01-03-2003, 06:21 PM
Yeah, but you still had to wade through a pile of info. I must get around to reading the trilogy some time. I have only read "The Hobbit", but not the other ones. I had resisted it for years, but after the movies, I think I`ll have to.:bounce

TortoiseAWD
01-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Yeah, but you still had to wade through a pile of info. I must get around to reading the trilogy some time. I have only read "The Hobbit", but not the other ones. I had resisted it for years, but after the movies, I think I`ll have to. Definitely read the books; you`ll get a lot more out of them. The movies have been great so far, IMO, although the most recent deviates from the book quite a bit. I don`t mind, though, `cause Jackson seems to "get" Tolkien. Although they may not be 100% true to the printed version, I`ve really enjoyed both films, and the extended DVD of the first movie is awesome.

Comparing the books to the films is really an apples to oranges comparison in many ways . . . fortunately for me, as a fan of the stuff since high school, I like both apples and oranges. I have my fingers crossed that some exec at the studio will get Jackson to sign on for a version of The Hobbit someday . . . I wonder what will happen to the Hobbiton set in NZ when the third movie is in the can? Smaug in all of Weta`s digital glory sounds like good stuff.

Tort

2wheelsx2
01-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Gotcha there. I am a huge sci-fi/fantasy fan. I normally have read all the books made into movies before they are done. However, when I was in high school, I started to read the Rings trilogy, and find the background setting of the Fellowship difficult to wade through. Now that I am older (ahem...significantly:) ) I guess it`ll be easier. I agree that Jackson seems to understand what advanced fantasy readers want to get out of the films, which are fantastic visualizations of some of the descriptions.:xyxthumbs

I personally would like to see Jackson do a version of Robert Jordan`s Wheel of Timer series. :D