PDA

View Full Version : s100 vs Zaino... rock chipping?

Riccar
01-02-2003, 11:52 AM
I got two cars, a Mercedes E320 and a VW Passat. The benz has been waxed with S100 religously about every week and the VW with Zaino Z2 every week. Both cars are driven daily and what i noticed is that the benz has been prone to stone chips a lot more than the VW during the same period. boths cars are driven the same amount every month along the same roads. yet the VW only has a chip on the hood and on the nose plus a big ugly gouge along the front edge of the wheel well. the benz has several on the hood and a few on the fenders.

does that mean Zaino is more resistant to chips than the s100?

on another side note, the s100 finish looks a lot better than the Zaino plastic-coated look on the VW.

:nixweiss

bigpoppa
01-02-2003, 11:57 AM
I think design of the front of the car plays more of a part than what wax/sealant product you use. I just doubt that a micro thin layer of product could repel stone nicks, etc. If the front of one car is `flatter` and another is more rounded - I`d bet the flatter one has more chips.:wavey

autohubgroupph
01-02-2003, 12:56 PM
I use Zaino and must have 50 rock ships on the hood of my car in one year. Now wax will block the force of a rock.

paco
01-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Could simply be a case of the different paints used by the manufacturers. Also, do both cars get driven on the same roads etc.?

Lastly, as stated above, the design of the hood and front bumper assembly could also play a significant factor.

Time for Xpel.

imported_Intel486
01-02-2003, 01:51 PM
There is a lot more to this.

The different types of paint on the cars, the design of the front end, where the car is driven (highway, very rocky road, what speed it normally goes at. Stop go traffic probably won`t get you any rock chips), etc.

The wax coating is way to thin to provide any protection from things like rocks. The best way to protect from rocks is to get a product like Xpel.

rstype
01-02-2003, 02:55 PM
1.) VW has softer paint than MB

2.) The E320`s front end is less aerodynamic than your Passat`s

3.) Jealous individuals prefer to throw stones at more expensive vehicles ;)

4.) The Passat`s daily route is prone to less damage than the E320`s

As others suggested, try www.xpel.com. No amount of wax or sealant will protect your paint from chips...

Lowejackson
01-03-2003, 07:56 AM
I do remember seeing some wax on QVC where the man said it protected the paint from stonechips :D

It would be nice to think a wax/polymer could protect paintwork but it can`t. Remember that most of the chips on paintwork come from the stones grit etc being thrown up by the car in front of you. Increasing the distance between both cars should reduce (but not stop) the amount of things hitting your car.

Steven